Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What aren't I understanding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:49 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: What aren't I understanding? Reply with quote

About 5 years ago I got an extended disqualification.

Both car & bike licences vanished.
Throughout this year I've slowly decided to get back out on bikes - not getting any younger Embarassed so I'm faffing about with some test apps.

Obviously during all this time I've been doing eBike courier work, my roadcraft hasn’t been wasting away.

What do you make of these screenshots?
Who does a left lifesaver for a right turn?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:01 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you enter the hazard and just before you exit.

To see cnuts sneaking up on your 7 o'clock.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large roundabout presumbly 2 lanes. You'd normally be in the right lane indicating to go around and then cross to the left lane as you pass the exit before the one you want. Changing lanes to the left = left shoulder life-saver.

Rule 185 with a pretty picture for you:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:45 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Re: What aren't I understanding? Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
About 5 years ago I got an extended disqualification.

Both car & bike licences vanished.
Throughout this year I've slowly decided to get back out on bikes - not getting any younger Embarassed so I'm faffing about with some test apps.

Obviously during all this time I've been doing eBike courier work, my roadcraft hasn’t been wasting away.

What do you make of these screenshots?
Who does a left lifesaver for a right turn?

If you thinkabout it some more, you'll remember you don't turn right to enter a roundabout, even if you're taking the right hand exit.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see why roundabouts probably see more accidents than any other manoeuvre.
At least half don't really use them correct or can't be bothered to use indicators at all as too lazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When turning right on a roundabout before exiting you always do a left lifesaver because someone could be following you around in the left lane.
Happens all the time, people have no fucking clue how to use roundabouts. I got hit in my car a few years ago because some old guy thought the right lane was for going straight forward and didn't look before exiting.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:29 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it more simply. When using a roundabout, you make two left turns. Regardless of which exit you are taking.

One turn as you enter the roundabout which is effectively joining a road from a give-way junction and the second as you exit which is like turning off a road into a junction.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
To put it more simply. When using a roundabout, you make two left turns. Regardless of which exit you are taking.

One turn as you enter the roundabout which is effectively joining a road from a give-way junction and the second as you exit which is like turning off a road into a junction.

But you still indicate right if you're going around past the 12 o'clock exit.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
You'd normally be in the right lane indicating to go around and then cross to the left lane as you pass the exit before the one you want. Changing lanes to the left = left shoulder life-saver.

This makes sense, just a poorly worded question Laughing I do this on the eBike so it wouldn't be a test issue, I guess you don't think of the theory behind it while you're doing it.

Thumbs Up

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 26 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the ones that continue to indicate right when they are actually turning left and off the roundabout that annoy me.

Last edited by Capt Sisko on 15:10 - 29 Nov 2023; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 26 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Pete. wrote:
You'd normally be in the right lane indicating to go around and then cross to the left lane as you pass the exit before the one you want. Changing lanes to the left = left shoulder life-saver.

This makes sense, just a poorly worded question Laughing I do this on the eBike so it wouldn't be a test issue, I guess you don't think of the theory behind it while you're doing it.

Thumbs Up

If you're not on top of the theory, then perhaps you need more training before your test.
Nothing wrong with asking your instructor to mansplain the craft and the theory that drives it.

It is not common sense.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 19 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

If you're not on top of the theory, then perhaps you need more training before your test.
The fact that I haven't had a single issue in all the years i've been on the roads, in whatever capacity, suggests I'm good with the theory.

I'm all for accepting when my understanding is below the level of 'safe' one needs to be at, my driving was which earned me the disqualification. A poorly worded question on a test isn't a reflection of my abilities.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1