Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seeking recommendations on a quality helmet lock

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 15 Jan 2024    Post subject: Seeking recommendations on a quality helmet lock Reply with quote

I would like to know if any riders on this forum can recommend a quality helmet lock. I just acquired a BMW G310R, and was disappointed that there is no provision for me to attach my helmet to the bike. I am aware that there is a risk to leaving my helmet attached to the bike any time it is parked in a public area, but I would at least like to secure it rather than drape it over a mirror, Harley rider style.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53464842956_04c5f08cba_w.jpg
I have one of these on my YBR, but it is a bit flimsy, in my opinion. Better than nothing, to be sure, but I'm hoping to find a better option.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53465156904_2b39566c6f_w.jpg
This one looks more robust, and has the added benefit of motorcycle theft deterrent; but I prefer something I can bolt to the bike. It almost looks like you could work the lock over the ball end of the clutch lever, and that would render the lock useless.

The factory helmet lock on the R1150R was really slick - nothing beats factory. Anyone here have a good suggestion?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jan 2024    Post subject: Re: Seeking recommendations on a quality helmet lock Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
I would like to know if any riders on this forum can recommend a quality helmet lock. I just acquired a BMW G310R, and was disappointed that there is no provision for me to attach my helmet to the bike. I am aware that there is a risk to leaving my helmet attached to the bike any time it is parked in a public area, but I would at least like to secure it rather than drape it over a mirror, Harley rider style.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53464842956_04c5f08cba_w.jpg
I have one of these on my YBR, but it is a bit flimsy, in my opinion. Better than nothing, to be sure, but I'm hoping to find a better option.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53465156904_2b39566c6f_w.jpg
This one looks more robust, and has the added benefit of motorcycle theft deterrent; but I prefer something I can bolt to the bike. It almost looks like you could work the lock over the ball end of the clutch lever, and that would render the lock useless.

The factory helmet lock on the R1150R was really slick - nothing beats factory. Anyone here have a good suggestion?

Anything you buy is only ever going to be a deterrant to a walk by casual thief, nothing will stop a determined one. With this in mind option 2 above seems fair enough.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:29 - 19 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/7LZyIuR.png

I just use one of these, looped between the chin of the helmet and the handlebar yoke or pillion handles.

Quick easy and lightweight. Long enough to go through a jacket arm too if its hot and I cant be bothered carrying my jacket for a walk through town.

If someones gonna go through the hassle of cutting that off then nothing is gonna stop them. And probably better than the OEM types that just have a slot for your helmet D rings because they just have to cut the strap to get it off. Sure it makes the helmet useless but the kind of scrote who nicks a helmet is either to pose with it ragging his 2 stroke fart machine round a council estate and doesnt care, or stick it on FB marketplace for a quick tenner and not care.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 20 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6' length of plastic covered steel cable that I keep under the seat ( it coils up quite small) it has a loop crimped into either end. I use it in conjunction with my disc lock. I use it for my jacket and/or my lid but the points already mentioned regarding security still apply.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 21 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, guys. I like the idea of looping a cable around the chin bar on my helmet. I recon a 30cm length would allow me to hang the helmet on my left passenger peg, loop the cable through the helmet and frame, and secure it with a small padlock. Maybe I'll try that and if it doesn't work, then try a frame mounted helmet lock.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 21 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely lock my lid to the bike, probably done it about 6 times in the last 10 years. In the past I have had someone kick the shit out of a lid and try to rag one off. But that's like anything attached to a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 22 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
In the past I have had someone kick the shit out of a lid and try to rag one off.

Is this a euphemism I've not previously encountered?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1