DIY electronic cruise control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Christ, it's like trying to read something typed by someone whilst they are having a stroke.

It is not my first language. Show of your skills in Polish.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Christ, it's like trying to read something typed by someone whilst they are having a stroke.

It is not my first language. Show of your skills in Polish.

I prefer Mr Sheen over a beeswax one.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruise control's one of those features that's relatively easy to implement with a "fly by wire" throttle. The ECU (or piggy-back if you offload the task to an Arduino) can then do little niceties like automatically cancelling cruise control when you touch the brakes or clutch. All done in software with loads of scope for safety tweaks like distance radar.

Electro-mechanical? No thanks, don't fancy a servo jamming on me.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Cruise control's one of those features that's relatively easy to implement with a "fly by wire" throttle. The ECU (or piggy-back if you offload the task to an Arduino) can then do little niceties like automatically cancelling cruise control when you touch the brakes or clutch. All done in software with loads of scope for safety tweaks like distance radar.

Electro-mechanical? No thanks, don't fancy a servo jamming on me.

The distance radar is rather hard to find. I have not found any specs for car radars that are available on eBay or so. And the ones available for arduino do not have inaf range. As for jamming the servo it is possible. That’s why o use a high end one for four years with no problems whatsoever.
Ofcourse one can use a car actuator but it’s bulky and relays on vacuum wich motorbike engines do nat have plenty of. There is also a complete unit all in one from a gmt400 tucks and GM cars from that era like 4th generation Camaro or firebird. It is very cheep but also big and would not fit under most bikes seats. And it’s

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chester240, I'd like to be helpful and constructive.

To be honest, I don't think this idea has merit. Of course it's possible to do this, but the reason it isn't offered on all bikes is that there isn't demand for this feature on all bikes. The added utility is marginal, and comes with R&D and production costs, which may only be justified on higher end models which can command a higher price in the market. I think you'd be better off with a bike that already comes with cruise control, if that's what you really want.

There are possible engineering and safety issues with this electronic solution. It hasn't been tested and approved by authorised regulatory bodies, and I'm not sure it's wise to proffer this as a home brew solution. If you'd like feedback on it, perhaps take it up with the manufacturers themselves.

My suggestion is this: take your Arduino and motorisation skills, and devise a method to save millions of motorcyclists' lives, instead. Design and make an automatic wiper that fits onto a helmet's visor. Every year millions of motorcyclists die when it starts to rain. This is a tragedy, and you with your skills can surely step in here and put a stop to this menace, once and for all. Put up a Gofundme right away, get those preorders in, and get to work on it. I apologise for any spelling and grammatical errors in this post. I will come back and revise it as many times as necessary. Good luck.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:44 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Of course the bake front or read cancels the CC. If there is no brake signal at startup it will not turn on. When the speed exceeds the the max it stops working. When you loos speed sensor signal it stops working. If the microcontroller brakes it stops working, when the signal, power or ground to the servo is cut it stops working. Older motorcycles do not have steering position sensors , i do not know if modern have, so i could not use it to cancel the operation. The clutch is incorporated in to the drive by wire version but i did not use it in my linkage version. The clutch in dl1000A only sends signal when fully engaged. I never fully engage a clutch even when stationary. During riding i only use two fingers on the clutch. I only need to press it fully to start the bike. I had a version of the device with a current sensor circut to cancel the CC with throttle twist but i decided to turn it off. Never realy needed it. And the whole device is 3D printed from ASA. How strong do you think it is. A strong twist and it brakes of. If this feature is requested i can easily incorporate it. It will take same time to code and test it but hardware side is simle.

Thank you, it does have safety features despite looking very basic.

Once you've got that working reliably, you'd be able to sell them easily if they were road legal.

You could call it Throttle Friend and it would save lives.

Have you ever done crowd funding? If you make some CGI videos to show and explain how it works and the safety benefits of Throttle Friend then you'll get lots of money to make Throttle Friend.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this visor wiper is a joke. Putting something on a helmet is considered foux pas since the Schumacher accident. Event on a trackday they asked me to remove the camera for safety issues.
And as to why there is no cruise control on older bikes. It is probably money. All big touring Harleys since the 90’s have a cruise control. As well as Honda Golding. Also triumph tiger 1200 had a cruise control from the start. You could not have heeted grips but CC was standard.
Now almost every new bike has a CC even bmw s1000rr have one. New tracer gt wich is not a premium bike have an adaptice CC with radar and all the bells and whistles. It is a lot cheaper to implement with ride by wire. Many bikers do not know they want a cc because they never had a bike with one. I for once, when it comes to next bike, CC will be a priority. Over power, looks and sound.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to find a radar unit to use or get one custom made from somewhere cheap in China because then you could have Throttle Friend™ with the benefit of being adaptive.

That version could be called the Throttle Friend with Benefits™.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schumacher got quadrospazzed because he hit his head on a rock and not because he had a camera on his helmet.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:59 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Schumacher got quadrospazzed because he hit his head on a rock and not because he had a camera on his helmet.

Having anything mounted to your helmet is going to have an effect in the event of an impact and if a go pro mount is impacted then that's going to put lots of force through the area that the mount is attached to instead of the force being spread across a larger area.

There's huge amounts about it online but there isn't a conclusive answer apart from that sticking anything to your helmet isn't without risk.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The news that got to me was that he hit a rock, but first the rock hit a camera wich disturbed the shock disipation over a larger area. I have never researched it. So maybe I’m talking out of my ass.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s clever, interesting, seems well executed (by yourself) and you didn’t need to scam the public crowdfund to make it. Great stuff. However, your insurer would deny all liability if you crashed, or even if someone crashed into you. There’s a reason you haven’t told them. Wink

Approval for road use would be an expensive exercise I’ll bet, and marketing the device without approval puts you at huge risk of being sued should someone else decide, rightly or wrongly, that your design caused or contributed to an accident.

I’ve never had a problem with the throttle hand. The clutch hand though… sometimes ‘Ouch!’

Firmly, no. Well done though. Have fun. Don’t die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:26 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure headfirst into a boulder with an impact that split the helmet in half and gave him a skull fracture wasn't particularly affected by the camera.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/12/28/13/79401529-12904085-image-m-46_1703768396306.jpg

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know how insurance companies work in UK or other parts of the world but that’s not the case here. My fiend some time ago bought a cbr f4i from Italy. The bike had no insurance, no MOT. Hell it was not even registered. The license plate was from a scooter. And the friend in question had no bike drivers license. Within a week he had an accident. Some guy in a van did not give the right of way and he ended up in hospital for almost two week. He got full refund from the vans drivers insurance. And the insurance insurance co does not ask about that kind of stuf. And anyone who would like to sue for that kind of reason probably would loose. No one is forcing to install it. Even self driving Tesla is not liable when you crash due to faulty operation. You are not supposed to sleep/wach tv/ read a book during driving. All those systems require constant supervision. You do it at your own risk. People are very keen to risk if there is someone else to blame.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:21 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pretty sure headfirst into a boulder with an impact that split the helmet in half and gave him a skull fracture wasn't particularly affected by the camera.

The helmet splitting in half sounds like the type of thing that could happen if lots of force is applied in one place on the helmet.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

https://metro.co.uk/2014/10/12/schumachers-head-injuries-caused-by-gopro-camera-mounted-on-ski-helmet-4902312/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:30 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
And the insurance insurance co does not ask about that kind of stuf.

What kind of stuff?

Do they ask if the vehicle has been modified?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus van drivers insurance paid out and not illegal riders insurance cause van driver was at fault.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:33 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hi, I’m @chester2400 chester240.mk@gmail.com
I’m interested in developing a cruise control.
you can back me up with a donation via paypal on https://paypal.me/[donked]"

https://github.com/chester2400

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"Hi, I’m @chester2400 chester240.mk@gmail.com
I’m interested in developing a cruise control.
you can back me up with a donation via paypal on https://paypal.me/[donked]"

https://github.com/chester2400

No one donated.
People want the free stuf and knowledge but no support in return.
But the older code and wiring diagrams along with stl files for 3d print are all there. I have not added anything new for the last two years.

Last edited by I do not care. on 22:13 - 13 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chester240 wrote:
And the insurance insurance co does not ask about that kind of stuf.

What kind of stuff?

Do they ask if the vehicle has been modified?

The only questions are . What year is the bike? What mileage? It’s Suzuki etc. And how would you like to pay?
Even when tou don’t contact them the insurance in prolonged for another year automatically. This is mandatory insurance and all bikes and cars have to have it even when you do t drive it. Exceptions are historical vehicles.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:15 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can do any modifications you want to your car or bike and there's no need to tell them about it?

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So you can do any modifications you want to your car or bike and there's no need to tell them about it?

No I do not have to say anything. The role of keeping the cars save to operate are what you call MOT. If they say the vehicle is safe no insurance company can argue.
When I go with my bike for a anualy check sometimes the don’t even go out and see the bike. They know that all bikers keep their mashines in tip top condition. Their safety relays on this. Cars on the other hand is totally different story. You can do a lot more damage with a car or a truck. Only police can sometimes send a vehicle for additional checkup if they find something like laud exhaust or worn out suspension/steering/brake/tires. There are more elaborate contraptions for people with disabilities so my little CC is small potato. No one cares. There are more important things to take care of.
This is not America that you can get sued that there was a fish in a fishmack in McDonald’s.

Last edited by I do not care. on 22:41 - 13 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
This is not America that you can get sued that there was a fish in a fishmack in McDonald’s.

It can’t be the bureaucratic nightmare known as the EU either, can it?

Either way, it won’t wash in the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chester240 wrote:

It can’t be the bureaucratic nightmare known as the EU either, can it?

Either way, it won’t wash in the UK.

It can be in UE. Poland is a member state.
Not all the dumb ideas are implemented here. Only some Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say not all dumb ideas get implemented.

Yours won't be implemented by anyone else.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5