BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY electronic cruise control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:34 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only electronic componants on my enfield are the flaher relay and the reg/rec. I also consider these to be the two least reliable parts.

The lucas throttle twist grip is equipped with a friction cruise control device as standard, a screw pushes a brass strip against the outside of the twistgrip insert, much like a drum brake. You can set the friction how you want. I removed it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A two week trip would cost around 3000 bucks including fuel, food and sleeping in a tent.

About the same as a peak season holiday in a nice place then.
This is relevant, because when people make the choice between taking a tent across Europe on a bike and chilling in a Caribbean island they tend to do the latter. These are normal people with normal jobs, e.g. nurse, local government employee, etc.

chester240 wrote:
So most people, if you count reliability in to it, can not afford do buy a bike like you said. A two week trip would cost around 3000 bucks including fuel, food and sleeping in a tent. When you have a bike that cost 3000$ you can not afford a 15-30K one. Most of the bikes are in the lower range. Only a chosen few can afford GS,KTM or Ducatti.

I doubt very much that that's true. Bikes are leisure accessories for most people. People choose to spend their money on different things based on different priorities. There is a Porsche 911 down a road where I own a property (outright). It's in a working class town, and the houses are small. The owner is a sports car enthusiast, and that's how he chooses to spend his money. He rents his home from someone. I also see things like Triumph Rocket outside such properties. Someone in the neighbourhood also goes around in a Ferrari with private numberplate. There's also someone who has a lifted sand-modified VW bug he modified himself, on a driveway, which would be more in keeping with California than the rainy UK. That guy's hobby more resembles my own.

When I choose a bike for myself, it's usually because I find there's something interesting about it which I want to experience for myself. I think you're making assumptions about people which are unfounded. Perhaps based on Youtube or your own circle of acquaintances. You are proposing bringing something to market so you have to reseach your target customer. From how you describe it, your target customer is like this:

1) Unable to afford a decent long-distance bike which is newer and has cruise control;
2) Wants to take a 2-week long trip by motorcycle;
3) Cannot bear to take such a trip without a bike with cruise control;
4) Is willing to install your device.

In your questions here, you have rebuffed point (4). Fine. But look how small your target base of customers in this instance is.

Quote:
And as to making my bike less reliable. All changes are reversible even on a road.

That has no bearing on reliability.

Quote:
No OEM part was removed or altered. Couple hexs wrenches and 2x10mm spanner is all that's needed. And since i designed the device i know perfectly well what can go wrong and implemented the necessary safety features. I'm not an Idiot as some of you might think. 30K km with no problem in all weather conditions ,but i know it will not impress anybody.

You endorse your own product. But there has been no independent testing or analysis of it. Have you researched what you will have to do to meet Euro standards, to bring it to market? What tests will you have to pay for?

One other thing:

Quote:
Since i don't install the device, I bear no responsibility for the user. And the user is perfectly aware that the CC is for offroad use only.

Well that's a non-starter. You've stated here that the device is, specifically, for road use. Then you state you will write some magic words on the packet which will make you immune from liability by saying it's not for road use. You bear no responsibility if anything goes wrong, is what you're saying. It's unethical and the law is unlikely to work in the way you expect. Which countries do you expect to sell this in?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:

Since i don't install the device, I bear no responsibility for the user. And the user is perfectly aware that the CC is for offroad use only.

Not really any use for long road trips then.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:43 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Finally a constructive response.

One you agree with, you mean Rolling Eyes

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does throttle friction device impairs natural throttle operation?
Whose to blame if in case of emergency a rider will forget to close the throttle? Man can ride a big cruiser and mostly use rear brake, and front might be just for show. I know it is a stretch.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:58 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Man can ride a big cruiser and mostly use rear brake, and front might be just for show. I know it is a stretch.

He'd be doing it wrong if that's what he's doing.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Quote:
A two week trip would cost around 3000 bucks including fuel, food and sleeping in a tent.

About the same as a peak season holiday in a nice place then.
This is relevant, because when people make the choice between taking a tent across Europe on a bike and chilling in a Caribbean island they tend to do the latter. These are normal people with normal jobs, e.g. nurse, local government employee, etc.

chester240 wrote:
So most people, if you count reliability in to it, can not afford do buy a bike like you said. A two week trip would cost around 3000 bucks including fuel, food and sleeping in a tent. When you have a bike that cost 3000$ you can not afford a 15-30K one. Most of the bikes are in the lower range. Only a chosen few can afford GS,KTM or Ducatti.

I doubt very much that that's true. Bikes are leisure accessories for most people. People choose to spend their money on different things based on different priorities. There is a Porsche 911 down a road where I own a property (outright). It's in a working class town, and the houses are small. The owner is a sports car enthusiast, and that's how he chooses to spend his money. He rents his home from someone. I also see things like Triumph Rocket outside such properties. Someone in the neighbourhood also goes around in a Ferrari with private numberplate. There's also someone who has a lifted sand-modified VW bug he modified himself, on a driveway, which would be more in keeping with California than the rainy UK. That guy's hobby more resembles my own.

When I choose a bike for myself, it's usually because I find there's something interesting about it which I want to experience for myself. I think you're making assumptions about people which are unfounded. Perhaps based on Youtube or your own circle of acquaintances. You are proposing bringing something to market so you have to reseach your target customer. From how you describe it, your target customer is like this:

1) Unable to afford a decent long-distance bike which is newer and has cruise control;
2) Wants to take a 2-week long trip by motorcycle;
3) Cannot bear to take such a trip without a bike with cruise control;
4) Is willing to install your device.

In your questions here, you have rebuffed point (4). Fine. But look how small your target base of customers in this instance is.

Quote:
And as to making my bike less reliable. All changes are reversible even on a road.

That has no bearing on reliability.

Quote:
No OEM part was removed or altered. Couple hexs wrenches and 2x10mm spanner is all that's needed. And since i designed the device i know perfectly well what can go wrong and implemented the necessary safety features. I'm not an Idiot as some of you might think. 30K km with no problem in all weather conditions ,but i know it will not impress anybody.

You endorse your own product. But there has been no independent testing or analysis of it. Have you researched what you will have to do to meet Euro standards, to bring it to market? What tests will you have to pay for?

One other thing:

Quote:

Well that's a non-starter. You've stated here that the device is, specifically, for road use. Then you state you will write some magic words on the packet which will make you immune from liability by saying it's not for road use. You bear no responsibility if anything goes wrong, is what you're saying. It's unethical and the law is unlikely to work in the way you expect. Which countries do you expect to sell this in?

I don’t endorse my product in this case. How people choose to spend their money it is up to them. But if you have the money you don’t buy a 10 year old Fazer of Cbf. Old cars that’s totally different story. When it comes to vacations you are probably right about carabians but what can one do there for 2 weeks? 3000 bucs will not caver any additional atractions. I would bored as shit there I cal look in to my phone for far les here in Europe. But we are tolling about bikers. Not ordinary people. When I asked bikers around me about a trip like this most of them ware thrilled abou that possibility. But it is not the type of bike that stoped them. Lack of time, money, to lazy or just to afraid to do it. People think one thing and do other. As I told already no certification will ever be done. The cost for one unit would have to go in thausends. It is not for everybody. Just for enthusiast who have the skill to install it themselfs. Most of people I wouldn’t trust with a nail and hammer to do the job properly.

Ofcourse Magic’ words work. Just like aftermarket exhaust for track only. Or brake pads for track or off-road use only. Or tyres track use only. All this parts can be used on the road if an owner whises to do it. And none of you can stop him. And no liability from the producer of those parts. People are responsible for their actions and not if their creations are used in a way it is in the instruction manual. And since my device does not have a brand, price nor is a part of a commercial enterprise, I’m responsible for nothing.
The code, wiring diagram and other information of an earlier version of this device is publicly available. Any one who whises can make one himself.

Last edited by I do not care. on 23:24 - 14 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was a guy on here who used to post a lot, who rode an old Fazer. He enjoyed riding all over the UK. Now he just pops his head in here to post about politics. Desperately poor, that dude. Poor guy. Computer professional headhunted by a UK company, living in a very expensive part of the country, in a big house, with a family and huge, new car. Able to work anywhere he wants in the world, because of his skills. But it's the 10 year old Fazer that makes him poor. Are you sure he could afford your device?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:34 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aftermarket off-road only exhaust isn't going to kill you by overriding your input on the throttle.

I equate your CC to what looks like a helmet but in reality has all the protective abilities of 4 pints of milk gaffa-taped to your head.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Yeah, there was a guy on here who used to post a lot, who rode an old Fazer. He enjoyed riding all over the UK. Now he just pops his head in here to post about politics. Desperately poor, that dude. Poor guy. Computer professional headhunted by a UK company, living in a very expensive part of the country, in a big house, with a family and huge, new car. Able to work anywhere he wants in the world, because of his skills. But it's the 10 year old Fazer that makes him poor. Are you sure he could afford your device?

Fazer is great bike, great engine from r1. I still regret selling
mine and buying new vstrom. I can agree that FZS can be chosen over a new bike. But not FZ1. And years ago I didn’t made my cruise control. But that does not matter. There was already aftermarket options and as you can se this guy didn’t need it. Or he never used highways. But one exception does not make a norm.

Last edited by I do not care. on 00:02 - 15 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thing for sale or is chester240 offering it as a freely available design plan?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:

Fazer is grate bike, grate engine from r1. I still regret selling
mine and buying new vstrom. I can agree that FZS can be chosen over a new bike. But not FZ1. And years ago I didn’t made my cruise control. But that does not matter. There was already aftermarket options and as you can se this guy didn’t need it. Or he never used highways. But one exception does not make a norm.

Great. Grate is what you make a fire in.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
chester240 wrote:

Fazer is grate bike, grate engine from r1. I still regret selling

Great. Grate is what you make a fire in.

Don’t get it. Some kind of stupid British saying that no one else understand?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:49 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that all you've taken from this thread?

A grate is where you put a fire or maybe a drain. Great is fantastic.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 23:50 - 14 Mar 2024; edited 1 time in total

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Is this thing for sale or is chester240 offering it as a freely available design plan?

The plans and code is free.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:51 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The plans and code is free.

I'll be impressed if anyone is foolhardy enough to even download them.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 14 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
There was already aftermarket options and as you can se this guy didn’t need it. Or he never used highways. But one exception does not make a norm.

No, what happened was, he moved out of the UK and replaced the ancient Fazer with a new bike suitable for the highways of the European country to which he moved. He bought this bike new. FZ10 I think it was.

The point I'm trying to make is, what people in your locality want is likely very different to what the wider market wants. For example, in America, if you don't ride a Harley you're a beginner and you're poor. This is mostly cultural. They do have very long straight distances they have to cover, but any larger bike would be suitable - it doesn't have to be a Harley. However, it's a weird country.

In eastern Europe, in some places there is the memory of the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, and economic and political liberalisation. Therefore, the people there prefer black cars, black Mercedes, special number plates, etc. to separate themselves from the bad old days and establish a social status. Also, until a few years ago, symbols of ostentation such as fur coats and expensive watches and designer label clothes. They can't ride old bikes, as this is like a personal failure. This attitude is completely understandable.

The UK is a very different place. From what I see, and this is not proper research, people just ride whatever they like, unless the bike is needed for a specific job. For example, track day riding, or cross-country riding, offroading, touring, etc. For sure, cruise control is useful, but mainly in the context of cross-European touring, and the people who are into this are mostly older guys of humble, working class, origin, who buy dedicated (new) bikes for the purpose. They find a way to buy them to keep up with their friends (this can be through cash or through hire purchase/monthly repayments).

I'm not trying to pour cold water on your idea and plan. Don't get me wrong - I do respect your abilities, I don't think you're an idiot, and it's wonderful you have mastered Arduino to achieve these types of goals. I'm just saying, man. People here can be as weird as Americans, too. Don't want to pay more than x for tea and coffee. Eating chip butties (gtfoh here, I'd never eat that lol). But the same type of people would be amenable to using tents, just like yourself. There is some common ground for sure. However, motorcycles are just 0.8% of motor vehicle traffic in the UK. Out of that, there is a subset who do touring. There are middle aged people who just discovered motorcycling who want to tour Europe, too. Out of that sub-subset, you're nailing down the group that's stuck with old bikes yet can't do without cruise control. I just think maybe use your skills to bring something to market separate from your passion for motorcycles.

Just as an example (this is not a joke): a fast, automatic lemon/lime juicer. I drink lime juice all the time. I have to cut it in half, then squish each half down on a juicer, every time. It takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute to get the juice out. What if there were a device that did this for me, on demand, with zero effort on my part, within 10 to 15 seconds? I'd buy that, for sure.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Is that all you've taken from this thread?

A grate is where you put a fire or maybe a drain. Great is fantastic.

I have already told you English is not my first language. So comments spelling do not bring anything in to the discussion .

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Just as an example (this is not a joke): a fast, automatic lemon/lime juicer. I drink lime juice all the time. I have to cut it in half, then squish each half down on a juicer, every time. It takes me about 30 seconds to 1 minute to get the juice out. What if there were a device that did this for me, on demand, with zero effort on my part, within 10 to 15 seconds? I'd buy that, for sure.

Can’t you just adapt a orange juicer. There are versions that do the whole work automatically.

And by the way fz10 is not a Turing bike. That is an r1 with no faring. They didn’t even changed a frame or suspension. Only a detuned engine.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:
Can’t you just adapt a orange juicer. There are versions that do the whole work automatically.

Well maybe I can't afford an orange juicer and I need you to make me a homebrew one for limes.

Quote:
And by the way fz10 is not a Turing bike. That is an r1 with no faring. They didn’t even changed a frame or suspension. Only a detuned engine.

OK

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:24 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL;DR

chester240 wrote:
It is for people want on do go far.

but
chester240 wrote:
the CC is for offroad use only.

and
chester240 wrote:
You do it at your own risk.

and
chester240 wrote:
adding devices like mine does come with additional risks.

and
chester240 wrote:
when it comes to certifying the device. I would never do it even if I had the money.

and
chester240 wrote:
Since i don't install the device, I bear no responsibility for the user.

Where do I sign?

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Well maybe I can't afford an orange juicer and I need you to make me a homebrew one for limes.

Necessity is a mother of all inventions. Though it wouldn’t be an invention strictly speaking. But always something.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

chester240 wrote:

Necessity is a mother of all inventions. Though it wouldn’t be an invention strictly speaking. But always something.

Can we cut straight to the chase?
I believe you are maladjusted to the priorities people have, and the universality of your own localised, personal experience. Riding around Europe and staying in a tent for a couple of weeks is not an aspiration most people have. I can actually afford an orange juicer. It's £28 including postage:

https://salter.com/deluxe-citrus-juicer-100-w/?srsltid=AfmBOopqUcb1TrMhW8U_QDNcx1l4eP4wUI03_f3kDPUYiwTZGxNEYEieK-o

You have a bad back which is making life uncomfortable on long rides, and you should be putting effort into getting it sorted out. There are yoga and physiotherapy exercises you can look into - consult a professional.

In the course of developing this cruise control system, you learned how to do some new things, and practised various skills, which are all fulfilling and worthwhile in their own right. Additionally, you had stasis and some kind of distraction and absorbed, meditative state which took your mind off other things. In the course of this, unfortunately, you built a castle in the sky based on erroneous assumptions of how other people live, and why they make the choices they do. People are individuals. There are no "bikers". Not in your local situation nor elsewhere. Just individuals.

What you've done is great because you've acquired some new skills. What isn't so great is that you've built a framework for how the world works around that which isn't serving you well. These people who ride for 2 weeks around Europe, what do I think of them and why aren't I following in their footsteps? Why did you never ask me that? You aren't serious about market research. It isn't the case that we think you're an idiot - rather you think we are idiots.

I am considering making my monthly investment, and a £1K addition of Uranium Energy Corporation to my ISA looks better than all of this bollocks.

I do not care.
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you are idiots. There are things you don’t need or are afraid of and apply to the whole population. But there are people who are not manipulated and enslaved by the society, and who are willing to innovate their life with their own work and skill, and not only throw money at problems. I might try to go to a doctor to fix my back problem but it is only on a motorcycle so why waste tons of money. And I like using CC in every vehicle at every available occasion to offload work and don’t imagine living with out one. And saying that you don’t need traction control or abs or any driving aids is arogant and foolish. That’s sign of being a complete moron. I like to know that if I fuck up, and I will (one does not make mistakes if one does nothing) that there is a electronic devise that will try to help me. Even the best drivers in the world would like to use those aids because it makes their work easier and more safer. One can always spend additional available attention to other things. And once again. My device was FREE to make for any one willing to do so. I don’t give a shit if you do not want it or are afraid of it, or you will not insure a bike with it or it’s dangerous. I’d rather have the CC fail on me every time over some other certified part that is in the motorcycle like tires, calipers, brake pads, chains, bearings, suspension, engine. Any one of those failures can easily kill and once it fails there are not additional safety features that will help you. You are fucked. But hey at least there is a person/company you can blame once you are dead.

And if all British people are like you the God safe the UK because the end is near. And I’m not even sory for you. Because if not for the millions of emigrants you are constantly beeching about ,your „thriving” economy would have collapsed long, long ago. British empire have ended, maybe it’s time you finish the job yourself.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxgcxtBVcB1qh01r8o1_500.gif
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5