Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Commuting on bike - sensible gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jon-W
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Commuting on bike - sensible gear Reply with quote

Evening all,

I will soon be commuting on my GSA and using it more as my primary mode of transport, not something I've done on any motorcycle, and I wanted some advice on the most suitable and comfortable gear. Ive currently got a heavy RST textile set. It's great for very cold weather but is uncomfortably bulky. I also have an RST tractek evo two piece suit.
Ideally, I'm after something light but protective and warm. I don't really want to spend 20 minutes heaving all of the gear on as I currently have to do with my textiles! Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:56 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far and on what sort of roads?

Jon-W
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using the bike on a mix of everything, however the commute is A roads 95% of the way. Some town riding too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:37 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless sub-zero I usually get by with kevlar lined jeans and pack some lightweight waterproof leggings in case the weather changes. Then I either wear a summer or winter jacket depending on the temperature out.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you wear, don't compromise on the armour.

Layer up under the outer jacket if it's cold.

If you can afford and manage to carry spare gloves and possibly a neck protector (if you use one), can help on the way home. Wet gloves and a wet thing around your neck feels like shyte.
Feeling like shyte can distract from you full attention to road/traffic conditions.
If there is some place to let your wet stuff dry out that helps too.
Or just man up and get on with it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:20 - 16 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on one of the recent Fortnine videos, he was suggesting a decent lid, boots and gloves and an airbag backpack as your minimum protective gear. Then please yourself what else you wear, dress for the weather in normal clothes like you normally would.
https://youtu.be/_CFxvat1T3o?si=4q8J9-Cd6x5re2l7

He based this on a statistical analysis of motorcycle injuries which he did in a previous video.

Alternatively, what about a "riding suit", aerostitch are the most famous but also ££££, just throw it on over your normal clothes.

For a personal recommendation, I love my altberg hogg boots which are comfy on and off the bike.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go old-school - newspaper down the trousers and carrier bags on hands... Laughing

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:09 - 19 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well, on one of the recent Fortnine videos, he was suggesting a decent lid, boots and gloves and an airbag backpack as your minimum protective gear. Then please yourself what else you wear, dress for the weather in normal clothes like you normally would.

Almost every time i've fallen off any kind of bike its the elbows, knees and thigh/hips that I injure. Hence the CE armour.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Commuting on bike - sensible gear Reply with quote

Jon-W wrote:
Evening all,

I will soon be commuting on my GSA and using it more as my primary mode of transport, not something I've done on any motorcycle, and I wanted some advice on the most suitable and comfortable gear. Ive currently got a heavy RST textile set. It's great for very cold weather but is uncomfortably bulky. I also have an RST tractek evo two piece suit.
Ideally, I'm after something light but protective and warm. I don't really want to spend 20 minutes heaving all of the gear on as I currently have to do with my textiles! Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Me when I started: ATGAT
Me now when it's cold: ATGAT
Me now when it's warm: Helmet, gloves and boots only.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:01 - 20 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Commuting on bike - sensible gear Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Me now when it's warm: Helmet, gloves and boots only.

Must be quite a sight!

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:55 - 21 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the first couple of replies, to me it depends on where and for how long.

My old commute 8 miles into stafford, gloves, boots, helmet and jacket. Was happy enough in normal jeans because the speeds aren't high and the driving standards are normally ok.

Currently riding 20 miles into Birmingham, bought taller boots, better jacket and trousers (armor and weather proofing) and would need to be very pleasant to make me want to leave the proper trousers at home. Speeds are higher for longer, there's lots more idiots and general traffic.

When I had my scooter I'd ride into stafford in mtb gloves and regular clothes other than a helmet, that wouldn't go over 50 though...

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 25 Mar 2024    Post subject: Re: Commuting on bike - sensible gear Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Must be quite a sight!

When I bend over, that's when the second exhaust is exposed Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1