Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB500F Electrical Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

I_have_a_cb500f
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:08 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: CB500F Electrical Problems Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2016 Honda CB500F. This is my first A2 bike. The bike has been fine until yesterday when I turned the ignition switch on and the dashboard started flickering. The bike worked fine so I continued home but pulled over into a car park half way just to switch it off and on again to see if that fixed it.

After switching it off, I turned the ignition switch back to on and none of the electrics worked at all. I noticed after I switched it back off the HISS light would continue flashing like normal. I switched it on and bumped it and it was fine but the dashboard continued to flicker.

If I keep revs above 4000rpm the dashboard works fine but with a check engine light. I thought since the bike had been kept in storage for nearly a year the battery would be dead. After charging it it was fine for a few starts but then it started happening again. Do I just need a new battery? My next problem is finding a new battery, all writing on this battery has completely faded but I think it's a yuasa. Any advice on what capacity I need?

Any help would be great thanks.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for providing a vid
As it continues to run but the display is erratic
I'll guess its a poor connection or ground in the wiring or possible dry PCB joint inside the clock causing the problem.
I have known ignition switches to develop bad contacts and dry joints
over time too but that usually affects main power where your problem
seem to be confined to the display.

To start with, I'd buy a can of switch cleaner from say Halfords and open all connectors related to the display and check/clean them all to see if that has any effect.
Check all the connector pins are properly located in the shells
and shiny not oxidised, bent or otherwise damaged.
Also check for continuity from all dark green ( ground) wires to the battery neg terminal and frame with a meter.

If it still continues to be erratic after the check/clean you may have to
open the clock for inspection of the PCB

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 22 Mar 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'd be tempted to throw a new battery on too. If nothing else, it's good to have a spare and get yourself an Optimate or some battery conditioner to keep things charged if it's not in use.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1