Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going from Sports to Adventure - You're experience?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Going from Sports to Adventure - You're experience? Reply with quote

Afternoon all,

I'm getting to that change my bike stage and I'm seriously considering going down the adventure'ish type route.

I've had mostly sports / tourers since I past my test some years ago and, although I've had some proper good fun, I've always missed that feeling I got on my 125 when I could just bugger off into the hill and get lost down those tiny country roads. Not something you'd want to do on a sports bike.

My only concern is, Like most of us, I'm not loaded. I'll be looking to spend around 4k on my next bike and I don't want to buy something to find six months down the line not liking it.

Most adventure bikes appear to be twins. I'm OK with that. I love the torque and the engine braking you get on a twin. Did my test on a 650 twin. I'd be looking at bigest cc I can get.

I think my biggest fear would be hitting the rev limiter all the time. Is that a thing with big twins? I had a 955i Tripple for a couple of years and kept hitting the rev limiter in second on that which is one of the reasons I got rid.

Currently riding a ZX9R but looking at Vstrom/Tiger that sort of thing. Some of the BMW offerings are looking good as well.

If I stay with sports my next bike will either be a blackbird or, if I can find one in my budget, a ZZR14 but I think I really need to do the adventure thing and get back in those hills.

Has anyone else gone through "The Change?"
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped between big tourers (Goldwings and the like) and large cc adventure bikes since having big sports tourers (never out and out sports bikes). I don't do off road so it's purely what suited me on the tarmac.

Adventure bikes are very sit up and beg riding position but have a good screen and that is no problem. I must say I prefer tourers for the weather protection but that's due to hating to spend half a day forcing my fat arse into leathers or 3 pairs of textiles and jeans. Rolling Eyes (I can ride my Trophy in shite conditions in jacket and jeans and hardly get wet.)

I have never hit the limiter as far as I can remember on any of my adventure bikes but I don't find them encouraging me to hoodlum riding. Laughing

Oh, and my 3 adventure bikes have all been Triumph triples. ! x 955i Tiger and 2 x 1200 Explorers so I can't say what a twin would be like and I'm not a great win fan anyway.

I must admit one of my prerequisits now for a large tourer/adventure is shaft drive hence my love for Goldies and Triumph 1200's. You get nasty looks from concierge's when you walk into hotels with panniers that have chain spray oil on the bottom.

The other thing is with my last sportish bike, a Hayabusa gen1 I used to get knee and back issues. I don't anymore with any of the above bikes.

Maybe something like a Tiger sport would suit you but I have no idea if those would be in budget for you.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:10 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Polarbear,

My Back and wrists are not hurting yet but it won't too long I don't think. Before my ZX9 I had GSXR1000 K3. Not very comfortable but I suppose that's not what it's built for. It didn't inspire confidence with me though and I had a few near incidents on it. Maybe it was set up wrong for my 17 stones or maybe it was just too much bike for me.

The ZX9 has been a treasure to ride. Loads of everything apart from gadgets if you consider a fuel light on a bike a gadget.

I do commute on the bike as well in the dryer months. Lovely 20 minute ride through the country.

With the 125 I remember going down some really small roads that turn into dirt tracks. I really enjoyed those rides so I want to get some of that back.

Just been looking at a 1050 Tiger on FB market. 2009 with 28k. £3,700. Fully stocked out with lugage. Nice looking bike.

The Busa is a big bike in all manor of respects. I've sat on one in the show room but that's my only experience with them. One of the last big comfy muscle machines I think.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an obvious point to add to your looking at fully luggaged Tiger, whatever you get make sure it comes with full luggage. To buy seperatley whatever bike is absolutely stupid money whereas it doesn't seem to make much difference when buying the bike with or without luggage. You can always remove it when you don't need it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered getting a road bike? Since you're going to be riding it on the road. I never really saw the appeal of big adventure bikes. They are big, unreasonably so in my book. If you want to get out on back roads, why not get something that's designed for them?

Hell, i had a go on a 900 street twin last summer and it was a hoot. Same vibe as riding a 125 but an order of magnitude more power. Compact, responsive, comfortable and with an engine that actively encouraged ripping it out of corners.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:18 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Have you considered getting a road bike? Since you're going to be riding it on the road. I never really saw the appeal of big adventure bikes. They are big, unreasonably so in my book. If you want to get out on back roads, why not get something that's designed for them?

Hell, i had a go on a 900 street twin last summer and it was a hoot. Same vibe as riding a 125 but an order of magnitude more power. Compact, responsive, comfortable and with an engine that actively encouraged ripping it out of corners.

This. Street Triple R, Z900RS, Speed Twin, GSX800, Katana, MT10, XSR900... so many great sport adjacent street bikes that don't weigh 260kg and don't make you look like a Ewan wannabe.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:26 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the replies thanks all. Really do appreciate your input.

I'd love an MT10 but they're way out of my budget for the moment. As would be The Street Triple unless I went for the 675.

One of things I don't want to miss is the overtaking power I currently have. I spend quite a bit of riding time on single carriageways and getting stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60 makes me want to cry.

Street Twin, a bit too naked for my liking. Also I'd feel like I'd be buying a vintage looking bike for not so vintage cash. I'd love to have a go one but I'll leave that to the enthusiasts. I've just looked a ZRX12000. I've always liked those but, fek me, they've shot up in price over the years.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:16 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on sports bikes and moved on to offroading/dual sports due to preferring to do off-road traveling but always missed the silly amounts of power.

Though l currently have a 2016 KTM 1190 which is an absolute blast. Sports bike power at 150-160 bhp (LC8 V-twin) but capable of light offroading and is a comfortable upright riding position. The later 1290s have even more power.

The 1190s have been out since 2013 prices of the older ones should be within your budget.

https://i.ibb.co/KqsKdkH/355136156-10168031794170224-4878711592242041930-n-10168031787015224.jpg
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:26 - 12 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

Street Twin, a bit too naked for my liking. Also I'd feel like I'd be buying a vintage looking bike for not so vintage cash. I'd love to have a go one but I'll leave that to the enthusiasts.

You should have a test ride on one. Seriously took me by surprise. They are tiny for a 900cc bike, the 350 enfield I was riding felt bigger. Until you start trying to push it about anyway, then you realise it's got a big lump of engine in there. Thoroughly modern bike and made power most entertainingly. I bet the 1200 is a total hoot.

How about a GSX1300? Dare you to hit the rev limiter on that.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsbikes are built for track use. Nice surfaces, predictable corners. Easy to get them around the course.

Sportsbikes are shite on most B roads when compared to a good adventure bike.

I'd put good money on a R1200GS against a GXR or Ninja on twisties.

I've had both for years.
(My last GS was sold a few years back.)

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:19 - 15 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking at the R1200's.. Nice bike and surprisingly not that expensive.

I know what you mean about a good rider on an adventure bike would take a lot of sports bikes in the twisties. When I had my GSX1000 I had riders over take me on outside bends and all sorts. That bike just wasn't for me. I consider myself an OK rider but that bike was so sensitive to input and road conditions.

Rev limiter on a GSXR1300 - lol. I bet I could do it. The bike wouldn't be in gear though Smile

I've kinda decided I'm going for an adventure bike. Not pinned it down to which one yet but I've ruled out another sports/tourer.

How would a R1200GS perform on motorway? The comfort and screen are an obvoius plus but what about that pulling power when you need it. On the ZX9R I could be doing 90 in 6th and still have lots of pull. Do you still get that with a big twin? Not that I do those speeds often but now and gain it's nice to have the option.

Cheers ahain all. Really do appreciate the input.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:09 - 16 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a load of bikes and got an R1200RT last year. Mainly for if/when I decide to pop over to Europe for a trip, but also to pillion easier, the KTM didnt do that, the CBF600 doesn't do it well, this is a sofa on wheels.

I didn't want a GS because I am not riding to cafes and washing it at petrol stations when some dirt dares look at the wheels, they serve no purpose in the UK personally.. so I got the more road based one.

Love it, won't be ditching it any time soon, but as I don't need to pillion on the CBF, that is going in favour of a fun bike, probably a Street Triple.
They are heavy, but not overly so when moving, can be had quite cheap too. Later ones are more ££ but you do get some bells and whistles.

Weirdest thing is being able to brake and not have the front dive down, the electric screen, heated grips and seats... I want to give it a longer run, then service and take 2 weeks off and head to Europe, but thats probably next year Laughing

Motorways though, I haven't been on one but I have done the 60/70 NSLs here. You won't be without power in top gear, they are grunty.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:41 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

One of things I don't want to miss is the overtaking power I currently have. I spend quite a bit of riding time on single carriageways and getting stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60 makes me want to cry.

I'd love an MT10 but they're way out of my budget for the moment.

Try MT09. You can find one under 10 000 miles for about 4.5k

Its better then MT10 IMO. Less power, but plenty for the road and much lighter and sharper.

The only adventure bike I would go for is BMW S1000XR Laughing

It will cost you 6k though

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:56 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:

Love it, won't be ditching it any time soon, but as I don't need to pillion on the CBF, that is going in favour of a fun bike, probably a Street Triple.
They are heavy, but not overly so when moving, can be had quite cheap too. Later ones are more ££ but you do get some bells and whistles.

Have you checked the weight on a street triple? Think you'll be surprised. Last I checked the 765 was around 170Kg and with 100+ BHP - must frickin' fly off the line. Although triples do make their max torque higher up than my perky little Tracer 700.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:48 - 17 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant my RT, not triples.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:52 - 22 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mainly had sportstourers for years now as the lack of appeal made them relatively cheap. I just came back from 1100 miles in Europe on my VFR1200F and decided it needs to go as it's giving me bad back pain even at 33. I also broke my hand years ago so holding the throttle open on motorways is a pain.

I budgeted around 8k absolute max and wanted cruise and cornering ABS as minimum. I was originally looking at KTM 1190/1290S/1290GT and a V Strom 1050XT. All similar specs re rider aids albeit different otherwise (power!).

I test rode a 2021 V Strom 1050XT a few weeks back and was quite frankly blown away. It felt bland and slow to begin with until I realised I was riding it MUCH faster and with FAR less effort than my 64hp more powerful VFR.

I then rode 90 miles the other direction to look at a 2015 1290 S. The dealer wouldn't let me test ride it two hours prior to closing "incase it breaks down"..

I spent the previous 3 months trying to find a serious mechanical fault on the strom and couldn't find any reports. The amount on KTM horrified me......

Put down a deposit on the strom a few days after.

Re power. There was a review in bike mag where the top gear roll on from 40 to 80 for the strom was just 0.1 sec slower than a 1290R.....

I'd say even a badly ridden adv bike will annihilate a well ridden sportstourer on back roads.

You can get the previous model strom (2017 onwards had cornering ABS if it matters to you) for around the 4ish mark. There is a YouTube channel called "Lav and Ollie", round the world two up on a 2020 1050XT strom. 70k kilometres and only a real shock seal and a few wheel bearings failed. They put that bike through a LOT of abuse.

Stay WELL away from BMW at that price.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 29 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines not an adventure but I went from sports bikes such as R1's and GSXR 1000s and then went to a Honda Grom now on a CB300R and I wont be going back to sports bikes....just too uncomfortable vs sit up bikes, plus im older now so I prefer comfort lol

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 29 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Going from Sports to Adventure - You're experience? Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
Has anyone else gone through "The Change?"

I went from an ER-6F to a S1000XR and the biggest thing that upsets me is that I can't flat foot the S1000XR which doesn't really bother me too bad. It would be nice if I could but I ain't buying those tip-toe shoe attachments Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1