Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR 600f Fuelling issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: CBR 600f Fuelling issue Reply with quote

Hi all! A friend picked up a CBR600F (think it's an FY) 2000 reg. It's got low miles on it and in good condition. Started great yesterday, on the button every time. Brought it approx 60 miles home, today no start!

I've been round and checked it over. I can get it to start briefly and it dies. This is where it gets weird. On turning the key the fuel pump tries to prime but just makes a bumpy rattle. When I disconnect the pump the bike starts with some throttle twists but then slowly dies with the pump reconnected.

As an extra, the choke will make the bike die also.

I've checked all I can for now, the pump is getting 12v when the bike runs but not at first turn on, it feels rough.

I'm at a loss for now so I'm hoping for some ideas, I'm wondering how thenoump could cause the issue. Or could the choke be connected somehow, as in the bike is running super rich and the pump is flooding the engine.

Any ideas please?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the pump is probably knackered. It's kind of out in the weather and they don't last forever. Most of the fuel in the tank is above the carbs so the pump doesn't have to do a lot of lifting. In a pinch, they run ok if you bypass the pump altogether as long as you don't run the tank too low, many have been ridden home with the outside of an old biro pen in place of the fuel pump

You can get new points for the pumps if you fancy giving that a try. Have a look under the plastic top cover and you can see what they are like, if water has got in, it could just be a mass of rust. You can also get aftermarket replacements pretty cheaply. Or you could go the whole hog and fit a low pressure facet solid state pump. Pump is quite easy to get at.

Also check the state of the fuel lines. The ones on Mrs stinkwheels FY were in a sorry state. They are also pre-bent and of varying diameters which made replacing them a bit of a task with much ado with angled spigot fittings.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Stinkers, I had you in mind when I wrote that! Was in a bit of a panic as I had ok'd the bike for him and then felt awful when it refused to start the next day!!

That clears up the running with no fuel pump plugged in conundrum. I did a chunk of reading last night and looked at some fuel system drawings. Pretty interesting setup.

Thanks again Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 24 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted, pump replaced and now starting on the button with ease and idling nicely!!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:03 - 26 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you went OEM as the cheapo China pumps don't last long.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1