Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Very very odd bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Very very odd bike. Reply with quote

Here is a picture I took of an extremely odd bike which is at the Donington racing museum. I think it's a prototype bike, possible with dual wheel steering. Confused Does anyone even know what it is? It's just a bit funky, and I can't remember for the life of me other than the fact it's from Aus.. Very Happy
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/funky_bike.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it is it has hub center steering
Some serious technology in the bike.

some serious comedy in its looks! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 08:33 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that the 2 wheel drive bike? Hydraulic drive to the front wheel?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 11:40 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see how you'd steer the rear, it's a swingarm. it does have hub-centre steering though, which is cool Very Happy

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:

Definately looks like the front wheel hub has enough plumbing for hydraulic drive Thumbs Up

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:29 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me laugh. theres even a grab rail for a pillian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:

Ah, that sounds more like it. I couldn't remember why it was such an odd bike, but the fact that it looks like it's made from Lego and the double drive make more sense than dual wheel steering.

I had been wondering about how to make a bike have both wheels powered for a while, and amazingly enough, I had completely neglected to think about hydraulic drive. Seeing as I'm designing the drive, tracks and suspension for a crawler carrier vehicle, I really should have done.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

Two wheeled drive bikes have been around for quite a while - take a nose at ROKON. Hydraulic drive is too inefficient - or at least it used to be, I don't what advances have been made during the last ten years or so.
Must admit - I'd quite like a Rokon to play with Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 24 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had a big thing in MCN about it. The engine as well as powering the rear wheel also powers a hydralic system which drives the front. you lose power as a result, but gain traction and cornering ability. The only reason current dirtbikes/supermoto's are quicker than 2 wheel drive ones is because people are used to riding them. Once the price of 2 wheel drive has come down, and it is made that bit more efficient everyone will get used to it and it will wipe the floor with all current offroad bikes! Very Happy

I'm supprised the military hasnt started using them, a 2 wheel drive dirtbike could go anyway offroad a hell of alot quicker than any car!

askew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a crazy crazy bike! The tyres and wheels make it it look as if it was made out of Lego - sweet Smile .

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 25 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaFrostyOne wrote:
They had a big thing in MCN about it. The engine as well as powering the rear wheel also powers a hydralic system which drives the front. you lose power as a result, but gain traction and cornering ability.

Wotcha.

Many years ago I happened to stop at a grass track meeting. There was a sidecar outfit there that was winning every race. The reason ? It was front wheel drive. They just ran into every bend at full speed, and the front wheel 'pulled' the outfit round with minimal wheelspin. It reached the stage where they were no longer allowed to compete at meetings due to the 'unfair advantage' they had over conventional outfits. Talk about moving the goal posts Mad

Of course, I had to have a closer look Smile
The guys that built it were using a Kwak 900 engine ( at the time the z900 was the sports bike of the day ) linked up to hub steered front wheel drive. They called it the SWORD, which apparently stood for Stoneman Wheeler Original Racing Device - Stoneman and Wheeler being the builders of said beastie.
I often wonder what became of that machine.

Quote:

I'm supprised the military hasnt started using them, a 2 wheel drive dirtbike could go anyway offroad a hell of alot quicker than any car!

Google for " ab23 desert ranger " - and don't tell Osama Mr. Green

adza
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:16 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

now thts one strange bike! Mr. Green Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1