Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Some help on yet more Karma issues.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Topic moved: from to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (19 Jan 2005 - 16:17)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:16 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Some help on yet more Karma issues..... Reply with quote

Guys, I really do think that perhaps it is time to get rid of Karma and just have a really cool forum....

Nobody, but nobody has stinking Karma on their forums except bike chat, it is just a stress that is not necessary.

I have been on here for quite a long time now and really enjoy it, but this karma system winds me up.

Can anyone tell me why, when I was replying to a post, with a karma that is all in the green, to a post that was not rude, out of order, no negative posts, no friends made when I should not have made friends because I did not have my contact details entered, no rules broken, no animated avatars, no images posted in the wrong areas, etc etc....

Why, did I get this pop up message?

Karma Warning
If you submit this post without fixing the problems detailed
below the main text input box your karma rating may suffer

Have you read the karma guide?

There were no problems detailed below, so how the hell can I fix the problem when I can not see what the problem is?

I tell you, as much as I love this forum and enjoy it very very much, the rules are just stifling and I feel tempted to just call it a day and move on to other forums where I do not feel like I am being ruled by a load of hitlers?

Come on guys, I know I am not a really long term forum member, but I do feel that I contribute a lot to making this forum work, do you really want to p1ss off all your members into leaving over time.

It seems no matter how hard you try to not break the massive list of rules on this forum, you will always end up getting bollocked for something.

Come on, lighten up a little, stop being power crazed and let people really enjoy what forum chat is all about!

This place could be huge, massive, the best on the net, if only the rules were calmed down a little...... Smile

Nuf, said, ooops spelling, that will damage my karma.

I am off my soap box, lets get it over with, flame me..... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pants, I completely agree with you, but you won't get anywhere complaining about it, trust me I've learnt that one..

It's a case of like it, lump it or leave I'm afraid....

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 23:24 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you man, some people on here like to have the karma thuo, so they can show it off, i must admit when i first jonied here i did want the gold karma, but now its lossing its apeal. so i gave up, plus my spelling was to bad. but if its gona i doubt many people would notice. Thumbs Up

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:31 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
Mr Pants, I completely agree with you, but you won't get anywhere complaining about it, trust me I've learnt that one..

It's a case of like it, lump it or leave I'm afraid....

But thats sad, it is member, (excuse me for being big headed here...), like myself who make forums work well, they show interest, add topics and do their best to fit in and make new friends. On here, you dare to make a friend, you get flamed because you have not done something before you make them a friend.

I had loads of people I liked on here who I thought, yeah, they are a nice chap or chapess, I will add them to my buddy list, but no, that breaks the rules! So now, all the mates I added, have been deleted!

This forum seems to be full of dedicated members who are all very keen to make it work, if all your members p1ss off because they have had enough of the rules and regs, then what the hell is the point of the forum.

I really think that you Admins, hopefully being good business people, should listen to your serious members like me and take note, this karma and very strict regulations is the one thing that really puts me off this forum.

I do nothing to offend or disrupt this forum, I only add, yet I seem to be breach of the rules so regular which makes me believe that the rules are over the top!

Unfortunately I am in the minority, so my voice will not be heard, so like Yams says, it is a case of like it or lump it!

Sad and dare I say it, very childish.

We are adults, lets not rule it with an iron fist and relax a little, make it work even better...

Last edited by Mr Pants! on 23:35 - 26 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:33 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Karma, jump on your bike and ride it...Oh wait more rules and regs to follow then! Razz

See what I am getting at? There has to be some way of controlling (to a certain extent) what goes on. From how I interpret the Karma system, it is a way of ensuring you don't need a moderator around 24/7 to keep an eye on everything. OK, so maybe the Karma system can be a bit OTT but still, when need be it bans members without Korn and Co having to log on and ban them manually.

Yes, the Karma system can be a tad anal....Yes, it is different to a lot of different forums. *If* you really don't care about your Karma just post away. I for one rarely ever use the "Disagree" rating, just because it's a bit unfair for somebodies Karma to suffer, just because you don't agree with them. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Last edited by JonB on 23:36 - 26 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total

18aprilia
I don't get it?

PostPosted: 23:34 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

who are the admins, and when was the karma introduced???? did yall vote for it? or what???

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't this been done to death by now? It's here, just learn to live with it Thumbs Up

I don't come round to your house and tell you where I think your TV should be Laughing

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:42 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Hasn't this been done to death by now? It's here, just learn to live with it Thumbs Up

I need say no more...... Shocked

About time the people who run this site listen.

Korn?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:43 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: Some help on yet more Karma issues..... Reply with quote

Mr Pants! wrote:
This place could be huge, massive

Hmmm, the size of BCF is one of the things I like about this place over somewhere the size of say Visor Down.

What was the post where it popped that warning up; was it in fights and flame wars or with nested quotes in it?

With regards to the friends system it had to be changed as people were using it in point scoring competition and not what it was made for; sharing your contact details with people you're happy to have them. There were people going round setting everyone as a friend in the hope that they'd be set as a friend back. But that then raises the question "Well if they're childish enough that it makes them happy then why does it matter?" as the system was still being used in a more sensible way so if people want to play silly buggers then let them.

The one thing which is good about the karma system is there are plently of people who make it their sole objective on here to make their karma go up, which makes the forum good (in general terms) for all the other members.

18aprilia, it was introduced what must be about a year and a half ago, there is one admin; Korn. Did people vote for it? I believe Korn made it after getting fed up by all the problems that it controls without the need for human intervention.

I think that it solves more problems than it creates. Penny Coin Penny Coin

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:44 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

18aprilia wrote:
who are the admins, and when was the karma introduced???? did yall vote for it? or what???

There is only one "admin", and that's Korn.

As for the negative karma against the karma system - would you rather have over-protective moderators who may feel inclined to delete posts because it's not P.C? Or more likely, would you rather rely on the admin and mods to take care of potential trouble-makers, leaving everyone else to suffer in the meantime?

I'm definately not saying that the system is perfect - having said that, I don't care much for it, although I may have taken a few things for granted, so don't actually know the perks of it. Rolling Eyes

Just try to chill, be merry, and it'll all work out. Wink

TiN
dotgems.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:48 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one admin (afaik) and that is Korn.

The Karma system (again afaik) has been here since the beginning after the migration from NSR125.com. Originally the karma system allowed members to give and receive karma, but I'm guessing that this was easily abused.

Next came the pure spelling and grammar Karma, but again this was seen as dictatorial and limiting by a very small minority.

Now The Karma system is based loosely upon ratings and on some small level on spelling and grammar.

Now, this bit is important IMO:
The friends system was instigated after the accident back in april, in order to provide contact details for members if the unthinkable should happen and a member should be involved in an accident. It is not intended to be an MSN buddy type system, it is intended purely to provide personal details to those members whom we might meet in the real world. This is for 'meeting up' and emergency contact purposes.

Again, the ratings, spelling and grammar has a very little effect on one's karma unless a number of members rate a post as abusive or spam. Ratings have now been modified so that any one member has a limit on the number of ratings they may give in a period of time. This is to prevent members from giving ratings in order to boost their own karma.

IMO Karma is just a device to make the forum stand out from others and prevent open abuse and spam. It isn't anything to get worked up about. As long as you aren't threatening people, or calling people names, or spamming the forum, what is there to worry about?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: Some help on yet more Karma issues..... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Agreed. I don't miss the fact that people make an effort to spell correctly (in the main) as I despise short-hand "text talk".

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 23:54 - 26 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: Some help on yet more Karma issues..... Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Mr Pants! wrote:
This place could be huge, massive

Hmmm, the size of BCF is one of the things I like about this place over somewhere the size of say Visor Down.

What was the post where it popped that warning up; was it in fights and flame wars or with nested quotes in it?

With regards to the friends system it had to be changed as people were using it in point scoring competition and not what it was made for; sharing your contact details with people you're happy to have them. There were people going round setting everyone as a friend in the hope that they'd be set as a friend back. But that then raises the question "Well if they're childish enough that it makes them happy then why does it matter?" as the system was still being used in a more sensible way so if people want to play silly buggers then let them.

The one thing which is good about the karma system is there are plenty of people who make it their sole objective on here to make their karma go up, which makes the forum good (in general terms) for all the other members.

18aprilia, it was introduced what must be about a year and a half ago, there is one admin; Korn. Did people vote for it? I believe Korn made it after getting fed up by all the problems that it controls without the need for human intervention.

I was replying to a post I started called, "what did you get for Xmas" with some 45 replies on so far, no negatives I am all in the greens so why do I have to be warned.

In terms of scoring, how sad, so we are running on the rules, the minority ruin it for the majority. I purely used it for people I PM'd and seemed to have a relationship more than just post replies, but they have all been taken off me because of stinking karma.

Talking from a massive amount of forum experience, I do not feel the karma adds or solves more problems than it creates. I know the hard core members on here are going to bleat on about how good it is, but its not, I am telling you.

You get your handful of "in the gang" forum members who like it and the rest of us can get to f**k!

I am an easy going person who loves to make new mates on the web, but this is not the way guys, honest.

I tell you what, scrap karma for 3 months and see how it effects the forum, for better or worse....

Or put it out to the vote, I dunno.....

Perhaps keep karma but lighten up the rules...

It is easy to criticise, but when you get on the negative side of karma for no real reason, its is very annoying!

Here goes another spell check on the spell check system that does not work all that well.... Confused

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that people are too scared to post what they really think, too scared of losing karma for doing this that and the other, which I don't like... I also hate the way that people with gold karma seem to think they are so much better than other members, I've noticed it a lot, I used to have 3 gold karma (even after it was modded) but I was fucked off with peoples attitutes to karma, so I posted in F&FW until I got it down to green blobs (I was sooo going to post in there till I got banned Laughing wondered if the karma system would ban me?? I might try that actually next time I'm really bored Laughing)

But when it comes down to it, I really couldn't give a shit, karma or no karma I just post to suit the forum, if this forum means I have to spell properly, then no problems about that... I don't post half as much as I used to any more, but meh, that's not all about the karma anyway.

It's got good points, it's got bad points... either way most aren't that bothered by it...

I won't lose any sleep over it staying, or over it going.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nested quotes!

And a grammar/spelling mistake!

Mr Pants! wrote:
its is very annoying!

It's straight to Hell for you! Laughing

Just chill. You have enough Karma that it shouldn't adversely affect your usage of this forum so why worry?

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 00:06 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Nested quotes!

And a grammar/spelling mistake!

Mr Pants! wrote:
its is very annoying!

It's straight to Hell for you! Laughing

Just chill. You have enough Karma that it shouldn't adversely affect your usage of this forum so why worry?

You are missing the point buddy.

This is not just about me getting a warning, nor my karma levels, to be quite honest, whilst in the beginning it did matter to me what my karma level was, I really could not give a stuff now.

So if my karma drops, what happens, I get p1ssed of and leave. say another good member like myself does the same and another and another......

Yes, you will have all your long term, serious serious members on here, but you will never really take off with loads of new people, new faces, even more so, new conversation..... Why? because they have a few months or more of being bollocked and flamed and leave for a more easy going forum!

I know you get your tossers on here and it feels good to flame them into the red so their posts collapse, but that is the only time in my view that karma works. Other than that it just p1ssed off the majority.

I agree, again with Yams. There have been so many posts I wanted to put up, but thought, perhaps not incase I get my karma fcuked. They could have been interesting posts that would add, perhaps not, we will never know because of karma.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:09 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Pants! wrote:

I agree, again with Yams. There have been so many posts I wanted to put up, but thought, perhaps not incase I get my karma fcuked. They could have been interesting posts that would add, perhaps not, we will never know because of karma.

Oh I completely agree there! I find this especially a problem in cultural thread where a certain members view could be deemed "racist" and so has to put on a massive flameproof jacket and curb around his/her true opinion. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, but I think there would be more crap on here without. I mean, how long do spammers last for example?

Anyway, I doubt it's going to change.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:14 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some respects people getting really worried about is the karma system going to like what they post is a good thing. Basically, if your post is good then the karma will reflect it and if it's a shit post it'll reflect it and some people (as 18aprilia has shown) want their karma to go up. So them wanting it to go up (and hopefully doing something to make it go up) improves the content of the forum.

It doesn't ban you Yams, it leaves BCF open to you and all you can do is send Korn PM's. So perhaps get the karma system to ban you and then if you're still bored PM Korn lots asking him to unban you. Razz

Mr. Pants, with regards to the friends system as Mark has put it was changed as it is for giving details to people you're meeting so that if necessary people have each others contact details. Quite sensible really as it means if you go out on a rideout with people from here and someone has a crash and ends up in hospital everyone knows who to contact.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:15 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never decided against posting anything because of possible bad karma.

Its up to you. If you want to get hung up on karma, and wether a post will kill yours, then you have missed the point IMO.

The only people who ought to worry about karma is spammers and trolls. Karma

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I know what you mean, but I think there would be more crap on here without. I mean, how long do spammers last for example?

Anyway, I doubt it's going to change.

It won't change no, but at least it's a interesting conversation where someone (mr pants) has the courage to say what he really thinks about the karma system.

That's what it's all about, loads of people hate the karma system but are too scared to say it. Or pretend they like it/find good things about it in fear of being rated "disagree" and get their precious karma degraded Mr. Green

I am on quite a few other forums , none of them use karma and all work perfectly, you get your spammers yes but that's why you have moderators!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
That's what it's all about, loads of people hate the karma system but are too scared to say it. Or pretend they like it/find good things about it in fear of being rated "disagree" and get their precious karma degraded Mr. Green

Quite the opposite - I'm more likely to get "disagree" bad karma stating that I don't mind the karma system!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:24 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the agree rating much use as if you never disagree with something then it is kinda pointless.

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 00:24 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I've never decided against posting anything because of possible bad karma.

Its up to you. If you want to get hung up on karma, and wether a post will kill yours, then you have missed the point IMO.

The only people who ought to worry about karma is spammers and trolls. Karma

Whilst I could not quote, or be arsed to search, I am sure there have been several potential good members this forum has lost because they come back to login to this forum and see they are in the red or have lost all the karma they have built up through some stupid post they may have put up.

In all the forums I am a member of I post what I like when I like and have no problem, perhaps the odd post I put up disapears off the bottom of the page as no one is interested. But I really do have to think carefully before posting here, I feel concerned about this post and am amazed my posts are not already collapsing!

Perhaps, if the admins are or admin are truly interested in their forum expanding even more in the future should put it to the vote or perhaps a suggestions column? But a suggestions column that listens.

All I am saying is, I see lots of posts complaining about karma and the usual names piping up saying it is good. Perhaps it is time Korn really looked at the system and thought about what effect it is having on this forum.

I want to see lots of "hi, I am new here" and "newbie" posts, then see those people stay and not get flamed out of the door becuase they dare to use abbreviations.....

Get rid of this karma system, spammers can be removed by admin in a flash. Make us a load of moderators, I would be up for that! I am sure there are lots of serious members who could be your moderators and could eliminate spammers.

Drop Karma!!! Cool

Last edited by Mr Pants! on 00:30 - 27 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total

rizo-sri200
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:29 - 27 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
AGREED Thumbs Up

Dance! Clapping
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3