Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Some help on yet more Karma issues.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Topic moved: from to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (19 Jan 2005 - 16:17)
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 03:17 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since everyone else is sticking their oar in.

A bad thing to me is that a lot fo new people come on the forum only to have their posts negativley rated for spelling and TXT SPK, which they will be used to using on other areas of the interweb. When they see this they just think, "Bunch of pedantic tossers" and leave never to return. Which is a shame.

I don't know how best to deal with this, getting their first post rated by six or eight people as 'boring' 'redundant' and 'confusing' can't help matters, this anniahlates their karma instantly and they land up having to type huge long posts before they are allowed to submit them. Perhaps a modification of the system which prevents multiple ratings for everything except maybe 'spam' and 'abusive' for the first while, allowing people to in essence 'moderate' their posting style by means of constructive replies (or lack of replies) to their messages.

Where it is useful is, for example, in the workshop section. This is the internet after all and you don't know who is at the other end of the keyboard. Supposing you asked a question about for example, how to fix your brakes. The person replying could be a 10 year old who is pissing about or equally someone who knows what they are doing. Chances are that if someone has a high karma rating (eg kickstart) then they have posted a lot of things that others have found useful in a coherant and consistantly sensible manner. You know whose advice to take.

synaptyx
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:15 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Why should Korn not be allowed to ignore PM's which could just have easily been posted on the forum and answered on the forum? Topic which have been covered in the feedback forum I would say it is fair enough not to answer.
I didn't say he wasn't allowed to ignore PM's I just feel it's only polite to answer them. The topic I mentioned was brought up later in a post by TheShaggyDA I believe, but was never answered to my knowledge - I stand to be corrected on that one. The banned user is Neoluke (remember him? Rolling Eyes), why banned members obviously malicious karma ratings are not removed is kind of strange to me.
Quote:
I believe the idea of the karma system is that it is an automated babysitter as why do something yourself if you're able to write a script to do it automatically?
Obviously a script lacks the intelligence and insight of a human being, need I say more?
Quote:
Korn isn't just walking away when it is this big, he deals with the very important duty of changing custom titles as needed and was quick off the mark with Mr Pant's one. Razz
Yeah, vital duty and all that.
Quote:
I have a good suggestion as the karma system is a babysitter all the time. So I suggest that Korn turns the karma system off and lets me run the forum in place of the automated system. Anyone still supporting the karma system being turned off? Razz Razz
To be perfectly honest Ste through no fault of your own, you have the most time on your hands and you're around here the most. You'd probably make a halfway decent Admin. Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Chances are that if someone has a high karma rating (eg kickstart) then they have posted a lot of things that others have found useful in a coherant and consistantly sensible manner. You know whose advice to take.

That was one of the key points when the original system was introduced... we're dealing with people's safety/lives with some of the advice given, so you need to know who to trust. Thumbs Up

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 11:32 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get-fucking-rid of it Wink.

James
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3