Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Your views on the karma system?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Topic moved: from to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (19 Jan 2005 - 16:17)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you keep the karma system?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 61 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 88

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:39 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Your views on the karma system? Reply with quote

Well after this thread and all the other similar ones, what do you think of the karma system and if you had the final say in it would it stay or not?

I reckon it should stay for reasons given in the above thread.

Oh yeah just before anyone gets ideas, this poll is not to decide if it stays or not it is just out of interest.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:48 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind it. But thats probably because ive got pretty good Karma...
I think its a matter of the people with shit karma who hate it...

I say it stays as its pretty damn Cool...

"Be good or ill karma kill you Twisted Evil "

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:07 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

saxmonster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:10 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sucks.......sorry Rolling Eyes

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 03:20 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

seconded, the only people that like the karma system are those with loads of karma!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 03:22 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodsi, You could atleast agree to my post! Mr. Green

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 03:49 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO NEVER...NEVER

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:11 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
seconded, the only people that like the karma system are those with loads of karma!

Maybe they don't have trouble abiding by the rules!

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:37 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an unusual feature that sets this site apart from others.

Gives me no hassle, and I always say what I think.

Thumbs Up for karma from me!

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got loads of karma and I like the system. Question

synaptyx
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:14 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a fence sitter, but I suppose in the end I'd prefer if a human being looked after things a bit more closely. Yeah, even you Ste. Razz

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:23 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really care either way.

It's useful for getting rid of spammers with no admin/mod intervention.

It's boring that people get so obsessed with their ratings.

I like seeing a green post and making a point of reading it.

I like seeing a red post and making a point of reading it to see why it was so bad.

It's sad if people won't post something cos they're worried about the karma implications.

It's sad that people don't use it correctly sometimes, nuking someone into the floor for having a different opinion to themselves.

It's cool that it tries to stop people talking in TXT, cos someone could have a very interesting point but if it's written badly I won't bother trying to decipher it.

In summary... I don't really care either way.

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 11:40 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first there was no karma system, the forum worked, people got banned when abusive (although i managed to escape it Wink), then there was the simple karma system that relied on people giving out karma to people which worked save for the fact a few people were bouncing the stuff back and forth, then the new karma system came in and well, it got a bit crap.

I know people refrain from posting stuff because of a stupid system that is meaningless (I bet lot's of funny stuff is missed off because people are afraid to lose imaginary colour blobs from an internet site Razz. I was going to write this i txt talk wivout ne gramar but got bored thinking of how to write in text talk Razz.
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am/have been an active member of many other forums, all without the karma system, so it's not actually needed. It does, however, reduce the amount of spam/txt talk without the need for a moderator, so in that respect I like it. It also helps stop the "me too" posts - all you have to do is agree with a post. The only part that annoys me is when a negatively rated post isn't backed up with a reason - if someone disagrees with what I have posted, then they should back it up with a why. That's not a fault with the karma system though, IMHO.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really couldn't give a toss. I dont have a huge amount of karma compared to some (not forgetting I've been a member of this forum since the start).

I'm not obsesed with my karma, and if you look at most of my post's they are short. I swear, I rarely rate posts and in general I ignore the karma system.

It leaves me alone and I leave it alone. Laughing

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 13:41 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

california_rookie wrote:
I haven't got loads of karma and I like the system. Question

But you do! Out of supposedly 3000 members you are 104th for karma!

I think too many people make a big deal with the difference between green and gold blobs.

I voted to keep it.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesnt bother me the slightest.

Its here to keep order and make the forum a more user friendly place (In theory.)

Wouldnt be bothered if the system never existed, after all, we come on forums to communicate with others, by sharing opinions, advice and information.

Obviously, if people are being penalised for expressing opinions, then that is a problem, but otherwise, nothing wrong with the system. Thumbs Up

Penny Coin Penny Coin

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:02 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderator on other forums I can see this being a fantastic help for the Moderators on this site. They can actually contribute to the forum instead of having to troll through threads, locking them etc.

You don't see any of the mods or Korn posting something like "Can we please get back on topic please" or "We cannot tolerate that sort of language on this forum". Instead YOU and ME the members of this forum moderate itself by rating posts as we see fit, that way there are no conflicts between members and everyone is happy. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good fun rating posts as "Boring" or "Abusive" but this friends bollocks is a bit of a nonsense.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:03 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The friends bit I'd say is one of the most useful parts of it. It means that you're able to have your contact details available to to those you want to be able to see them. Have a read of this post about the friends system. It's a sensible function really.

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:

You don't see any of the mods or Korn posting something like "Can we please get back on topic please" or "We cannot tolerate that sort of language on this forum". Instead YOU and ME the members of this forum moderate itself by rating posts as we see fit, that way there are no conflicts between members and everyone is happy. Thumbs Up

That is why I like this forum so much, the mods stay in the background and leave us to it. I like the karma system, gives you a clue about other users.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "I don't really care" option?

It's a feature of the forum, like it or leave it. I was a n00b to this place a while back with no karma, having to preview posts wasn't really the end of the world.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that Dusty suggested might help: an option to turn off all indicatios of levels of karma.

This could be added to your profile when you get over the first two green blobs or something.

I would still like to have an option to add a comment with your positive or negative feedback; ie 'I find this joke offensive because my child had his eye pecked out by a small furry creature that that thought it was a suitable sexual partner'.

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 22:38 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

Thirded.
All it does is stop us from expressing our honest opinions.

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:46 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125-Kid-UK wrote:
Thirded.
All it does is stop us from expressing our honest opinions.

While I don't like the way some things do appear to be 'stifled' thanks to people worrying about karma; I think that people also do hide behind the anonimity (is that a word?) of the internet and go a bit far and get too abusive towards others. Other people do also seem to get a bit too annoyed when people do express their opinions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3