Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Your views on the karma system?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Topic moved: from to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (19 Jan 2005 - 16:17)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you keep the karma system?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 61 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 88

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone acts an arse though, other members of the forum erm. "put him right Smile. That's what the F&FW forum should be for, in addition to ranting Laughing .

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 28 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite probably one of the reasons this is such a good forum, idiots and loosers are gotten rid of sharpish, trouble makers and spamers can be offed without a mod haveing to reach for the ban button...

Theres allot of other forums ive been on and was supprised at how.. well crap they were, threads instantly going off topic with the usual members going off on a "oh yeh i had toast for lunch" conversation, annoying the hell out of whoever posted it only to have abuse hurled at them even by the so called mods Rolling Eyes

Only wish all forums had something like this...

JimboJ
Manc Pikey

PostPosted: 00:18 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the internet, people get abusive, it is funny so why stop it?

If people are abusive then a mod can ban them. If, heaven forbid a person is abusive for a whole 24 hours will it really hurt someone? only the really stupid people who let people with a keybaord offend them. What will be said on the internet will be said, people hide behind keybaords, it's funny. Heck I've done it.

Karma = bollocks, who needs it? at the end of the day we're all going to be killed in horific motorcycle accidents (or so our parents want us to beleive to stop us doing it, Karma is the least of our worries)
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:23 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd rather be somewhere where people aren't constantly abusing each other; one of the reasons I don't like to hang around Visordown etc.
While I can take the abuse, it's just nicer for me without it.

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:47 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Karma system is a form of censorship, and I hate censorship.

Wether you agree or disagree with anything I say, you have the right of reply. However, if enough people disagree, I have no right of reply.

I first found this site via a forum invasion. Yeah, sure we came over to wind people up, but the karma system was used to ban everybody who joined that day, irrespective of where they were from. And of course, once you're banned, you have no right of reply.

'Yay, we kept this forum good and clean'.

'Who were they?'

'Dunno, some of them didn't even say anything, but we karma'd them good. Yeehaw'

George Dubya would have been proud.

Cheers,

Byrnie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:55 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it doesn't ban anyone!

It restricts usage of BCF to being able to send a PM to Korn. Razz

Don't think it would have banned everyone who joined that day, just those who had provoked the karma system enough to warrent it banning them, which is good as the system bans people playing around with forum invasions without the need for mods to interveen.
Quote:
And of course, once you're banned, you have no right of reply.
The idea of banning someone is so they have no reply. Confused

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:21 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
But it doesn't ban anyone!

It restricts usage of BCF to being able to send a PM to Korn. Razz

And does it inform the person of that right?

ste wrote:
Don't think it would have banned everyone who joined that day, just those who had provoked the karma system enough to warrent it banning them, which is good as the system bans people playing around with forum invasions without the need for mods to interveen.

July 12th there was much back-slapping and congratulations all round for the wonderful job the mods and the Karma system had done to repel the invaders.

Ste wrote:
Quote:
And of course, once you're banned, you have no right of reply.
The idea of banning someone is so they have no reply. Confused

So it is censorship then? A denial of speech?

Cheers,

Byrnie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 04:26 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma has good and bad points, I kind of like the post rating system for opinion terms only i.e. I will rate a post "funny" because I think it's FUNNY.. I don't do it to "reward" the poster.. If we didn't have post ratings then I'd just reply saying "lol" or something. Post ratings mean you don't have to make that "lol" post... which is good. That is POST RATING SYSTEM though, not kama. I think post ratings, good or bad, should NOT reward a forum user NOR anything else. Karma itself I don't like at all. Post ratings then yes I like that Thumbs Up

Friends system, in theory, is a good idea. But it doesn't work and never will.. If I want someone to have my contact details then they'll be told it - I'm never gonna stick it in me profile and I know a LOT of people are the same! I will happily let Korn delete all the friends from my profile, go ahead Thumbs Up Laughing I'm still not going to stick my details there... The only people I actually have set as a friend (not those that have set ME as a friend..) are people who I have met.. I've only set them as a friends because I've met them.. doesn't mean I want them to have my number Razz

I personally don't understand why this forum needs a karma system, it's not really that big and most users are "main" forum users.. that's what makes it so good, so why have a system that is ripping the forum apart. The system is obviously pissing members off despite the fact they still have decent karma!! That's what it comes down to really.. Punishing the good members just so the mods don't have to do as much and confusing the new members to the point where they can't be bothered to get used to the forum Thumbs Down

"If it's not broke, don't fix it" Thumbs Down

<edit>

To kind of prove a point here..

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=38466

MAYHEM4 - new member of recent times, generally accepted and welcomed onto the forum, has green karma so hasn't been a twat or anything, yet he feels the need to complain about karma... a lot of people will get bored of that and won't bother posting here quite as much until they can't be bothered to come back at all.... He's a new member, why should he be punished with pop ups, annoying notices, not being able to post short messages etc.. when he's DONE NOTHING WRONG.. Those messages may stop when he gets higher karma, but what if he can't be fecked to stay around for that long because the karma pissed him off too much? If you get what I'm saying Confused

Last edited by Sparks! on 04:32 - 29 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 04:28 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born2bVile wrote:
So it is censorship then? A denial of speech?.

Whilst I kind of agree with what your saying, you've got it slightly wrong there mate, of course that is censorship, be a twat and you'll get banned.

No offence, you've turned into a good member Thumbs Up but when another forum comes on here to "invade" us then that's only causing trouble so you all got banned.. personally then yeah I believe moderators/admin should have banned you, not the users themselves.. but either way you would have been banned that day so don't use that as an excuse Wink

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:31 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a nosey at the ratings given to me.

And I've noticed one negative rating, so I checked the thread to see why.

Guess what? No reason, no argument.

No excuse!

If you don't like my opinion, at least have the balls to explain why.

Down-rating without explanation shows a complete lack of conviction in your side of the argument.

Cheers,

Byrnie.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:10 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, it's a very fair system, it can tell when your serious or joking Laughing

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 10:17 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've only set them as a friends because I've met them.. doesn't mean I want them to have my number

Well thats completely missing the point of the system - and you cannot blame the system for that.

Quote:
All it does is stop us from expressing our honest opinions.

Only if you worry about what reaction your opinions will generate. If thats the case then maybe you should consider whether its an appropriate comment to be aired in public. If its something that you would happily say in a public setting then you should have no worries about karma.

Quote:
I personally don't understand why this forum needs a karma system, it's not really that big and most users are "main" forum users.. that's what makes it so good....

The forum is the way it is because of the karma system, not in spite of it. The wankers stay on visordown and leave us alone. When was the last time a random spammer ruined a binch of posts? How often do you see random insults thrown into posts? How often do threads actually stay on topic and become a proper discussion?

I say leave the system alone (possibly with the exception of Dustys suggestion).

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 10:49 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really upsets me, it really really p1sses me off is my title, "I love Karma" I think not!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the karma system it's one of the things that makes BCF different to other forums. Can you imagine the crap that would go on if it wasn't in place?

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
I like the karma system it's one of the things that makes BCF different to other forums. Can you imagine the crap that would go on if it wasn't in place?

What stuff like, who can suck their own dick and who likes frosties and all the other amusingly pointless posts that we end up having.

LOL

I do enjoy the crap that is posted to be honest, I hardly ever talk about bikes on this bike chat forum..... Laughing Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:22 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm under the illusion that the "who can suck their own cock" thread is the only thing that is keeping you here. Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 12:32 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
I'm under the illusion that the "who can suck their own cock" thread is the only thing that is keeping you here. Razz

Hence I do enjoy the crap that is posted to be honest, I hardly ever talk about bikes on this bike chat forum.....

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 13:56 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
seconded, the only people that like the karma system are those with loads of karma!

You have more Karma than me, so how does that work eh? I want to keep it, I think it's great. Thumbs Up

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 14:08 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No"

Theres no benefit in it being operated.

Milo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF is here and getting stronger...so the karma is obviously doing it's job well. Thumbs Up

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 15:30 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would do that anyway if adequately moderated. The benefits of karma are only perceived - there are no real benefits and plenty of detrimental effects ... bandwidth and resource are used by completely inappropriate flames and 'wars' that arise or are based on nothing more than how 'well' karma is doing ... or not ...

It is a Pink Elephant ...

Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:51 - 29 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at forums that are regularly moderated.

The moderators get all sorts of shit and all sorts of arguments are started because one person's post wasn't removed while another's was.

I'm glad that I very rarely have to moderate things and when I do, most of the time it's just moving a thread to a more suitable section.
Only time I have to actually edit a post 99% of the time is to add a 'not work safe', or to change a link so that it works etc.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:20 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't really give a shit about the Karma system, more bothered that I can't find a list of the mods.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones that are the mods are the names in green on the online users list.

And as far as I know, G, Bendy, Stew, TiN and Kickstart are the mods. Smile

The list of them is here.

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:18 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a good case for having a disagree option which doesn't actually give out negative karma. People in that way can express their view on a post without worrying about censorship issues, and posters can see how their opinion was received.

I often disagree with posts, but don't rate them as such because I don't want to give out negative karma because someone has a different point of view to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3