Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hartford Legion Exhaust manifold query

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:36 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Hartford Legion Exhaust manifold query Reply with quote

hi after my little wet highside type incident and the exhaust smacking the curb, the manifold is venting and losing me compression. Oh and making it sound like a chavved up nova, and go about as fast too.

After exploration today it seems the exhaust goes into the block, and then has two metal wedges too that curl around the pipe and assumedly wedge it in tightly and halt any loss of gases. Then the oval piece you bolt on the top to secure them tightly inplace yada yada yada. Thats the theory anyway.

However no matter how hard i clout them in with a hammer (i was getting vexed) and do it all up, it vents like a motherfucker. Now i understand the pipe may have been knocked to a slight angle, but any suggestions as to a technique to stop any venting? At the moment it may come to half a tube of unstant gasket and a few days drying. But might that foul the cylinder and perhaps make it a dog to change the exhaust if i need to (the support stanchion took a battering in the crash too, and the exhaust seems to rattle nicely aswell when shaken)?

Any help really appreciated. The bike is a hartford legion 125, which is a single cylinder, single exhaust 125 four stroke.

Regards, richard
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:22 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I take it you mean it is leaking from where the pipe meets the head.

If the pipe is badly bent where it joins the head then you will probably need to fix or replace it. However the first choice would be to replace the exhaust gasket. These compress quite a bit and will make up to a fairly large gap.

Probably cheaper than a tube of instant gasket as well.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:39 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another thought. Is the exhaust collar held onto the head with a couple of bolts or with some studs coming out of the head. It is is a pair of studs then check that they are not bent and so pulling the collar in at an odd angle.

All the best

Keith

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for help, but it doesnt seem to have a gasket. Odd i know. All it has are these two collar pieces, and that oval you tighten on, except i knew from before the crash it wasnt straight on either.

Also it doesnt meet the head, it kind of goes into it.

Ive scribbled a very quick diagram to display it. Basically the two collar pieces seem to go about 95% around the pipe and into the block, and seal the pipe quite well in place. And then with the oval piece on it looks the part, however im loathe to other enthuse my efforts and perhaps cause damage. But being vaguely assertive with the parts has still rendered some gap thats pissing exhaust.

Either way i go to the hartford dealer tomoro so hopefully when i order my brake line i can get a gasket if it does need one, or at least a tutorial.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the inserts are bent, so the collar doesn't push them in far enough? I've found it quite tricky getting the exhausts into exact alignment to get the nuts onto the studs very well, so it wasn't tightened properly.

I'm not sure if this is a really good idea or not, but you could have the engine running, and wiggle the exhaust about to see if it will close properly slightly differently aranged?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1