Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Karma & Ratings Query - FAO Korn mainly

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from to Forum Feedback & Help by Korn (19 Jan 2005 - 16:12)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 12:11 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Karma & Ratings Query - FAO Korn mainly Reply with quote

THREAD NOW CLOSED

Hey Korn (or anyone else that can shed some light)

What's happening here mate?

As you know, map's been doing LOADS of work for our calendar lately, so I have been rating all the posts accordingly with 'helpful', but now, all his posts that I have rated, when I look in my profile, they have 'removed automatically' scored through them and the rating cancelled? Why is this?

Also, yesterday I had two gold blobs and today I only have one? Crying or Very sad

I have been sending LOADS of pm's responding to people's requests for calendars to be emailed recently - could this have something to do with it! Confused

Last edited by Fallen Angel on 16:42 - 20 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 12:25 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you rate lots of posts in the same thread with the same rating it gets revoked as "spam karma". Like if you have a Happy Birthday thread and you rate everyone in there as "cool" you will see them all get revoked.
Here's a particuarly bad offender! Laughing

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 12:44 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did rate loads of his posts but they were warranted!!! Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 15:31 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were indeed warrented - definately.

It's a pity that in this case the karma bot has picked up on this, becuase the ratings were deserved in this circumstance.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: F.A.O. Nath Reply with quote

F.A.O. Nath - Oi! Mate, what's your script with rating my post boring?

Why is it boring - it may not be relevant to you, but why boring?

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now rate all posts about Karma as boring unless they are something genuinely interesting. Karma's a pretty small and non-important part of the forum, so why make a post everytime it goes down, or does something you don't like? Okay, so you personally haven't started loads of topics about it, but it seems like there's at least one a week. Karma as a topic of discussion is getting really boring, hence the rating.

If people can still read what you've written, and respond to it, what difference does Karma really make? How did me clicking "boring" make any difference to what you've posted. If anything, more people are likely to read the thread to see why it got a bad rating.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 16:01 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, BUT, if you had read my post properly instead of just the title, it is more about the ratings function that I am querying!

I had rated someone's posts as helpful because he has been extremely helpful.

Karma and ratings are a system in place for a reason - with your comments you'd be as well not having that system! Rolling Eyes

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
I think if you rate lots of posts in the same thread with the same rating it gets revoked as "spam karma". Like if you have a Happy Birthday thread and you rate everyone in there as "cool" you will see them all get revoked.
Here's a particuarly bad offender! Laughing

ahem...

Why can't I rate 'cool' to people taking the time to wish me happy birthday.

Mr Korn care to comment?

Swaffs

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Nath's point of view. It does get pretty boring. You could argue that you just shouldn't open the threads mentioning karma, but on the other hand I would prefer the page not to be cluttered with threads about karma.

You probably should have posted this in the Feedback/Suggestions section. Smile

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:02 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
. If anything, more people are likely to read the thread to see why it got a bad rating.

/Me waves....

hehe I only looked in to laugh at the arguments about to ensue Very Happy

FA wrote:
I had rated someone's posts as helpful because he has been extremely helpful.

When it comes down to it, it means fuck all! Having his posts rated as helpful won't make him a millionaire, it won't make him young again or the best in the world, it won't give him a Ferrari or be the No.1 on BCF... you rated his posts helpful - it means jack, so don't worry about moaning bout' it.. it means n-o-t-h-i-n-g to anyone other than a boring post about karma.

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 17:04 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woh ho, more Karma discussions.... They just never go away...

And I do not love karma, despite my name.

Last edited by Mr Pants! on 17:04 - 19 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

Then why bother having the bloody system in place if it means fuck all!!!! Rolling Eyes

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

Fallen Angel wrote:
Then why bother having the bloody system in place if it means fuck all!!!! Rolling Eyes

Exactomondo Clapping it does little else other than creating arguements Smile

Last edited by Sparks! on 17:05 - 19 Jan 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Pants!
I Karma

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen Angel wrote:

very very well said!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally it can be pretty useful. If loads of people vote on a post, but there's a big difference of oppinion for instance.

Or if someone's written something really profound/interesting, but you don't want to clog up the thread by posting to say so. Lets them know that people did bother reading it.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 17:20 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely my point Nath, so me rating map's posts as helpful lets him know that we all appreciate what he's done! Rolling Eyes

Korn, this is your bloody fault mate!!! Wink

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 17:58 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea:

Lets start a thread and see what people's opinions are on the karma system. Perhaps even a poll. That would be an interesting and novel discussion. Rolling Eyes Wink

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's useful in the way that if I ask for advice, I'm far more inclined to listen to those with really good karma than those who have negative.

Its a creative way to get round the problem of people spamming the forum to get their "post count" up, which is what happens on other forums I've been on - instead there is what should be a valid measure of how well member contributes to the forum. It's also really good for getting rid of crap posts, as they are hidden after being rated negativley a few times.

No, it's not perfect - but no system ever is.

Craig

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:28 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My take on it would be that you are rating the post useful, not the person. As such although someone might well be helpful it is very unlikely that all their posts (or even half a dozen consecutive ones) are helpful to one person.

Is karma useful? Well, it does highlight threads with dodgy ratings (such as spam) so that a mod can spot it easily and delete it.

All the best

Keith

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:31 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
When it comes down to it, it means fuck all! Having his posts rated as helpful won't make him a millionaire, it won't make him young again or the best in the world, it won't give him a Ferrari or be the No.1 on BCF... you rated his posts helpful - it means jack, so don't worry about moaning bout' it.. it means n-o-t-h-i-n-g to anyone other than a boring post about karma.

Shhhh, stop telling people, people want their karma to increase without realising that their quality of life doesn't actually change. Let people post good stuff if their blobs make them happy. Smile
Major_Grooves wrote:
Lets start a thread and see what people's opinions are on the karma system. Perhaps even a poll.

What, you mean like this? Razz

Dusty
King of the Rim

PostPosted: 18:39 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some people read far too much into karma. As Nath said it is a very small part of the forum and imo not meant to be taken too seriously.

Surely people who don't like the karma system can just ignore it? Or prehaps if people were very nice to korn he might make a skin which didn't display the karma blobs, so that people can get past their feelings of inadequacy because they haven't yet joined the 'gold karma elite'.

At the end of the day one bad rating is going to have no real negative impact on anybody's karma, so whats the big deal?

Although it does seem a bit harsh having genuine and deserved ratings revoked, but to be honest I'm sure it could be resolved by dropping korn or a mod a pm and asking that the ratings be allowed to stand. Doesn't really seem worth starting a thread over tbh.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Major_Grooves wrote:
Lets start a thread and see what people's opinions are on the karma system. Perhaps even a poll.

What, you mean like this? Razz

Oh gosh. It's been done before. Neutral Wink

Anyway this thread is taking the usual course... Razz

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 00:21 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma's great, you get to collect little green blobbys and if you're REALLY good you can get gold ones. Mr. Green

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 10:48 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty wrote:

Although it does seem a bit harsh having genuine and deserved ratings revoked, but to be honest I'm sure it could be resolved by dropping korn or a mod a pm and asking that the ratings be allowed to stand. Doesn't really seem worth starting a thread over tbh.

Fair point! Thumbs Up

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 11:42 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussions about karma are like smashing your head against a brick wall till it bleeds. It's pointless and doesn't achieve anything but some people do it anyway.

I'll go get the Savlon...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2