Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Preset Reasons for Giving Karma

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:29 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Preset Reasons for Giving Karma Reply with quote

Instead of choosing from a drop-down list of reason as to why you gave someone karma, wouldn't also be a good idea to be able to let you type in your own reason as well? This might make the reason as to why the karma was given clearer. Not really bothered about it, but thought the choices were limited.

nick.h
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are plently of choices, you just have to choose carefully.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=22854
[Italjet MM5A] ll [Rieju RS1 Evolution] ll [Suzuki GS500e] ll [Suzuki GSX600F] ll [Honda CG125] ll [Pug Elyseo 125] ll [Yamaha YZF750R] ll [Yamaha Thunderace] ll [Yamaha R6] ll [Triumph 955i] ll [Hayabusa RZK3] ll [Suzuki RGV250] ll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:58 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also lead to lots more problems. With pre set options wioth defintions of when they should be used it is very easy for the mods to decide what is and isn't a appropriate rating. If there was the option to type in custom reasons expect lots of "cos you're a twat", " ", "cos you rated my post down", "cos I want to", "I don't like you", "fuck you", "twat", "cunt", "fuck you!!!", "go fuck yourself", "wanker", "you're an idiot", "you couldn't spell to save your life", "learn to spell", "idiot", "use the spell checker", "use capital letters", "I want you to be banned" and other such things.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Re: Preset Reasons for Giving Karma Reply with quote

I would agree.

However the problem is that the system is not intended to 'give karma'. The system is intended so that people can see how others consider their posts.
The karma is a side effect, that shouldn't really be considered to be the reason a rating is given.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:29 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I say this is that I used to be a member of another forum where the karma system was used. On that site you could enter any reason and the system worked very well, giving the users the chance to explain in more detail why they found the post useful or not. Also there was a choice as to whether be a part of the karma system at all.

I think the karma system is open to abuse just as much now - giving a specific reason just changes the description of the abuse rather than the actual act of using it for abuse. I'm not fussed at all really, I only mentioned it because of seeing the system used to good effect on another site.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:50 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if there are set definitions for the set ratings then it is very easy for the mods to see if and when to revoke ratings. If people can put whatever they want then there it is a lot more open to how you interpret it.

Would "cos you're a right twat and I hate you" be a valid reason?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Would "cos you're a right twat and I hate you" be a valid reason?

If someone wants to abuse the system they could put that. But equally at the moment they can easily select one of the preset reasons and have the same effect.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:12 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

But at the moment with preset choices, each different rating has a reason for when it should be used explained on this page. So if I rated your first post as spam, then as its clearly not "blatant piece of unsolicited commercial advertising, similar to what you would term junk mail." so a mod can very easily and fairly revoke it without me then being able to kick up a fuss. But if I were to rate your first post as "cos you're a right twat and I hate you", whats wrong with that, as calling you a twat is someones personal opinion as is saying I hate you, so there would be nothing wrong with me doing that as it could be entirely true.

Expect it would create lots of headaches for mods & Korn from people (like me Razz) giving out daft ratings.

Actually, please can we be able to give custom reasons for post ratings. Please. I promise not to abuse it (much). Razz

If you're still in support of the system, if Korn enables it I am quite happy to give a demonstration of why such a system can easily be abused and create lots of problems. Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:08 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldy600RR wrote:

I think the karma system is open to abuse just as much now - giving a specific reason just changes the description of the abuse rather than the actual act of using it for abuse. I'm not fussed at all really, I only mentioned it because of seeing the system used to good effect on another site.

We had it similar to this before. Personally I would like to see an opportunity to specifically give karma.

However, as mentioned, that's not really the intention of the ratings system, even if that is what some people (ab)use it as.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 23:18 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is karma and post ratings are inextricably linked. You can't rate a post without affecting someone's karma (or am I wrong?). To get a system to find useful posts karma should be scrapped and the post ratings that relate to the post only, and not combined with a person's karma.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:21 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect the idea is that the karma then reflects people's views of that person's posts.

Thus you can see who is likely to be posting crap and who is likely to know what they are talking about, etc.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"cos you're a twat", " ", "cos you rated my post down", "cos I want to", "I don't like you", "fuck you", "twat", "cunt", "fuck you!!!", "go fuck yourself", "wanker", "you're an idiot", "you couldn't spell to save your life", "learn to spell", "idiot", "use the spell checker", "use capital letters", "I want you to be banned" and other such things.

But only you would rate them as such ste Wink

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 15:21 - 27 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone agrees/disagrees with a post then there's a really easy way of explaining why a rating was given. It's called making another post.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:12 - 27 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShaggyDA wrote:
If someone agrees/disagrees with a post then there's a really easy way of explaining why a rating was given. It's called making another post.

Indeed.

Though, at a guess, one of the reasons this was introduced was to prevent threads turning into massive flame wars because of minor disagreements.
Doesn't actually seem to help that much though.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you disagree with someones post they just think you are karma bashing. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1