Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Some protective modifications

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Some protective modifications Reply with quote

Spent some money with R&G this week in the aid of protecting the bike should it fall off it's rubber at any time, together with a hugger.

Thought you may be interested in how I spent my afternoon...

Here's the stuff I bought. It already has crash bungs, so there are fork protectors, swing arms protectors, can protector and the hugger.

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/4.jpg

Swing arm protectors fitted (fitted with a hammer, hence the loss of writing):

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/5.jpg

Fork protectors fitted:

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/6.jpg

Can protector and hugger (after a bit of swearing) fitted:

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/8.jpg

Bike before additions:

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/1.jpg

And after:

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/9.jpg

Short of a bucket load of cotton wool I'm not sure there's much else I can add, protection wise. Not that I'm paranoid or anything Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CJA
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:09 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good what make is the hugger?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Powerbronze one. It was a bit awkward to fit but seems decent enough.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 23:24 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the point of the right swing arm protector when the exhaust protector would make contact with the ground?
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point really. The one on the left is the only one that would help in a spill. I guess they sell them in pairs in case you've modified the exhaust route.

It's on my bike in the interest of symmetry Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:28 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

It's on my bike in the interest of symmetry Thumbs Up

So, when are you putting on the other exhaust? Wink
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
So, when are you putting on the other exhaust? Wink

After I've fitted the mirrors and screen to the back of the bike Razz

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtle but effective modifications, I like it. Thumbs Up

The exhaust protector thing looks rather odd mind. Razz

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 01:34 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh but if it saves a £200+ can then its deff worth it!!

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 06:52 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell from the pics but do you have a pair of R & G bar ends to go with everything else? Would just round off the bike nicely. Smile

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gti wrote:
Can't tell from the pics but do you have a pair of R & G bar ends to go with everything else? Would just round off the bike nicely. Smile

I haven't actually. I had some for my ZX6R and they don't fit on the GSXR too well. I meant to check whether they're different for the different bikes or the same (and just a bad fit).

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:37 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, how much did all that cost?

sp1

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr... from memory Confused :

Hugger £40
Can Protector £40
Fork Protectors £20
Swingarm Protectors £20

Hopefully more than pay for itself if it ever goes down the road!

VTR SP1
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:46 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I want to fit crash bungs to my bike as they have to go through right through the bike and fairings have to be cut. R&G ones are about £100 and the dealer thinks it's best if they fit them. About 1 hour labour = £30.

sp1

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what it was like on my ZX6R. It needed holes in the fairings, and a new water bottle (as the bungs went right through where the old one sits - the new one has a hole through it) and was about £100. Normally they're about £60, and they just screw into the engine mount on a GSXR.

I got a dealer to fit the bungs on the ZX6R, it took them bloody ages!

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 12:35 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver, is that the Red ZX6R your on about? Thats what I'm buying next, R&G Bungs. I knew the fairing had to be drilled, but whats the deal with the water bottle?? Confused

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 14:27 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver, I can't get over how sexy that GSXR looks in silver and black, it really is beautiful. Drooling
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cc123 wrote:
Silver, is that the Red ZX6R your on about? Thats what I'm buying next, R&G Bungs. I knew the fairing had to be drilled, but whats the deal with the water bottle?? Confused

On mine (the A1P model) where the water bottle sits (just behind the fairing on the left hand side, I think) is where the crash bung needs to be mounted. So, R&G include a new water bottle with a hole in it so that the bar can go through it. Hence the price hike over the normal bungs.

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
Silver, I can't get over how sexy that GSXR looks in silver and black, it really is beautiful. Drooling

I agree, but then I'm biased! Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1