Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

my derbi gpr problems :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:28 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: my derbi gpr problems :( Reply with quote

Hey,

I recently (4 months ago) brought a brand new GPR50 (2004 spec) and have had absolutely nothing but trouble with it, here's what's wrong with it:

1st day I had it, the arrow exhaust it had misfired, and the didn't clean the carb out properly, no tick-over.

then I had to take it back again, they didn't clean the carb out properly. Dies when stopping after moving, ie coming to traffic lights

On the third day it was fine...wow, then it just went really sluggish, wouldn't pass 4,000 revs, then when I got it back it wouldn't start.

The break light doesn't work when the rear brake is used

It's needed a new 'magnito' (I Think) - It wouldn't start / bumpstart and backfired.

Since then it's been the usual chain tightning, service etc, but now...

Both front fork seals burst and sprayed oil all over my lovely disks, wheels, fairing and calipers - this happened when riding, no warning at all - are both supposed to go together?

when pulling off it feels as if the back wheel's lagging, you get a slight jerk back, same as changing gears, however it never used to do this, the chain's perfectly tight. It also vibrates like mad on a perfect road in very low revs. My friend tells me my back wheel barings have gone because my wheel's misaligned (thank you to the mechanics) and this has also wrecked my back break, sometimes ehre a massive 'clunk' and the break not work then work again, this happened yesterday and i was a few mill from hitting a wall.

BATTERY! Damnit, I've had 2 replacement batteries, and a new regulator, all they do is charge it up then send it back to me, thena week later it's gone again, that means I have to bump start it, the oil light's allways on, indicators and brake light dont work. Main lights work.

They owe me a new left side fairing, when installing my exhaust they let the exhaust lean against it and it developed a massive bubble around where it was. They say they're ordering it from spain. BULLSHIT!

There's no rev counter, that jsut flickers everywhere.

That's all I can think of at the moment, it's a quick bike, and they gave me an MK for free, but still it's like riding a second hand bike,but with a £2500 price tag.

I was wandering what I should do about this, this is deffinately not normal right? I'm taking it down there tomorow and my dad's going to have a massive go at them, went there this morning, they saw the forks and let me ride off with it, the fork problems really bad and i have no front break, it's leaking out massivly, big pool of oil on my wheel.

Should I tell them to replace the fork seals (or forks?), replace the brake pad and brake disk, rear brake (get that fixed), Battery problem fixed, fairing fixed, rear wheel barings.

What about the tyres, it slid out today at about 10 mph round a tight corner because of the oil, and it was bone dry, do i replace them or use a cleaner?

I've also been told I should ask for a new bike (although i've told them that i've fallen off it twice and they prob. wouldn't take it back) or go directly to derbi and make a complaint.

My garage is absolute SHIT, I've paid £300, for servicing, they replaced a brake lever (REAR) £60!!!, front brake pads (which are cheap ones) changed oil which they never do! clean the bike (they don't) and some other things.

I really need some opinions on this matter.

Thanks, love this forum BTW Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a drink, always solves my problems.....

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:52 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheres your nearest river?
i think the bike belongs in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manual in this thread could be useful.

I'll jot down a few wise words about derbis once i've stopped drinking & working.

TomC
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:30 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im completely new to bikes, and if you can do the easy jobs yourself then do that, save money and learn something, but it does sound very bad for a brand new bike, but shouldnt they have some sort of warrenty?

Oh and if all else fails you can swap it for my Senda Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:28 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has a warentee for three years i believe, which is awsome Smile I get most things done for free, and done quickly, they're just so sloppy with the work
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiraprise wrote:
I get most things done for free, and done quickly, they're just so sloppy with the work

Shocked Understatement of the year! Get your money back and go elsewhere. Bloody shocking that mate Thumbs Down

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is by no means a "do it yourself" time, you take it back and demand repairs, it still has its 1 year warranty. If you are still blighted with rpboelsm with it, I'd look into contacting derbi directly or asking for a refund. Reject the goods. Seek advice from a solicitor if it goes tits up.

Let it be known, you shouldnt stand for this... that bike is f*cked in every sense of the word.

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:33 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

trouble is, I don't want to fall out with my derbi dealer, as I live on an island, it's the only place I can get derbi parts from...

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiraprise wrote:
it's the only place I can get derbi parts from...

Mail order direct from Derbi UK. Cheaper, quicker and easier than any dealer.

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just got it back.

fixed front fork seals, cleaned the entire front end from it.

replaced front brake pads.

attempted to fix the battery problem, got a new one, but it isn't fully charged so still i am bumping it, but I gotta see how it goes.

He's dffinately ordered the sidepanel, he showed me an invoice so that's good.

overall very good service, took one day for them to do it.

all under warentee Smile

dansuresh
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:46 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i cannot believe u r having so many problems with ur derbi!! I have a derbi gpr (1998 model) and it has had no major problems, or nothing like wht u have been having.

I would not take it from the dealer, i would demand 4 a replacement since it is supposed to be a new bike so there should b no problems at all!

Anyway hope u get it all fixed and hope this wont throw u off derbi's cos they r brilliant! If u can find a new garage where u can take ur bike instead of ur current.

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about making my first bike a GPR (in about 11 months) are they commonly this unreliable? Another thing is im quite a tall bloke, whats the seat hieght on one of those?

TomC
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:51 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If size on the GPR is a problem, may not be, i have never ridden one, but the derbi senda is good for me and im 6"2 so bare that in mind when you come to buying.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your battery (and this applies to other Derbis too, and Piaggios) - you probably have an earth problem.

You (or your dealer) need to run an extra earth cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the motor. This should prevent a lot of the problems.

dansuresh
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Aikman666, i have had the gpr for 1 year now, i have no major problems like Akiraprise has had!! My bike is 6 years old(1998) now, i think that this is just 1 time thing! Very Happy

GPRs are a very good bike to start on.

About the seat height, i would say its around 75cm - 80 cm. I am 5"6 and if i put both feet down then i am on my toes!!

Hope this helps

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well batteries just gone again, took one start and it ruined the battery, going back monday! :S.

About the ride height - I'm 6ft and it's very comfortable to ride.

Derbi's are very good, there's no doubt they're the quickest 50cc stock, you'll also get alot of street cred with their new styling - geourgous bike! But not sure of it's speed I think it's quite slow.

Anyway, I'll let you know on monday, I'm going to see if I have any rights to demand a new bike, trouble is I've fallen off on both sides - so all the panels are scratched...

NY_Sniper
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:20 - 04 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just woundering what is the name of tha garage you going to i know i have nothing but problems with my Derbi GPR 50 (1999) but thats come to an end ( i lowsided in to a lamp post and its fooked lol ) also i have had a few of your problems such as it being really sluggish and not reving that ended up being the carb being full of crap ive also had a full clutch replacment which got me home ( leeds ) from doncaster only to pull up outside a m8s for the outter clutch basket so seze because the stupid cunts overtightned the nut :S so all other work ha been done by myself such as ,
a piston ring blew ( i had no idea at the time ) but it blew a chunk out of my piston and all the shit floating around fucked up the barrel and cylnder head so all tha got replaced ( it was the 80 kit ) i just hope things work out for you and you have fun with the bike unlike me , i just got it running when i crashed it :@:@:@:@ and if you want an 80 bore kit i can give you the number of the place i got it

matt

> Kawasaki ZX7R (Betty Jnr) <> Suzuki GS500e in pieces (Bitch) <> Suzuki GS500e (Martha) <>

K!K @
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 06 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bag of wank bikes !
Yoyu spend more money on getting the fucking things running than you do on the actual bike. Thumbs Down
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Whitetrash This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

riddas GPR50 2005
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:42 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: NEW GPR 50 Reply with quote

HEY GUY'S,
i have the 2005 model of the gpr50 and its a beast! its beta then the old one and very reliable. my friend has the older versions and ive ridden them all but this one is the b in bike. brought it two months ago and it's just been run in. ive also just had it de restitcted. wen its flt out it does 60-65mph, and all i have modded is the filter and sprocket and re jetted it. hopefully i will have an arrow and carb then possibilly the big bore 80cc so hopefully it should do a fair bit more then 60-65mph Very Happy Thumbs Up

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:19 - 12 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah the starting problem's still there, they fitted another new reglator and battery and promised me it's charging the battery, strange how the next day the battery was depleated.

But I've found another - super cool problem with it, it broke down yesterday when the weather was really bad, somehow water's getting into the carberator, and it's acting like there's no petrol left, with the throttle sometimes not working, wont rev over 8k, awful sounds from the bike and will stall when idling, this was especially fun in the 5:00 rush hour, on a jam packed road up a hill with my starting problems because this made starting even harder.

This really is pathetic, I had it collected yesterday, and they're not going to work on it until monday, I may go in and see if I can get it to work now it's dry because I can't live without my bike.

I'm going to be writing a huge letter to derbi, saying how the bikes gone wrong, how much i've spent on it, several times when it was dangerous, and everything about the bike, see what good that does.

BTW: riddas GPR50 2005 get an MK if there's one for the 05, they're so much better than the arrows, I've had an arrow and they're no where near as good, I've got 72 with an mk and 50 stock (MPH). They're geourgous bikes though, hope you have better luck.

The garage is called Macs Motorcycles BTW - It's in Guernsey

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 02:07 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
I was thinking about making my first bike a GPR (in about 11 months) are they commonly this unreliable? Another thing is im quite a tall bloke, whats the seat hieght on one of those?

Was perfect for me and im 6 foot 4. Oh and as for reliability the older ones are great, not sure whats going on with this guys one though....
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1