BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gearbox oil

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Richard1987
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:19 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: gearbox oil Reply with quote

I have drained my gearbox oil and it was a white / cream colour Confused i take it thats not good, Anyway it now needs filling back up. Is there a way to do it? eg Not too much or what type to put in? Thanks, Richard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:45 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use bike gearbox oil or just 10W40 bike engine oil. I'd use engine oil because its cheaper and does the job just as well.

Assuming this is a 2 stroke with separate gearbox oil:

Drain out the old stuff, and put the drain plug back in. Look around the oil filler, and the amount to fill up with should be stamped on there, likely to be around 800cc.
Fill it with the correct amount from a jug, then find the level plug. Probably on the same side as the drain plug, a bit less than half way up the casing.
Holding the bike upright, remove this plug carefully. A little trickle should come out, showing the oil is just up to this level.
Put the level plug back in sharpish, you're all done.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a senda, then you've got no level plug (well, thats useful) so just measure out the correct amount and fill it up. The level plug on the clutch cover is only useful for telling you that you havent got enough oil.

Creamy oil indicates a leaky water pump or leaky main seals or a leaking breather hose.

It shouldnt be the water pump as they have dual seals with a breather hole between the seals. Check that the breather hole under the water pump is clear.

Change the oil and keep an eye on it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whiteness is a sign that there is water in the oil, it is often just due to the crappy weather or condensation. The water could be coming from the coolant system but I would expect other symptoms too.

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love your two stroke, use Silkolene Light Gear Oil.

Best stroker gearbox oil EVER!

I did 75000 miles on my MZ 301 on it, i swear by the stuff!

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 10w40 oil in my gearbox and it made the clutch slip in the powerband, due to the fact that car manufacturers put additives in to reduce friction, but it also makes the clutch slip.

You should be alright as long as you dont use something like magnatech.

Use proper gearbox oil, it only costs about £2 more.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon1221, thats why I stated 10W40 bike oil.

Magnatec is bad stuff to put in bikes full stop. I don't why, but both me and G had clutch trouble within about 10 miles of using it.

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean i put 10w40 engine oil in, and it didnt work 2 well.

10w40 gearbox oil works better.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:55 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an FAQ on changing the gearbox oil on a 2-stroke a while ago. Doesn't seem to be in the sticky Confused, but if you do a search the answers will be there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is why they recommend multigrade engine oils for use in 2-smoke gearboxes in the first place. Surely EP rated oils would be more appropriate since they are designed to lubricate high shear stress metal/metal applications (like gearboxes) rather than high temperature, high speed applications (like main bearings, valve stems and cylinder bores)

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

EP oils use some additives that are very bad for bearings not designed for them. Using an EP gearbox oil in some older Alfas (pre 1960) is a very quick way to need a gearbox rebuild.

Added to which the amount of torque that a bike engine produces is fairly small.

Honda cars just use normal 10W40 engine oil in the gearboxes.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 55 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1