Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake squweal!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Brake squweal! Reply with quote

Please help,
the front brake has started to squweal when i come to a stop, its just started over the last couple of days!! What causes it? and what can i do to stop it, and please don't say i need new pads! bikes costing me loads at the mo!
Cheers
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dotti
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brothers boss (mechanic) told me that brakes are somehow designed to squeel when the pads/shoes (can't remember which)are almost worn out, so that people take their cars/bikes in to get them checked out (and therefore replaced before they fail). I'm not the best person on here to be advising you, but if I were you I would definitely take a look at your pads to see how much lining is left on them.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 20:38 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotti Laughing Laughing Laughing mine started to do it 2 weeks after i had fitted new ones mate Razz

Brake sqweal is normally caused by some crap stuck behind the back place of the pad and the caliper, causes it to vibrate and make a noise. Being this time of year its likely you have some grit behind the pad, my ninjas front left caliper was doing it last week, pulled out the pads sprayed in some brake cleaner cleaned the back of the pads with a de-greaser and put some copper grease on the back of the pads.

Put it all back together and no more noise Thumbs Up

<edit....obviously if u have drums is the same thing but with drum instead of caliper Wink >

Last edited by craigT19 on 20:40 - 07 Mar 2005; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 20:39 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem will be brake dust. This can happen at any time, although it is normally when pads are bedding in that they squeal to be honest. Mine did it about a week after I fitted new pads, and still do it to this day because I haven't got round to cleaning the rear drum up yet since I have fitted them. When the brakes are worn down to the metal it's normally more of a grinding sound, which is easily distinguishable, you can tell it's metal on metal.

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird how you can find a new problem on your bike, come on here and get it solved without even asking a question

Confused ?

My front wheel starts squeaking when I peddle backwards, and I replaced the pads about 3 weeks ago. I was going to ask what it might be but I think I know now Laughing

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glazed pads/ brake shoes will cause squeaking, as will lack of grease on the back of the pads. Cleaning the caliper and pad up, sanding the glaze off it and putting copper slip grease on the back of it before replacing it will get rid of the squeak.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1