BCF: Bike Chat Forums

speedfight

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

silentriver
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:09 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: speedfight Reply with quote

ok im new to owning a scooter, got the bike end of january had to sit my cbt, get insurance tax etc to get it on the road. I had a couple of shots of the bike to try it out.

Got everything sorted this week and now it won't start. I disconected the battery when it has been sitting idol so as not to drain it.

Im a bit confused as to how the petrol and oil work. Im sure the guy said it would mix it but im not convinised. I put petrol in it yesterday to see if would start. I also got some 2 stroke oil and put that in the oil part, should i not have done that and should i have put it in with the petrol.

anyway at the moment it will not start it tries but just ends up failing, kick starting didn't work at all. I notice the oil light flash on and the imobiliser when it tries to start is that normal?

and the speedo doesnt work, the guy had said that it had seized....

any help and advise is greatly appreciated. its a 100cc

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your over 17 if you bought a 100cc ped, anyways the oil should be in separate tanks and is fed into the carb with the petrol, so don't put any in with the fuel. Oil lights always flash when you turn the key so thats nothing to worry about. Speedo cable is probably just knacked. Any garage should have no trouble ordering you a replacement one. Although this does mean you dont know for sure how many miles the bike has done before you got it. If it won't start a good first thing to try on a scooter is a new spark plug.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

silentriver
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:08 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy i bought it off's, brother works in the garage ill have to take it to,so im wondering why he didnt fix the speedometer.

the battery seems ok, it just won't start. Where is the spark plug located on the bike?

Kye
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:32 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, take it into a garage if you don't know where the spark plug is, because you WILL end up in a mess.

But if you insist on continuing, then under the seat there is an access panel, lift that up and you'll see the plug

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:42 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kye wrote:
Seriously, take it into a garage if you don't know where the spark plug is, because you WILL end up in a mess.

But if you insist on continuing, then under the seat there is an access panel, lift that up and you'll see the plug

Laughing Laughing Laughing @ Kye. Thumbs Up

You shouldnt have to disconect the battery on a scooter unless it has a alarm. The peugeot immobilisers dont use any battery life. The only thing that does is the flashing LED in the top cowling which goes off after a day anyway.

If you open your seat, in the bottom of the seat bucket there is a flap with a little tab on it. Pull that off and there is your HT lead. It will have NGK printed on the top of it. Pull it off, get a sparkplug remover and take the plug out (Turn it anticlockwise Wink )

If it is white, then you have a problem. Im guessing that it will be all black and oiley if you have been trying to start it.

The oil WILL mix with the fuel because thats what all good 2 stokes do. And the oil lights always comes on when you hit the ignition.

If I was you I would take your spark plug to a bike shop and get a new one. Connect the battery back up and give it another go. If you cant get it started then take it to a garage.

Oh, by the way, When you stary it from cold, You DONT need any revs as it is auto choke.

Good luck...

<|Ben|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

silentriver
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok might have a problem,bought a new spark plug got a spark plug remover,the spark plug looked ok.Replaced it with the new one,and it's still not working.The battery might be flat now as we have been trying to start it.

if i go out and buy a new battery and it's still not working what do you think might be wrong.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not check the battery first? Then charge it if its flat? In the mean time why not try kick starting it?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:30 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

had it been standing for long before you bought it
(I.e. not been running for a few months)

If it hasnt been started for more than say 3 months, then I would consider taking off your fuel hose and draining all the petrol out, then swiling it all through with fresh.

On the other hand, you could put a bit of petrol in a syringe or a small cup and tip a tiny bit into the cylinder (through the spark plug port)

[you will have to remove your spark plug to do so]

Then try to start it, If it still dosent start (or even fire) at that, then its either a spark problem or a compression problem.

A good tester is to see if its sparking.

A good way to check it is too remove the spark plug and put it into the HT cap and earth the component on the spark plug, then kick it over, if it sparks your safe. (ish)

<|Ben|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1