Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermotos - advantages / disadvantages?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Supermotos - advantages / disadvantages? Reply with quote

I'm trying to weigh out if it was be (kinda) sensible to buy one.

I'm thinking of a 250 or similar, it would be road going.

Here's my list of A/D, please feel free to add or comment:

Advantages.

Looks the nuts (IMO).
Massive acceleration.
Wheelies.
Pretty inexpensive in the case of a fall.
High ride height.
I've been riding trailes for years.

Disadvantages

Look silly (some people might think- i personally couldn't give a crap)
Poor top end.
A poor commuter.

Please feel free to comment. What is everyones view on the handling of SMs?

Thanks

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling at slower speeds, I can see as being good Thumbs Up

But.....with those kind of bikes, you're going to NEED (not want) a big "fuck-off" chain. Or three.

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one big 'fuck off' chain. I don't tend to leave my bike anywhere that long anyway apart from my garage Smile

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:56 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Supermotos - advantages / disadvantages? Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

Disadvantages

Look silly (some people might think- i personally couldn't give a crap)

bollocks do they! supermotos pwnz!!!!111 (did my leet thngy work or am I crap at it??)

https://www.cwimedia.co.uk/other/misc/Bike%20Pics/My%20KTM%20450%20EXC/New%20Pictures/rightside.jpg

CoolCoolCool

Poor top end.

Meh

A poor commuter.

Depends what you get, supermoto type bikes are actually good commuters, high ride height, comfy, nippy, thin can squeeze though smaller gaps, see further ahead due to high ride so can plan filtering easier.. easier to u-turn.. but harder to park safely and can't carry much.. if you get a race spec moto then forget it as it'll go pop before long..

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disadv - no good for long distances as the seat isnt the comfiest, and it has poor wind and weather protection.

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:00 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love EXCs, was tempted to get a 200 a year back, not that much bang for buck in the lower cc bikes tho.

After reading one of your posts Yams, i'm curious to know how much it cost to set your WR up as a SM?

A project i've always wanted to do. I think i could handle a WR too.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

Robchester wrote:
Disadv - no good for long distances as the seat isnt the comfiest, and it has poor wind and weather protection.

Advantage.. £30 track days Cool

MattShill
Nitrous Nuisance

According to the Virgin Bikes Insurance site, Supermotos have just been found to be the safest form of bike to ride, so cheaper to insure.

Quote:
On hearing the news an insurance industry insider, who refused to be named, said: ' This comes as no suprise. It's much harder for Gatsos to read your number when your doing a near vertical wheelie and the best anti-theft device ever fitted was a left hand kickstart and 12:1 compression piston.

Laughing

Anyway, the article's here.

'98 Kwak ER-5

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:02 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
I love EXCs, was tempted to get a 200 a year back, not that much bang for buck in the lower cc bikes tho.

After reading one of your posts Yams, i'm curious to know how much it cost to set your WR up as a SM?

A project i've always wanted to do. I think i could handle a WR too.

Dunno, wheels came with the bike , cost £3k all in.. wheels were a bit crap but if you fit talon/excel rims like my KTM has then you're looking at about £1000 for the wheels, maybe more.. if you go new.. that's for wheels/tyres and brake discs.. my ktm has a 310mm disc and 4 pot caliper so that's another £400 or so (brand new) you cna pick second hand sets up for £500 for just the wheels though.

WR's are good bikes.. KTM's just own everything though Twisted Evil Twisted Evil shame they cost so much to run, but it's worth it. (track only now)

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:02 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha brilliant mate.

There's not much of a SM scene up here in East Yorks sadly, although there's a hell of alot of superbikes.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattShill wrote:
According to the Virgin Bikes Insurance site, Supermotos have just been found to be the safest form of bike to ride, so cheaper to insure.

Quote:
On hearing the news an insurance industry insider, who refused to be named, said: ' This comes as no suprise. It's much harder for Gatsos to read your number when your doing a near vertical wheelie and the best anti-theft device ever fitted was a left hand kickstart and 12:1 compression piston.

Laughing

Anyway, the article's here.

Unfortunately they aren't cheaper to insure, depending on what bike you go for.. as altho they are in less crashes they are much easier to nick (race spec bikes have no ignition let alone a key or alarm!)

My KTM cost £700 to insure Sick Sick Sick Sick just becuase it's a high risk bike, the fuckers.. had an R6 insured for £900 odd before that can't believe they still wanted £700 for KTM Rolling Eyes I'm 19 though so insurance is a lot anyway

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:04 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flogging my car so i should have about £5k max to spend. Although want to go somewhere decent on holiday this year so was thinking of £3k all in for a bike.

Still on a restricted license which is a bugger (i'm 19) but i'd be tempted to help those restrictors fall out *ahem*

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
Haha brilliant mate.

There's not much of a SM scene up here in East Yorks sadly, although there's a hell of alot of superbikes.

WHAT shut up.. lot of scene in yorks.. all the best tracks are up there, I went to knaresborough to get my KTM!!!!! I know about 20 supermoto owners in yorkshire Laughing

No idea how far North yorks is from whereever knaresborough sort of area is though Laughing

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised lilredmachine hasn't chipped in yet Wink

I think supermotos look very nice, especially the fat tyres they have. They also sound very meaty, which I like alot. Cracking handling I bet and not too bad acceleration I'm guessing.

Yams, that KTM is a right beauty, hurry up and get the engine back in her! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:19 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
IYams, that KTM is a right beauty, hurry up and get the engine back in her! Thumbs Up

Engine (tuned) with new plasitcs (05) airbox, seat, seat cover, number boards, stickier tyres , new graphics.. will look cool and more importantly, be phast as phuk!

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. Should be a right beast. You forgot about the phat tyres as well Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Sounds good to me. Should be a right beast. You forgot about the phat tyres as well Very Happy

Yer was going for cut slicks but haven't got a genny/tyre warmers yet so going slick rear and inter front then I don't have to have tyre warmers, just gotta be careful with the rear end for a bit to warm it up Laughing

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
I'm surprised lilredmachine hasn't chipped in yet Wink

What? ME? But seriously supermotos whoop ass. Imagine the looks on the superbike owners faces as you blare past them in the twisties. I find mine very comfortable, though being a 4t 125 it is kinda lukewarm. Been looking at parts to bring it up to 20 horse from 15 though, for when I pass my test. Might wanna look at the Gas Gas bikes for 2t fun. Smoto Magazine has every Smoto ever made in the back for a good buying guide.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 01:16 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wots the matinence like on these
i heard u have to change the oil alot
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of supermotos. It would be great for getting around the city on, with good acceleration, easy to flick about. I may start saving for one. Yams..you have a very nice example there. Thumbs Up
I hear they sound loud aswell.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of ours recently got a large capacity KTM, scared the shit out of him. Tops out at around 90MPH but he says it is the only bike he has ridden that will wheely whilst spinning the rear wheel.

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermotos are muchos fun!
I got my first one last month (husky SM610R) and have to say its the best bike i've ever had.
Servicing costs are quite scarey for KTM, Huskys and Husabergs tho.
I have to change the oil after pretty much every run (300miles tops) but it only takes a litre of oil and can be done in 5minutes or even at the road side.
Pure takes the piss out of sports bikes thru the low speed twisties but gets a little flighty over the ton.
Great in the town, if anything a little too noisey Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 173 days between these two posts...

stevekynaston
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:28 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: drz 400 Reply with quote

just got a new suzuki drz 400 sm and i love it selling the zx9r now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:39 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

acceleration should be similar to any bike in the same state of tune and the same capacity. So a 600/litre sports bike will still pwn it on acceleration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:45 - 02 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other disadvantages is that they have a totally crap tank range and they chew through chains and rear tyres at an alarming rate.

They do however let you get away with murder in terms of ham-fisted arsing about. I remember both tyres broke traction then hooked up again on my MZ as I was exiting a roundabout with the hammer down. A sports bike would have highsided me into the armco, the MZ just kind of went 'boing', shook its head slightly and carried on going. I lost count of the number of times I braked to a halt then felt the rear wheel bump back down onto the road, you didn't even know you were doing it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2