Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike braking in the wet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

katana
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:25 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Bike braking in the wet Reply with quote

Well when it's wet how do you brake?

Front 75% rear 25% or still 100% front.

Does your front brake have to be warmed slightly before it does anything? Or needs to clear the water off the disc before any action is felt?

Just wondering as I try to use both brakes and have noticed the front brake needs warming or clearing the disc before any real braking action. Thinking the pads in the front are sintered as the backing is gold coloured. The bike I believe is on the original rotors.

Or is it just cheap pads and replace them with the new EBC ones that I bought in winter.

What do you think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:27 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dry braking should be 75% and 25% respectivly,

wet braking is 50% 50%

and in the snow only use the rear brake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old 75-25 and 50-50 are a good starting point as recommend by your local training school, but most modern bikes will do the majority of their braking on the front.

A little less harsh in the wet and it comes down to your riding style/what you feel comfortable with/experience/bike/brake setup, etc, a number of things really.

madbikerbabe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:58 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking rear brake...wots that then ??!!.. Laughing Laughing

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbikerbabe wrote:
Thinking rear brake...wots that then ??!!.. Laughing Laughing

Auxilliary steering equipment. Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no definitive answer. Just apply the brakes gradually - don't grab handfuls of front or stamp on the rear - everything in moderation. Feel what is right for the condition. Remember, look out for changes of surface as well - even more so in the rain. What works on one piece of road might not work on another Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Bike braking in the wet Reply with quote

katana wrote:
Well when it's wet how do you brake?

Very bloody carefully.

I ride like a granny in rain, I get nervous when its sort of that "sprinkling rain" cos thats when I usually have ended up coming off in the past.

hellkat
Front Brake Freak

Last edited by hellkat on 21:14 - 27 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine Braking is your friend Thumbs Up

I tend to try to use the gears to slow down as much as possible before I touch the brakes, even more so in the wet.

I tend to go for using about 75/25 front/rear most of the time, slowly increasing pressure on the rear as I stop - if I'm coming to a (controlled) halt I'll finish up on the rear - I find it makes the bike far more stable. At about 90% of clear junctions/roundabouts I won't touch the brakes atall.

In the wet I tend to just try and be even more careful and progressive with the brakes, and don't get myself into situations whereby I'm 100% relying on my brakes to get me down to a safe speed.

Craig

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:13 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

With decent tyres and brakes, the quikest way to stop will usually be to 100% front and no rear.

With decent tyres in the wet I would still do this.

To get maximum braking in the wet the rear should be at the point it's about to lift. At this point the rear brake will probably cause the rear wheel to lock up, if it does anything. This makes the bike less stable and more likely to go down.

In the wet, if there's a decent amount of grip on the front, then it should unload the rear a fair bit. As there's reduced traction, it may again cause the rear to lock up.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the wet there is a general lack of grip. Under heavy braking in the dry you can get the rear wheel so light it's off the ground.
Under heavy braking you should avoid using the rear at the same time as the front accept for in the early stages of braking.

In the wet exactly the same principals apply only the grip level is lower. the rear won't go as light, but it has less grip and will lock easier.

So in theory you should brake exactly the same in the wet and dry but try to be smoother and brake softer in the wet.

In the wet i tend to engine brake alot more Penny Coin Penny Coin

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

so long as you don't grab the front and overwhelm the tyre you can brake 100% on the front, it's just a matter of getting the rubber down to the road i.e. getting through the film of water that's there, the key is smooth and progressive, not snatchy

unless of course you are doing 180mph and find yourself with a front brake caliper smashed off the fork leg and running out of track

but that's a different story

katana
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:18 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've noticed that I do is brake gently from the off gently increase till the bike stops or decreasing as necessary.

I think it's because i'm trying to load the front wheel up to stop any possible skidding.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 13:22 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in the dry you can use only your front? I've always shared the braking, thought it made the bike more stable. Confused

MonkReadusuk
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:26 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i shouldn't do this, but i hardly ever use my Front brake, probably due to laziness, but i have just never really used it. Always use engine braking, then slowly apply rear brake. I find that when i try to use the front brake, i loose control of the throttle and don't fell confident doing so. Sad bad driver me Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:29 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
So in the dry you can use only your front? I've always shared the braking, thought it made the bike more stable. Confused

We are talking 'extreme' braking here. Ie trying to stop as quickly as possible. I have never noticed stability issues just using the front (unless you're talking the back going sideways in midspeed (40-80mph) stoppies Smile ).

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiraprise wrote:

and in the snow only use the rear brake.

IN THE SNOW?!?!?!! Shocked
how about just dont ride the thing!!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:38 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
To get maximum braking in the wet the rear should be at the point it's about to lift

With a decent low centre of gravity the rear wheel will not lift, so giving up on the back brake means you loose loads of stopping power. One reason why people with cruisers tend to use the back brake more.

Also for decent stability you want the back of the bike to be being brakes slightly more than the front, otherwise the back is going to be trying to overtake the front.

All the best

Keith

johnsilva
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what good is a rear brake when the rear wheel is 2ft in the air? Twisted Evil

John

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:39 - 28 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsilva wrote:
what good is a rear brake when the rear wheel is 2ft in the air? Twisted Evil

What good is a chassis and back wheel when it is only on the front wheel Laughing .

All the best

Keith

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 29 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

try and brake with engine braking and carefully thought out gear changes in the wet, to minimise using the levers! The less you touch the brakes the better.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 29 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish777 wrote:
try and brake with engine braking and carefully thought out gear changes in the wet, to minimise using the levers! The less you touch the brakes the better.

wise words Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1