Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

how much to convert a drz400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ohdannyboy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:24 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: how much to convert a drz400 Reply with quote

hi peeps,

just wondering if anybody knows roughly how much it would cost to convert a drz400 moto x bike into a supermoto (hubs, rims + tyres etc) im not sure wether to get a crosser one or just fork over the extra dosh for the sm version.

thanks in advance guys Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around £600 second hand

£1000+ new depending on braking set up.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a new set of wheels and stick SM tyres on!

Can u do that?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash t wrote:
Can u do that?

Supermoto tyres require supermoto rims/brakes etc which cost as above.

You can stick more road orientated tyres on but that won't make it a supermoto.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto brakes and Motocross brakes are, um, slightly different.
Check out the competition brakes on these two bikes. Motocross bikes have less grip so have no need for large brakes.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 10 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new every day Thumbs Up

WalkeruK88
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

drz isnt a motox bike

Chr!S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:09 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Yams says, or you can get the standard hubs rebuilt onto SM rims, and leave the brakes alone, that will work out cheeper still.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 11:52 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you just buy the DRZ400-SM?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 12:07 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SM is only £300 more than the S. It's unlikely you could get new wheels, brakes and tyres for that, even with selling on your new found spares. If you want an SM, get the SM. Probably less hassle should you have an accident - insurance companies would love to say "oh, these aren't standard wheels/brakes/tyres, sorry we're not paying up".

Anyway, it looks better in black Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 14:36 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are gonna go down the pre packaged supermoto road

you want to take the turn off that leads to this... Cool

https://www.fullgaz.co.il/archive/sep-04/news/images/fmx1.jpg
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 14:48 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
if you are gonna go down the pre packaged supermoto road

you want to take the turn off that leads to this... Cool

https://www.fullgaz.co.il/archive/sep-04/news/images/fmx1.jpg

Bwahhahaa Mr. Green

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:53 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams wrote:
Bwahhahaa Mr. Green

Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 14:59 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA!!

Have you ridden one? I have

Its way underpowered and will be a big loss for Honda

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at one. It is a SLR650 with new body panels.

But the engine has masses of tuning potential-it can be big bored, fit aggressive cams from the XR600 or XBR500, head skim etc and your looking at 60 horsepower.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 22:32 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the engine has masses of tuning potential-it can be big bored, fit aggressive cams from the XR600 or XBR500, head skim etc and your looking at 60 horsepower.

Which in turn decreases the reliabilty and purpose of the bike, the bike isnt made for huge power increases. The otr price is enough without having to spend a shit load more. Its a damn bad choice and after riding and working on them I can assure you its a waste of time. Looks the bollox but lacks vava voom in several departments. If you want all out buy an XR650 and whack on some SM wheels for the same price as a brand new FMX650

ohdannyboy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:17 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys, i have been looking at the sm version in black and it looks the dogs danglies i love those huge gold forks. im just gonna cough up the cash i think thanks again for all the input.

btw has anybody ridden one or know what theyre like to live with or work on???

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:47 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know too, as I've fallen in love. If I can tweak the suspension enough and maybe drop the forks in the yokes a bit so I don't have to wear platforms.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 200 days between these two posts...

craigk47
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:04 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: drzs are awesome Reply with quote

Hi, im new to the forum but i've got a converted honda crf450 supermoto. It's the dogs bxxxxxxs and will wipe the floor with a drz400 BUT it needs rebuilding every few hours and so is ridiculously expensive. With the DRZs i believe there are 3 different models. The 'S' and the 'SM' are basically the same (one with crosser wheels, brakes and suspension and one with all the trick supermoto gear). The 'E' model is pretty much the same as the 'S' but is more highly tuned with a bigger cam. Around 5 or 6 of my mates have got DRZs and they all love them. I've borrowed an 'SM' a few times too and despite being a fair bit slower than the CRF I think they're an awesome bike and look great. My advice knowing at least one person with each of the different models would definitely be to just get the 'SM' to start with or your gonna have to spend some pennies. The excel rims and talon hubs are about a grand new on their own and the suspension and brakes are also uprated too and I believe they are worth the best part of a grand an a half. The seat heights not too bad either (me being a fellow shortie) because of the wheels being smaller than the crosser ones. If you then want a little bit more power, stick the head and cams off the 'E' model on or get the 440 big bore kit.
The DRZs are an awesome bike and last forever. They pull awesome wheelies (I've witnessed my mate do 96mph on the back wheel) and don't break when you drop them. The same mate who does the awesome wheelies ended up going through someones windscreen on another occasion and the front wheel of the bike ended up under the car. All the bike needed was a set of bars and now its fine again. They're bulletproof!
One thing that is worth changing is the front mudguard. If you get a shorter one or cut it down it stops the weave you can get around 70-80mph.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
Yams wrote:
Bwahhahaa Mr. Green

Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing

Whats funny mate?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:29 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Re: drzs are awesome Reply with quote

craigk47 wrote:
Hi, im new to the forum

We can tell. You're offering advice and replying to a thread that's two and a half years old! Wink

Eddie:
He was suggesting they suck at being a supermoto, I suspect.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rool obviously. And dont have silly service intervals. And they dont suck. Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:20 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Hitler wrote:
They rool obviously. And dont have silly service intervals. And they dont suck. Mr. Green

Don't suck at what? Being commuter bikes Wink.
They do suck at many other things however, for instance; land speed record bikes, mx bikes oh and 'super'motos Razz.

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Eddie Hitler wrote:

Don't suck at what? Being commuter bikes Wink.
They do suck at many other things however, for instance; land speed record bikes, mx bikes oh and 'super'motos Razz.

You laugh but thats exactly what im using it for - a commuter bike. 30 miles a day and NEVER had 1 problem. Power isnt a problem either, and come summer Ill be treating it to new Arrow cans and possible air filter + set up.

I have a mate who used to have a DRZ, and the engine seeped oil at 11,000 miles. My bike is an 05, I bought it was 1,000 miles, now has 14k and I have honestly never had 1 problem with it.

Not a dig at you G, just annoyed that when people say its not a hardcore supermoto, they are correct. Its a brilliant bike for an 18 year old, alot cheaper than other bikes on insurance. Reliability is never an issue either.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:32 - 31 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't disagree they're good commuters.
Power would probably be acceptable for my tastes too, but less than most others would want.

I would disagree they should be considered a 'super'moto, as they're not very 'super', which to me suggests something a bit extreme and the like.

The DR400 should be pretty reliable if you treat it right too - they are still pretty underpowered and not that light either in comparison to many others out there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2