Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigk47
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:28 - 01 Jan 2008    Post subject: :/ Reply with quote

Lol, two and a half year old post.
Noticed about 30 seconds after I clicked the submit button Embarassed
Oh well, seems to have sparked some fresh banter at least. Think I'll go and find something a bit more up to date to comment on now though.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:45 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: :/ Reply with quote

craigk47 wrote:
Lol, two and a half year old post.
Noticed about 30 seconds after I clicked the submit button Embarassed
Oh well, seems to have sparked some fresh banter at least. Think I'll go and find something a bit more up to date to comment on now though.....

Its just the usual crap stateing it aint a "proper sm" Clearly is.

What they mean to say is, it aint as focused as other SuperMotos on the market. Netherless, that doesnt make it less of a supermoto than anything else.

The whole point of an sm is for handling qualities. If you want flat out power then buy a sportsbike.

Drz400 is easyily capeable of power wheelies etc in 3rd. You just need to gear it right. Ive found 14/44 to be the best set up for the ridieng and roads i do.

Definition of SM

Prior to the 1990s, supermoto bikes, including the precursor motorcycles used in Superbikers, were converted open-class two-stroke motocross or
enduro bikes desired for their lightweight and jumping abilities. The motorcycles currently used for Supermoto racing are predominantly single-cylinder 4 stroke powered dirtbikes with 17" or 16.5" wheels. The 17" rims allow the use of up to 5.5" wide superbike road racing slicks. Slick tires are often hand grooved on the rear tire to facilitate slightly better acceleration on the dirt stretches of a supermoto course. Suspension is lowered and slightly stiffened in comparison with a stock dirt bike, and braking power is improved with oversize front brake rotors and calipers. Despite the lack of trees on supermoto courses, 'bark busters' (hand guards) are frequently added to supermoto bikes due the extreme cornering angles achieved by riders. Hand guards also greatly improve survivability of the brake & clutch levers during a fall making supermoto bikes highly crash resistant and often able to quickly re-enter the fray during a race following a crash.

In 1991 Italian manufacturer Gilera released the 'Nordwest' model, the first factory produced supermoto. Other European manufactures quickly followed suit, among them KTM, Husqvarna, Husaberg AB and CCM Motorcycles; all manufacturers whose emphasis were off-road models at the time. Models were developed for both track and road use. It took another 10 years, until the mid 2000s for Japanese manufacturers, such as Yamaha (2004), Honda (2005) and Suzuki (2005) to start introducing supermoto models in the European market. Most of the supermoto bikes sold to the public are more domesticated models for road use rather than outright racing, for example the Suzuki DRZ400SM. Slower and heavier but rock solid dual-purpose motorcycles such as the Kawasaki KLR650 are good examples of this. In the spring of 2006, Italian bike manufacturer Ducati announced their entry in the class with the "Hypermotard" machine which has more in common with streetfighter-type motorcycles than realistically being considered a true supermoto bike capable of surviving jumps and crashes. KTM currently has available a 950 "V" twin that could be described as the ultimate road going Hypermoto, and a brand new (and well appreciated) the single cylinder KTM690SM. Aprilia also has two new (450 and 550) SXV v-twin track oriented supermotos for sale.

Due to the popularity, versatility, excitement and durability of these motorcycles, some owners modify them for street use. In order to do this, headlights, taillights, horn, mirrors and street-legal tires among other occasional modifications are needed. Some state motor vehicle departments take a dim view of turning off-road bikes into street legal bikes. In Europe most Supermotos are sold street legal from the factory and later tuned for race use. Supermoto type bikes make excellent city-goers as their upright seating position provides great visibility in traffic. Their narrow frames and light weight also make them incredibly maneuverable, as well as easier to ride in twisty or less than ideal road conditions that make most sportbikes have to slow down.

craigk47
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:10 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play pal yeah. I've got what could be considered a more focused SM in the form of a daytime MOT CRF450. They definitely have their downsides when you want them as a road bike though. I'm thinking of getting a DRZ ASWELL for all the time that the CRFs off the road during rebuilds and the dark winter Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:23 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i would do is use the DRZ through out the week. Use the CRF on weekends.

Hopefully ill take delivery of a new SXV VDB so i can race in the SuperMoto Championship Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:12 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: :/ Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:

Usual crap claiming some heavy, slow-arse bike is a supermoto.

The FMX650 is not far off the weight of an SV650. Take the naked SV650 and jack the rear up a bit to make it faster handling - is it a supermoto now? I wouldn't say so, but it'd seem to tick all the boxes.
Can't say it has to start as a dirt-bike, as the 'factory' ones don't. But they do have dirty-style plastics, so what if we put some dirt bike plastics on it? Does that make it a supermoto?

To me the definition of supermoto is fairly tight and doesn't encompass 80% of available production bikes, which many people's definitions do seem to. It should be a pretty 'extreme' bike.
I don't have a massive problem with describing their bike as a 'supermoto'; it's claiming that a very heavy trail-styled bike with road wheels is a 'good' supermoto.

For me the weight (or lack of) is more important than power; though I'd still expect a reasonably tuned engine. My DRZ-powered CCM I'd still consider more of a very-light commuter than a true supermoto, though I have described it as the latter for ease-of-understanding.

Any reasonable (ie not a cruiser with crap tyres) bike can power wheelie in third with the right gearing.

Were it me starting out SM racing, I'd go for an older comp enduro or mx based bike unless I had a lot of money Smile (probably a 2 stroke, but I accept most wouldn't)- I've talked to enough people with the Aprilia to know they're expensive to maintain and may not be so great to 'learn' on, though are pretty capable on the tarmac at least as they're getting closer to road-racing bikes.

Kiss_My_Rs
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying get a VDB as a learner. Im more than competant.

£14000 bike as a learner... just lol

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiss_My_Rs wrote:

£14000 bike as a learner... just lol

Oops, didn't read the VDB bit, still you do see a worrying amount of first-timers on very expensive kits in most motorsport.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2