Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Donington Park GP; Trackday Report (21st June)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Donington Park GP; Trackday Report (21st June) Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I did a trackday at Donington Park on the full GP circuit. I've done the National twice so it was nice to finally get a crack at the rest of the track too.

The alarm went off at 4:50am, which was a lovely start to the day Shocked Four hours sleep didn't seem the best preparation... For the first time in the history of my trackdays (and for anything else come to think of it) Jeanette actually got out of bed before me and with no nagging! Anyway, got ready and left at about 5:30am; bike safely secured to the trailer. Arrived at the circuit at around 7:15am after a minor detour for a Sausage and Egg McMuffin.

Then we met up with Simon (a bloke I know through work) who'd ridden his Blade up from Reading in less than an hour and a half. Just don't tell the police... Also met "bath of kylies" briefly a couple of times, although I didn't know which garage he was in.

Anyway the day started off pretty cool and cloudy, but began to warm up. The first session was wierd trying to get the hang on the additional corners; it's not just like adding a couple of corners into a track because going from National to GP messes up your braking point coming down the back straigh (Starkeys). I saw a couple of people outbrake themselves there and run straight on. Although the Melbourne hairpin is tight and not the favourite amongst racers you cannot help but deck the bike out there Very Happy . The left hander (Goddard's) coming back onto the start/finish straight is strange; it seems to drop twice as you go round it and it's very wide. This meant that there are about ten different lines going through it. Took me 'till lunchtime to get any kind of rythym through there. Not sure if the GP circuit's worth the extra money it costs (over the National), but you have to do it at least once I would say.

Some time around mid-morning Kickstart arrived with the obligatory expensive camera equipment and several terrabytes of compact flash cards! I think Jeanette was just grateful for a lift to the far side of the track for pictures, since our car was boxed in!

The weather kept getting warmer. The reports had forecast 23 degrees C, and it was certainly warm enough to have us sweating buckets under our leathers.

No incidents to report, which is a good thing, aside from Simon running hot into McCleans and going for a trip through the travel. No damage done, which is the main thing, although I did get some of it on film Twisted Evil

All in all, a very good day. We covered about 130 miles on the track, had no incidents and no red flags. The biggest challenge was not falling asleep on the drive home!

The photographer was from somewhere called Trackphoto (although all their paperwork just had Focused Events written on them) and he was very good. I know Keith was talking to him for a while and said he was a nice bloke, but his pictures were excellent. He got 22 of me in total and I've posted a couple below.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: Donington Park GP; Trackday Report (21st June) Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Four hours sleep didn't seem the best preparation...

Bet Jeanette was happy! Wink

Pics look good, didnt know so much lean was needed for KD.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: Donington Park GP; Trackday Report (21st June) Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
Pics look good, didnt know so much lean was needed for KD.

Everyone has a slightly different style to getting their knee down; some people seem to be able to keep the bike upright and hang off like a monkey whereas some people deck the whole thing out.

Mine's not much anyway, the pegs aren't down! Check out the dude in this picture; he was fast too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 01:39 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, what happened to the srad though? Not enough power? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
Nice one, what happened to the srad though? Not enough power? Razz

It metamorphosied into my XLR enduro bike! The 750 is so much of a better bike than the SRAD it's unreal Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:54 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have posted a few pics in outings and excursions, but here they are again:-

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/Silver_1.jpg

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/Silver_2.jpg

https://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/Benelli_1.jpg

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1