Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First "big" bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:01 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: First "big" bike. Reply with quote

Heya,

I'm 19 years old, Passed my test on monday, restricted to 33bph and am looking for a new "bigger" bike.

I was just wondering what type of bikes people have moved up to who are im a similar situation to me and how they managed to get along with the insurance and what bikes they got etc.

I've been looking at the bandit cause it looks and sounds like a nice bike to move up to but was a little concerned about the £1,900 insurance premium, and whether anybody else has actually got one with a half decent insurance (i dont mind paying up to around £600)

Cheers,
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:14 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an old '78 400/4 for most of my resticted time, before moving to a Bandit 400 VVT for the final 9 or so months.

The Bandit wasn't a bad bike, was reasonably quick and the VVT made it quite fun, good for around 110mph (of course I never tested this, officer, just a prediction Very Happy ). Spent £1300 for a 94 bike and I seem to remember insurance being around the £400 (was 19 when I got it, 2 years no claims).

Also, being unfaired, I wasn't too worried about crashing it, as there wasn't too much (any) bodywork to replace in the event of a spill. Which was lucky, as the repair bill when someone knocked me off it one winter on the way to Uni wasn't too steep (for the responsible driver who pulled out on me).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test in April and moved up to a Kawasaki KLR600 trail bike and restricted it to 33bhp. I get along fine with it as it has a comfortable ride position, plenty of poke (compared to my old DT125) and I generally just prefer trail bikes anyway.

My insurance premuim is £520 TPF+T in a good postcode. I probably could have got it down some more but I was desperate to get out on it after my test!

HTH Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 23:06 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im selling my Kawasaki ER-5 it comes complete with a 33hp kit and certificate.

And my insurance at 19 having just passed my test was a whopping £252 tpft with legal cover.

Click the link In my sig for a looky at the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:07 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post. Embarassed Wink
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Last edited by JonB on 23:21 - 22 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:18 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon if your insurance is that much, you should look at getting Dodsi's ER5, much good bikes for a learner.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:33 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i was thinking Jon, maybe for the 12. Twisted Evil

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:36 - 22 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1900 on a Bandit 6 is absolutely stupid.

Was the insurance company called 'Expensive and son' or something?

I'd expect under £600 from pretty much anyone as a TPFT quote.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:34 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a 125 to a cbr 600, the insurance was alot hence tpo, but it depends on what your going to do with the bike as if your going to keep it restricted there's no point in paying the extra insurance on a performance bike as it would have the same power as a smaller, cheaper and less powerful bike, although if your going to take them out, which i did as you'll probably get bored very quickly why not get a sv650s, bandit 6 excellent bikes and a low insurance group, but buy a copy of mcn first and call all the insurance companys first, you'll be surprised how much the prices can differ between company's

black gpz500s
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:54 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance companies that give ridiculously high quotes don't want your business - they quote those amounts to put you off. In the event of someboby actually accepting one of those quotes, the company is quids in, because they're unlikely to ever have to pay out anything over that amount.

To those who run it, insurance is a form of gambling.

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:57 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of nice learner bikes... mostly ones they use for training for the DAS.

Kawasaki ER-5
GPZ 500
Suzuki GS500 (and the GX500F looks cool)

They all seem "cheaper" insurance, but i was trying out with Bennets who im with at the minute... to be honnest I wanna get away from bennetts they've kicked me in the teeth twice already and made me fork out £200 to switch bikes or else I lose my NCB, but... they wont accept my NCB for another bike... is that even legal?

Anyone got any of the above 3 bikes or similar (learner bikes) and what insurance quote and with who (preferrably somebody around my age).

Also noticed that with bennets, my premium may go up with the new license... is that because without the 'L' plates im more of a risk? (also im guessing the pillion increses the premium?)

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by lightfoot256 on 14:06 - 23 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:03 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi, which insurer did you go with?

I'm really starting to like the ER-5, looks a lot like the bandit.

I've been riding a Hyosung Comet GT125 (looks like a 600), and I've outgrown its potential... unfortunately I've got it on finance, so I'll havta see if a garage will do the trade...

I live quite close to an RPM, its actually where i got my hyosung... I'll take a peek up and see if they have any in stock or willing to order and switch over my finance Very Happy

Chris

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:11 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big hits i seem to be getting is the fact that I have zero years experience with a _full_ license, theres no way on these forms to say that i've been riding around for nearly 2 years... they dont seem to care...

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried Motorcycle Direct (www.motorcycledirect.co.uk) and it wont lemme insure anything above 250cc without atleat 2 years with my full license. Sad

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 14:22 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ring em up. Smile

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My situation is 19 1 years no claims, no experiance on bigger bikes.

I am with motorcycle direct. Ring them.

Play the insurance companies against each other!

If you want to check my ER-5 out My msn address is in my profile, or e-mail me.

Its a good bike and a sensible step up. comes with FI international restriction and certificate which cost me shy of £150.

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:19 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm... tried another company they offered me the insurance for 1800-1900 depending on how i shufled around the figures a bit... rediculous!

Anyways, run Motorcycles Direct up and got a quote for £441, which is really good imo.... its jut over what im paying now (about £420) and its 4 times bigger :-p. The online quote system sucks...

Run the garage that i bought my 125 from (its only about 3 months old from new) and they'd offer to switch over the bike finance to the ER-5, which is fantastic... they told me they were gonna have a scout round for one (preferably around a 2000 model as im not looking for brand new) and ring me in a couple days! fantastic!

Dodsi, had a look at ure bike... looks really nice, im really starting to fall in love with it, looks way better than what i have now! Where abouts you at? Wouldn't mind having a look around em, see what the sound like etc... I wont be able to buy it from ya as im tied into this finance crap (doh) and have to somehow shift mine on but it'd be cool to have a look.

I'm based near sheffield, south yorkshire...

Chris

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:49 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im In north yorkshire, Sheffield is not that far from me, a mere blast down the A1.

As far as finance goes I had this problem with my first bike.

I was tied into it, but it works out MUCH cheaper to settle the finance on your current bike with a loan (auto trader finance section) and buy another bike with the loan money left over.

I owed just short of £1500 on My first bike from finance (peugeot speedshite 2)

I got a £2500 loan from the cheapest at the time (virgin loans) and paid off the finance (saving a shed load of interest) I then had £1000 to buy a 125cc bike, which I bought a yamaha SR 125 with.

The £2500 loan over 2 years works as this...

24 payments of £111.15

Total repayable £2667.73

Interest on £2500 over 2 years is just £167.73

and I am able to do with the bikes I have what I wish as its just a personal loan.

The finance company wont want you to leave them but it works out better you do.

Plus if you want an ER-5 2000 onwards model the dealers will want nearly £2000 for one!

But if you wish to take a look at mine Then Im sure we can sort something up!

BigChris
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:00 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could always go for a CBR600, £400 TPFT as a first bike (though I am 28!)

Laughing

Chris, we should hook up sometime, im based by the Tescos towards Hillsboro'.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
£1900 on a Bandit 6 is absolutely stupid.

Was the insurance company called 'Expensive and son' or something?

I'd expect under £600 from pretty much anyone as a TPFT quote.

Gaz

I just bought my ZXR400 and my insurance TPFT was £676 with 0 years NCB and a theft claim, so god knows why they're quoting that mate Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1