Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil filter genius

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Oil filter genius Reply with quote

I ordered a new K&N Oil Filter the other day. It arrived, and I was immediately struck by two thoughts.

https://www.knfilters.com/images/PowerSports/psoilgroup.jpg

As you can see from the various pics, they have a 1/2" ratchet attachment on the top to make it easier to screw on/off.

Thought 1) That's great. No more burning my fingers trying to attach the crap chain-strap-wrench that's about 100 years old. Tremendous Thumbs Up

Thought 2) I've bought oil filters for cars and bikes for the last 8 years. Why hadn't this been done before? Seems like such an obvious thing to do, yet I'd never thought of it. Seemingly neither had anyone else..... Shocked

No reason for posting this, and didn't really know which section to do it in. Just wanted to share. If these things have actually been on oil filters for years and I've just been blissfully unaware, I apologise.....

VFR400UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:34 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£50 says i can rip one open whilst attempting to tighten it with minimal effort!

round the coreners off on it and your a bit stuffed! Laughing

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:44 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.four-h.purdue.edu/tractor/pictures/33b.jpg

+

https://www.jenkinsslate.com/images/products/Estwing-nylon-Hammer.gif

= Best filter wrench there is Thumbs Up

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:52 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
= Best filter wrench there is Thumbs Up

to take it off! LOL
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those hind of filters are used in america or canada, they are mentioned in my american workshop manual for my bike!

As far as the removal method goes, yeah I think ill use that one. I cant knacker any threads on the bike or anything can I?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:10 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should usually only do an oil filter up finger tight I believe.

So they may not like having them there, as it may encourage people to do them up tighter.

I've had some in the past like that, recently haven't had a problem as I've been doing them regularly on the r6, so they haven't had a chance to get stuck on.

You can get a universal filter wrench for under £10 that should do the job on any filter.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:15 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Oil filter genius Reply with quote

RobB wrote:
If these things have actually been on oil filters for years and I've just been blissfully unaware, I apologise.....

Apology accepted...

RobB
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:50 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehehe.

Been told that filters just need to be hand-tight to go back on, and it'll settle in itself. Haynes manual says torque of 7 lb/ft, which is practically nothing.

The screwdriver 'n' hammer method is far more satisfying to remove it with, but also a little messier.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 258 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1