Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crashed (updated with photographer's pics!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Crashed (updated with photographer's pics!) Reply with quote

It was bound to happen, eh? My 10th trackday today at Rockingham and I've binned it, big time. Coming into a right hand, decked over, opened the throttle.... BANG... highside.

If you're here for the gory video, then here you go:
https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/crash.mpg (17mb)

I can't remember anything about what happened. In fact, I can't remember much of the weekend. Someone bought my ZX6R yesterday (apparently! Jeanette tells me so, and I have a bankers draft Confused ) and I can't remember a thing about it! Can't remember getting up this morning, or getting to the track. I don't remember anything after the crash, except being in hospital. Big thumbs up to Arai, Dainese and Alpinestars - the kit stopped me being a lot worse off I'm sure. As it is, I have some amnesia and I ache but nothing more than that.

I'll post some pics of the bike and my kit when I get my shit together. My helmet's written off, but not as badly as you might expect. The leathers have frayed but did their job well. One of the toesliders on my boots is loose, but otherwise their fine. The bike (from what I can remember, which isn't a lot) has scratches on the fairing, a worn engine casing, snapped gear change, snapped brake lever and various other scuffs and marks. The mount for the crash bungs has bent so the left hand bung is sitting at a funny angle (and is worn down). R&G Swingarm protector worked a treat and took a kicking!

I got away fairly lightly. Aside from the memory loss, which it seems is not just confined to today, my back and my ankle hurt. I've got a few abrasions on my shoulder but physically that's it.

I'll post up some pictures in a bit.

Last edited by Silver on 20:59 - 25 Jul 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

impaler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck, but glad to hear you got away with it relatively well Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh nasty. Glad you're OK. I'm downloading the vid now. Thumbs Up

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that, really sucks. Glad your alright though thats the main thing. Thumbs Up

Which bike was it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 22:19 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember you still owe me that £50 for you know what

bad luck about the trackday :S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost mine the other day mate, although probably not as specatacularly as yourself, ive just got some mild stiffness. Its no consolation for mashing your machine but at least your reasonably alright and youve got a good tale to tell. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Bad luck dude, but we live and learn - get some cold beers and start the recovery process! Wink

EDIT: Just seen the video, thats was a bit brutal! You look a right mess, cant believe that the bike stopped facing you so you could see you in the video! Shocked

Last edited by Villers on 22:24 - 17 Jul 2005; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:23 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch.You OK to get the bike home?

Downloading the video now.

All the best

Keith

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch, watched it now. Bet that hurt, but at least you cannot remember that.

All the best

Keith

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the bike didn't go somersaulting down the track!
Glad nothing is broken and hope you have a speedy recovery. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Which bike was it?

GSXR750 Crying or Very sad

I daren't go and look at it in case I find more damage.

wave2k wrote:
remember you still owe me that £50 for you know what

Thought I could rely on you for sympathy!

Kickstart wrote:
Ouch.You OK to get the bike home?

Yep, it's home now. Took it up there on the trailer, so it just needed Jeanette to drive back.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 22:42 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, impressive vid, can't start to imagine what the hell you were thinking when you woke up, just looking around and seeing tarmac.
Hope you recover soon mate and get straight back on the track and enjoy yourself again. Thumbs Up

Dom. Mr. Green

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:50 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Yep, it's home now. Took it up there on the trailer, so it just needed Jeanette to drive back.

You do remember that you promised to buy her another bike now the ZX is sold?

Wink

All the best

Keith

geordiecbrblo...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:59 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Bet that hurt, but at least you cannot remember that.

Sounds like your memory went into self preservation mode and blanked the bad bits - was that lucky or unlucky to capture it on video Confused Wink

Just glad your ok mate Very Happy

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch you where out cold for quite some time there.
Least your okay though mate Thumbs Up

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:25 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit sorry to hear about that silver, if I ever crashed I'd be glad to get it on vid, or so I always thought.

At least you haven't broken anything!

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Glad you're okay Silver Thumbs Up

I suppose it's good that the bike appeared to slide rather than boucning or flipping over ....

kingsknight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck me that was mad. Your freaking lucky your wasn't more hurt

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 23:40 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit mate! hope all is well in the silver household. hope your memory comes back, at least you firmed the deal up on the ZX before the crash!
take it easy and hope the head isn't to bad in the morning
did all the R&G stuff you had on the bike help at all
Take it easy
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear about that mate, but I guess it's better to happen on the track than on the road.

Glad your kit worked as well. I've been really tempted to fit a camera to my bike as a bit of black box as to what happened.

Really sorry to hear about, really sucks, always to the nice guys too.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 17 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Attached are a few pictures of my kit, I'll get some of the bike tomorrow (and then probably start crying!).

One thing I have just noticed that has amazed me; Alpinestars gloves - not a scratch! Shocked Their boots are fine too (aside from a wonky toeslider). Very impressed.

White Noise wrote:
did all the R&G stuff you had on the bike help at all

The crash bungs were not R&G (some other mystery make that were on there when I got it) but the R&G swingarm protectors saved the swingarm, without a doubt. For that I am very grateful.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:03 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear the protection you had on your person and on the bike did there job! Thumbs Up
me thinks a nice letter to R&G is in order to try and blag some freee stuff.
at least now you have some leathers that you can use solely for track use! Laughing
or sell on ebay advertised with genuine track markings! Laughing
WN

Edit: just seen the vid, hate that sound of bike scrapping across tarmac! especially liked the fact the bike span round to see a black object, i was thinking what the feck is that, until it started moving Rolling Eyes
glad to see you up and fairly alert quite quickly
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:13 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your ok mate. Spookey how the camera ended up pointing right at you

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear/see that! Shocked .. you looked as if you seen the bike and thought f**k it i ain't moving! Laughing

Get well soon mate, not put you off biking i hope? at least it happened at a track with nothing to hit other than tarmac Thumbs Up

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be expecting you to remember anything of the weekend that you've forgotten from the amnesia. Experience tells me otherwise. Neutral

Good to see the kit all held up well and that you've no broken bits. Thumbs Up Hopefully as the bike didn't cartwheel and disintegrate, the crash bungs will have taken most of the damage.

I'd almost expect to see that video find it's way onto one of these crash compilation things you see floating about before too long. Very nicely done in terms of filming. Laughing

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 02:15 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral That looked painful, glad you're ok though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3