Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Prepping your bike for a trackday?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 06:08 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Prepping your bike for a trackday? Reply with quote

Hi

I had my first experience of a trackday last wednesday got a go on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit for £40 (bloody good fun, especially paddock hill). Very Happy

I just went up with my bike in the same state as on the road, however I noticed a lot of people playing in the paddocks, and was just wondering if any of you track day veterans had any guides/suggestions for us newbies of what to do to your bike before heading out on the track (e.g. tyre pressures, plates, lights etc..).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: Prepping your bike for a trackday? Reply with quote

Tyre pressures should be 35/35 when hot.
This usually equates to around 31/32 front and 30/31 rear when cold.

Only need to tape up your plate if you want to make a fradulent claim on insurance if you crash really. Though, some people do anyway because I've heard of insurance companies making trouble if you've been seen at a trackday then make a real claim after crashing etc.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:57 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your mirrors off or tape them up.

If you've got a glass headlight, tape it up. If it's plastic, tape it up anyway, it looks cool. Smile

Just generally check everything's okay - chain's in good nick, nothing's going to fall off, that sort of stuff.

If you're funny about having your numberplate shown in photos, tape it or take it off, it's faster than photoshopping the numbers out.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I rode my GPZ on track with everything needed for the road taken off/taped up.

Basically took them off incase I binned it and didn't want the expense of replacing them.

The GPZ with no front indicators, number plate, mirrors and all lights taped up:
https://66.232.152.169/~damonspe/images/donington/donington24.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:01 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that taping up lights is to stop glass lights cracking.

Most modern lights are made from a similar material to the fairings.

Disconnecting your brake light can be useful to stop others trying to outbrake you based on this.

Last edited by G on 12:08 - 14 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I'd recommend taping up your speedo or disconnecting it if you anything like me and you look down to see what speed you doing and then forget theres a bend at the end of the straight! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig- wrote:
The GPZ with no front indicators, number plate, mirrors and all lights taped up

Forget about that, who's that God on the GSXR behind you in the picture? Wink

G wrote:
Disconnecting your brake light can be useful to stop others trying to outbrake you based on this.

That's alright if you're not worried about some numpty crashing into the back of you because he was waiting for you to brake! Laughing

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 21:23 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

Forget about that, who's that God on the GSXR behind you in the picture? Wink

he got overtaken on the straight, he was well crap and had silver hair Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
he got overtaken on the straight, he was well crap and had silver hair Laughing

Looks like he's coming round to lap the back markers to me...

I'd never listen to anyone who rides a sports bike with all the panels missing! Razz

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 14 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

Looks like he's coming round to lap the back markers to me...

I was ahead of you at that point. Razz

Granted you over took me shortly after that pic.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 15:53 - 15 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is take the top box off...

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1