Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My track day cherry - Silverstone

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 23:52 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: My track day cherry - Silverstone Reply with quote

Well with a full 6 months of riding under my belt and general encouragement from Davo, I did my first track day today! With Davo and my mate Marcus, oh what a day!
Arrived there and went to the briefing we were told that due to the fast nature of Silverstone if you do jump off your bike you are probably unlikely to see it again in one piece! So got a bit worried there, only to be compounded sat on my bike for the sighting laps, waiting for what seemed like an age for it to start, got round them fine and back in. now for the bit that I was very worried about! The first session!
For this did a lap of the track to warm the tire’s up in doing so I somehow ended up pushing it fairly hard, got to the nice start finish straight, gave it the big beans until I came to the right hander (copse) and had to brake and turn, for some reason these things I knew I had to do, I semi tried to do and gave up! Went straight onto the run off area at about 80-90 and came to semi stop, luckily still upright and rejoined the track. I took things very slowly after that and go the first session over with. But came in with a big grin on my face!
The second session came around and we where back out, I was feeling good and I discovered a new over taking technique, actually going round the outside of people on corners! It’s a great feeling going around the outside of RSV mille with my knee down! Was feeling good till someone 1 bike in front of me lowsided at 60 ish, that sobered me up a bit! plus seeing a 4 weeks old 750 gixxer that had flipped and had a nice dent in the frame! insurance write off me thinks! Thumbs Down
after that all seemed fine on the 3 rd session I felt like I was hooning about, leaving my mate on a R1 behind! i was completely amazed by the amount of people i was overtaking on the outside of corners! Twisted Evil
On the final session of the day I decided to get a instructor and go round with him. It was great as we were making dam good progress and having a laugh as well with alternate follow my leader going on! We came in at the end of the session and said it was fun with a smile on his face!
All in all, learned a hell of a lot, including that I am going to probably need a new rear tyre by the end of the year, that knee sliders are too dam expensive and that riding bikes like this is the way forward! also just ridden my bike home from davo's and it feels so easy to control whereas before today i found it hard to control. Thumbs Up
Good day and my thighs hurt like hell from jumping all over the bike, and only a small bit of damage caused to the bike due to the bike trailer
If you are thinking about doing a track day, do it! Just make sure its one I am going to as then you won’t be the slowest on the track! Wink
WN

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=21245
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 30 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addictive eh? Wink

Glad you enjoyed it!

I can't believe how much my riding has improved since I started doing trackdays. It's not all about hooning around, you do actually learn more about riding a bike and what it can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, another convert Wink - glad you enjoyed it.

I tend to hold a knee slider just above the ground, at the point I know that it will touch if I've leaned further than I have before.

Current set (quite chunky to start with and hard wearing) have lasted me over a year on track and occasionaly as a roundabout fairy etc Smile.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Current set (quite chunky to start with and hard wearing) have lasted me over a year on track and occasionaly as a roundabout fairy etc Smile.

What have you got? I bought some Wiz "puck" sliders and they're made of bloody granite! Done 6 trackdays on them and the right one's only about half worn (although they're bloody big to begin with)!

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:12 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really did enjoy it! hopefully next one just round the corner! Very Happy

G wrote:
I tend to hold a knee slider just above the ground, at the point

i found that i was happier with the slider on the deck through the whole corner as i was able to pull the bike onto it or off it if needs be to adjust the tightness of the corner, if you see what i mean! think it was just the added stablity, with experence i may find it easier to hold it in a way you discribe, though at the moment my main problem is when i get set up for a corner, i don't hang off enough and instead of the knee touching first, the pegs scrap untill i rearrange my body position to get it sorted, not the best thing to do mid corner! Rolling Eyes
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:16 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal method is to hang off before you start braking - so this may be a way down the straight.

This leaves the bike as stable as possible, turn in as fast as possible (something I definitely need to work on Confused).

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:41 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: My track day cherry - Silverstone Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
seeing a 4 weeks old 750 gixxer that had flipped and had a nice dent in the frame! insurance write off me thinks! Thumbs Down

Well there's the thing. His insurance won't have covered him for track days, so chances are they'll tell him to sod off and he'll likely have to get a new frame out of his own pocket... Sad

My first (and only) track day was Silverstone too! Which circuit did you do? I did the GP and it was fun! Absolutely hate that chicane at the end though, horrible!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:03 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might 'have an accident' in a few weeks, if he's fully comp.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:46 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: My track day cherry - Silverstone Reply with quote

cbrbiker wrote:
Which circuit did you do?

did the GP too, so many nice sweeping right handers that i was going around nearly everyone on! Cool me smug, never
yeah the last couple of bends where an arse just for the fact that people where taking it real slow and causing a bottle neck!

as for the bike think that it was TPFT Sick poor bastard!
WN

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:00 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Re: My track day cherry - Silverstone Reply with quote

Silverstone is pretty good for overtaking - longer corners and a lot wider than most tracks in the UK.

Don't expect it to be quite so easy at a narrower track Smile.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good day Thumbs Up
I want to do a track day on my zxr400, but ill have to get a set of leathers, crash mushrooms first Thumbs Up
Will probably have to wait untill next year know as im off to uni in 3 weeks.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 23:09 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Thumbs Up

Glad you had a good day and didn't bin it Wink

So do Davo and Marcus owe you ££ seeing as they lost their bet?

Gonna do a track day possibly at the end of September. Bit skint at the moment from having two weeks off work. But as soon as I get the money together for crash bungs and the trackday I'm off.

Would like to do Donington, but seeing as Brands is close by that will probably be the track I go for.

Nice pic BTW

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 23:14 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a bloody good day, although have to say did prefer Brands Hatch (did the Indy Circuit), just seemed more technical and involving.

Eventually managed to pursuade myself to get out of the seat and hang completley off the bike for cornering, which helped me go a lot quicker through the corners.

Started to find I prefer starting towards the back of the group and chasing people in front of me, although did find my bike slightly underpowered for Silverstone and went overtaking on the corners but just unable to keep up with people down the straights.

Did have one amusing moment, where I went to go around another R6 (same model) got on to the straight and we both pinned it, but couldn't get away from each other. Eventually I managed to get ahead of him by out braking him into the corner. Apart from that incident free, although nearly found myself in a gravel trap when my hand slipped off the front brake going into a tight left hander.

Last session, I was impressed that I managed to keep up with a guy on an R1 (except on the straights)

Got any suggestions for next track? Was thinking of Cadwell Park or Donnington.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands Indy is very technical - I've found it frustrating as I find it a lot harder to get near 'right'.

I really like Cadwell, best track I've done and many say the best in the UK. Definitely 'involving' and the relatively small track makes it feel faster, though it's not.

I've kept up with quite a few litre bikes at Snetterton - just get on the power earlier coming out of corners - downgearing also help I suspect, as there's going to be less of a difference in acceleration.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
Got any suggestions for next track? Was thinking of Cadwell Park or Donnington.

Donington is my favourite track - awesome sweeping bends; much more involving than Silverstone which I find too wide to be really exciting. Cadwell's good but a completely different type of track. My advice? Do both Thumbs Up Wink

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:19 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
My advice? Do both Thumbs Up Wink

my advice, get silver to pay for them! like he is going to do for me! Laughing Praying
WN

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:24 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
my advice, get silver to pay for them! like he is going to do for me! Laughing Praying

Yeah right, having hard enough time satisfying my own habit. I'll be robbing old ladies and stealing car stereos soon!

This afternoon I booked a last minute trackday at Mallory for tomorrow Mr. Green

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:26 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
This afternoon I booked a last minute trackday at Mallory for tomorrow Mr. Green

spot the addict! Laughing
thought that you couldn't take anymore time off work! Twisted Evil
WN

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
thought that you couldn't take anymore time off work! Twisted Evil

I couldn't, but I blagged it... I'd have had no chance coming to Silverstone - right on month end! Tut Tut

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:35 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
right on month end! Tut Tut

got to reach those targets says the man! Confused
WN

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
got to reach those targets says the man! Confused

Apparently Shifty . Hasn't stopped me surfing the net all week though. Unfortunately this site gets blocked because of the swearing... otherwise I'd have a million posts on here! Twisted Evil

Yorkshire Puddin'
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, new here so forgive this but you have 6 months riding under your belt and had trouble with the zx(nice choice) before the track (not now obviously) and you were going rounds R1'S.

WTF!!! your either very talented or nuts

or have i totally mis-read this post Embarassed

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 18:24 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Erm, new here so forgive this but you have 6 months riding under your belt and had trouble with the zx(nice choice) before the track (not now obviously) and you were going rounds R1'S.

You've got to remember that we were in the novices group and people were still trying to push them selves outside of their comfort zone (get out of the road riding frame of mind).

I think myself, White Noise, and his friend seemed to be happier to push our bikes a lot harder than others (otherwise that ZX10R if he was pushing it would have left me standing). I believe Wave found a similar thing at Brands Hatch, as he seemed to be doing plenty of overtaking on his VFR400.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorkshire Puddin' wrote:
you were going rounds R1'S.

Pretty much a guaranteed thing on any trackday.

You get a complete mixture of abilities and confidences on any day, 'name' circuits like Silverstone will attract even more first-timers who just want to do it for the pose value and as a consequence the average may very well be slower than some scruffy little circuit in the middle of nowhere. Conversely, book a trackday when there's a club race a few days later, the average will probably be faster than the norm cos there's loads of racers getting a sneaky practice in.

At the end of the day, it's only down the straights where being on an R1 is really any advantage. Smile

Yorkshire Puddin'
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:22 - 06 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice group that explains it, still pretty good effort if you have only been riding 6 months.

Last track i did there were no spots left in the inter's so i ended up in the fast group...........at the back Cool , my little zx6 against full on and semi serious track prepped zx10's, gixer thous etc etc....talk about little fish big pond, outta ya depth blah blah.

Still had the track to myself most of the time and didn't come last either Shocked Cool Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2