Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

yamaha dt 125 engine problem plz help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:58 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: yamaha dt 125 engine problem plz help Reply with quote

hi, im having a problem with my Yamaha dt 125 and i hope you can help. if left alone for say 2 hours it starts fine but then after a few seconds say 10 or so it dies and wont start up for nothing, but if let for a while like 2 hours or more again it starts up?? any idea's what it may be?? oh and its very very low on oil theres like a drop you can just see so could it be the oil? and what oil do you recommend its a 125 2-stroke thankyou

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 14:35 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like u have fucked the engine mate, its getting hot siezing and stopping then cooling down and running again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:00 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok long story short i bought it 2 days ago. it started and ticked over of 30 mins ok, i didnt ride it or rev it just left it idle. then i went to change gear put clutch in changed to 1st and it jumped and stalled so the clutch needs adjusting as that doesnt work which i wasnt told when i bought it. and since after that it will only start every 2 hours or so or if i drain the carb. anyway to fix it plz help or ive been robbed

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:38 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the hell did u have it idling for half an hour?!?! lol it must have got roasted.

Sounds like you bought a dog, get some oil in it BEFORE lyou start it again as if the barrell isn't screwed already it will be if you keep running it dry.

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:53 - 25 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol when it was idle it had oil in it now its very low as my mate opened the oil pipe. so i dont think its been harmed as i havent been able to get it running since i had it idle and i had it idle for 30 mins as it had been in storage for 3 weeks to clear out any rubbish etc

3806danny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:15 - 29 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first bloke is right your goner need new barrel @ pistin and if u have got 1 a new oil pump, try mixing some 2 stroke oil in the tank,same thing happened 2 my bike,buy a 4 stroke?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:08 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i got a new carb yesturday, the bike starts great but dies i think i know the problem, its the power valve i was told it would make some sort of noise but it doesnt it has been stood up along time so i assume the battery is dead and in park mode the lights dont come on but do if i kick start what do you think?? oh and the bike starts great and doesnt need hours to try again like with the old carb, i have also walked around without the sparkplug in to make sure it aint flooded im also gonna put some redex in it

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave an air cooled engine (I think it's air cooled) running when it's not moving mate... Common sense really...

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i dont leave it running while its standing still only did that once, ive put fresh oil it it and everything, but i do need some help if any1 has a manual for a yamaha dtr 125 it would be very helpful also im not comepletely sure but does the power valve make a noise when you turn the ignition on?? i was told it does and my battery on the bike is flat i think. any help would be great

3806danny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

when your bike runs it gets hot it stops ? its seizing try mixing 2 stroke with the petrol

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:31 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can it get hot if i cant get it to run for more then 5 seconds?? i can leave it days and it will run for 5 seconds

rg 250 freak
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:00 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: bike troubles Reply with quote

hi zone demon
just a quick one get a test light that connects to your spark leads it should be one for checking a car spark lead test whilst running in the dark if possible then you will see the glow in the tester better if they dont work replace the part then try again then check for fuel flow either with a pressure guage or some clear tube or filter .cause it sounded as if it was flooding but before all that check your battery mate if none of this does not help then sorry Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkullNCrossBones wrote:
walk the plank you lowly land lovers arrrrr

Kites are poo. Smile

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:36 - 11 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ty for all ur help, i guess it was just frozen jets. i put redex in the tank 1st kick it started and died, also second time but 3rd time it started up great and had a great time on it!

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:17 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you use GOOD 2stroke oil such as castrol or atleast halfords stuff (£7 ish) a bottle as if you use cheap shit you will butcher the engine in no time

Fatgreek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dio you still need a manual for it? If so what year is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:31 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i had my hopes up its doing it all over again im thinking it needs a new barrel its getting oil to it and water/coolent but now its dieing at 5 sets flat and wont start for crap, and the battery if full charged this time?? its a 1990 Greg so i think 90-91 i forgot lol yamaha dtr 125 thankyou mate the manual will come in very useful

Fatgreek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me with ya addrerss and i'll take a look up the shed and see if i have one for that year, If so i'll get it posted out to you and you can send it back when you've sorted your problem out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you even tried adjusting the carb yet? they're fiddly things and take a bit of adjustment for the bike to trurn right. It's stupid people have been suggesting you buy a whole new top end without eleiminating simpler things first. And you think it's the powervalve? lol nope!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

zonedemon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:52 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey my email address is zonedemon@btinternet.com thankyou for all ur help, i took the barrel off and i think its the piston the barrel looks great inside but the piston looks ok it has a bit of burn on the top and it has 2 metal like rings on it and 1 of em was half off and im lucky it didnt scrap the inside do you think that could be the problem lol anyway ty for all ur help i dont think its the power valve im just going on what people has said it sounds like and it has plenty of oil and coolent trust me loads poured out when i took it off lol chhers! well coolent, only abit of oil poured out the pipe

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you took the barrel off without draining the coolant ???

If you did do this flush out the bottom end of your engine as it is highly likely you now have coolant in the bottom end of your engine...

The piston is meant to have 2 rings they are what make the air tight seal in the barrel enabling combustion to occur

gimpy limp
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ain't whole new heads and pistons and crank only about 50 quid for these things on ebay? I know a mates dt (much older one more reliably imo) only cost him around 40/50 for it. Best thing about 50's and 125 bikes that is. Will it run without stopping if you give it a smidging of throttle and keep it their? That will tell you alot as to what could be your problem (i.e could be running lean and needs adusting among other things). Do you have an idle screw on these? find that and adjust it it also.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1