Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cagiva raptor/planet 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Cagiva raptor/planet 125 Reply with quote

I really really like these bikes, and i'm currently saving for one.

What should i look out for? I've found one with 6000 miles on the clock, and it's recently had new front wheel bearings, new swingarm bearings, and a full engine rebuild (the owner seems to think the camshaft was part of this lol). It's been dropped once (very minor damage) and it's at a price i can soon afford.

Also, what's the under-tank storage like?

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:40 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is there any under tank storage at all?

Bearings are cheap, but given the comment on camshafts (presume they mean crankshaft) it would not surprise me if by the swinging arm bearings they mean something else.

All the best

Keith

planet rider
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate i payed 1300 for mine when i brought it with just under 3k on it no rebults etc. undertank storage you will be able to fit um er lol not a lot i could just get a pair of trainers under it.

what year is the bike and how much is it going for there good bikes i would realy pay more than 1.3 knowing that its had a rebiuld at only a small amount of miles.

mine now needs its 1st rebuild at 34k

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is, it's bloody cheap. It's a 99 bike if i remember correctly. What problems have you had with yours, and what is the parts availability like?

Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fazerkev
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those Derbi 125s are very good looking...if not a tad modern

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:12 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the planet is am amazing bike my friends and i have had one in our group for a long time now its probably the most fun bike i have ever ridden you should look out for electrical problems also check for play in the swingarm as the bearings arent great as for under tank storage cagiva reckon u can get a helmet under there ive tried it aint gonna happen lol i used to put my backpack in there usually but as long as its at a good price id say anything below a £1000 is ok go for it if the can/silencer is damaged i have a spair in good condition for sale

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 16:38 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate of mine had one, he liked it. Same engine as the Mito.

Mileage isn't hugely important if it's had all the bearings and engine done.

If he thinks a 2 stroke engine has a cam shaft maybe it hasn't actually had any engine work done...

Why would you even get as far as the crank shaft, cuz that involves splitting the cases and I can see little point unless it broke or seized.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
the planet is am amazing bike my friends and i have had one in our group for a long time now its probably the most fun bike i have ever ridden you should look out for electrical problems also check for play in the swingarm as the bearings arent great as for under tank storage cagiva reckon u can get a helmet under there ive tried it aint gonna happen lol i used to put my backpack in there usually but as long as its at a good price id say anything below a £1000 is ok go for it if the can/silencer is damaged i have a spair in good condition for sale

The exhaust can is indeed scratched to buggery, but i hate the look of that anyway, i'll probably get an aftermarket can (can't be arsed with a full system as the rejetting etc. is too much hassle.

As for the cam shaft lol, i think he may have meant the balance shaft (if it has one). I'll check the recipts for engine work.

Thanks for your help guys Thumbs Up

Jack

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Planet as my first bike at 17, nice to ride and look at but mine had lots of problems (but it was from a breakers and fairly tatty).

The under tank storage is next to useless, wouldn't come close to fitting a lid and its open on either side so small stuff could fall out. Besides, when the tank's full its a bitch to hold it up while you try and get something under it.

Derestricted it was nippy, would show 105ish on the clocks, it handled really nicely and the brakes were brembos, overkill for such a little bike - so great. However electrics didn't like the wet, would stop working for a while then mysteriously be fine later. Apart from that, the lack of a rev counter is a bit of a pain on a revvy 2 stroke.

Biggest problem- getting parts. The factory are useless and it can takes ages for stuff to arrive, so if you buy it make sure it doesn't need anything and try not to drop it Very Happy

They're not perfect, but if you're after a 2 stroke race rep it makes a more sensible buy than a mito.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rev counter! the one flaw with what would be a perfect bike for me (apart from parts availability). Even my first scooter had a rev counter! How the hell can you run it in without one!

Jack

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the good thing is it teaches you a bit about how to listen to the engine and get the most power from it without having to rely on the counter... but yeah, it was also a pain in the ass.

vlf
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:31 - 13 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just ride it smoothly and let the feel of the engine get to you, you won't even be looking at the tacho, anyway.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 17:38 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front wheel bearings seems to go very easily on them. I also had my alternator break. Check the downpipes - they are quite low quality so rot easily and are expensive to replace - not much chance of finding a spare set in the breakers. Mine really hated running in the cold/damp too.

All that said, I really loved it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
The front wheel bearings seems to go very easily on them. I also had my alternator break. Check the downpipes - they are quite low quality so rot easily and are expensive to replace - not much chance of finding a spare set in the breakers. Mine really hated running in the cold/damp too.

All that said, I really loved it!

ah, its probably worth mentioning that the alternator went on mine as well, it might be a common problem and they're bloody expensive to replace! I also had my throttle cable snap twice, both times at the very top near the twist grip.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 14 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob will become your best friend!

Owning a cagiva has become a lot easier since he's been around. As for the planet, same as the mito/supercity for a lot of the parts. The main issues have been covered.

Wheel bearings go a lot. £10/pair
Exhausts need painting twice a year.
Will make 31bhp and do 90mph
Electrics can play up a lot. Generators and starters.

Fun bikes, but you need to like tweaking with things to keep them running sweet.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do minor repairs, and to be honest, i'd like a 125 that needs me to tinker with it, i'd rather learn my tinkering skills on a simple 125, than a much bigger and more expensive bike.

Thanks for all your help, i'm probably going to shell out on this bike.

Jack

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 15 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you get pictures, Planets are sexual 125s.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1