Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Timers on the Track!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Absolute_Kwackers
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:07 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: First Timers on the Track! Reply with quote

right looking to do a couple of trackdays this year, going to be my first so am looking forward to them!

Anybody reccommend any tracks and roughly prices, want to do goodwood as its near to me but they dont really do bikes anymore which sucks, but should have a van in a couple of months so distance wont really bother me too much!

Just wandering if there was certain tracks to try before others sort of thing!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, have a look at the Trackday FAQ: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57514

I've never seen a trackday advertised at Goodwood, so you'll probably struggle to get one.

Have a look here ( https://www.uktrackdays.co.uk/ ) for an idea of pricing, tracks etc and some dates for this year. Expect an average day to cost around £100 (plus fuel etc obviously). If you're near Goodwood then Castle Combe probably isn't too far. It's not a very interesting track (in my opinion) but could work well for a first track. They are very tight on noise though, so make sure you don't have a noisy can fitted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 00:18 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably suggest Snetterton to be a best first timers track, as it's not too complicated. It is a bit of a trek though, but you can camp overnight for £5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:05 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you fuck up and get there early enough by accident you don't have to pay.

Castlecoombe do trackdays for bikes for £125.

I'll probably be doing one there in the summer.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Absolute_Kwackers
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:32 - 17 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info peeps!

wanted to do goodwood as the old man done one last year and wanted to use his track times as a marker lol!

used to be pretty quick round there in his youth, hes now 10 years older and 10 seconds slower which i thought was pretty good for someone who only rides a few times a year now!

WOuldnt mind dojng castlecoombe, and snetterton sounds interesting will have to have a look at the track maps etc, once i got van there will be a few of us treking up and having a trackday, dump bikes outside and sleep in van sort of thing!

reasonable prices aswell, well i will start hunting for some trackdays, no doubt it will be raining on my first! lol

Snake Eyes
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:07 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Rockingham as a first track day last year and it was ace, could have done with a bit more of a simpler track but after a couple of sessions it was fine.

I was by far the slowest person out there but I still had the time of my life Thumbs Up

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here for track layouts

https://www.racingcircuits.net/

I did my first trackday at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit, because I got a cheap ticket. It's a good circuit that's not too complicated to get around, but very difficult to get "perfect".

I'm intending to be doing Snetterton for the first trackday of the year (hopefully on the 19th Febuary), as need to get the confidence back after my little incident at Brands.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hoping to do a track day for the first time sometime this year, but will i run into problems with having the 33bhp restriction for another 18months??

The bike isnt 33bhp

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 17:36 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOM M wrote:
Im hoping to do a track day for the first time sometime this year, but will i run into problems with having the 33bhp restriction for another 18months??

The bike isnt 33bhp

Shouldn't worry about it too much, in reality they very rarely check for a restriction period. Just don't bring it to their attention.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 17:42 - 18 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people shit themselves about trackdays saying full licences only or whatever.

I've done 2 and it's never been questioned.
Wave2k's done 2 and it's never been questioned.
Yokogeri gave focused events a provisional and a pass certificate!
Jay12329 has done more than that on a restricted licence.

I don't know of a single person to get turned away.
Although I think Shaun or M1ke had them call the pitlane controller down, and he just said "Of course he can go on" and was a bit angry they'd wasted his time.

I really wouldn't worry.

Gaz

judderman3000
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

try tracksense theyve got a website somewhere but they do all sorts of trackdays, iv only ever watched one but it might be of some use to you, iv only got a 50cc so im no good on a track really

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking at Brands (about £110ish) for novice / beginners day, kinda handy as about 30 minutes away Very Happy .

Would this be a good choice as a first timer with little (but gaining) confidence?

Can spectators come, ie GF in car (you never can tell if things are gonna work at the end of the day)?

In the open sessions, how much of the time is spent on the track? Do they limit the number of riders at any one time?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Been looking at Brands (about £110ish) for novice / beginners day, kinda handy as about 30 minutes away Very Happy .

I assume the Indy circuit at that price?

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Would this be a good choice as a first timer with little (but gaining) confidence?

I would say so. It's technical in places, but not difficult to learn. Just take your time.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Can spectators come, ie GF in car (you never can tell if things are gonna work at the end of the day)?

Yes. There are no restrictions (or costs) to spectators.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
In the open sessions, how much of the time is spent on the track? Do they limit the number of riders at any one time?

Normally you'll get 15-20 minute sessions, either three or four groups and about five sessions during the day. Doesn't sound much, but it'll be plenty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Silver

They have loads of dates throughout the year, was looking at eater time, hopefully the weather will be slightly warmer by then

Will I have to do anything to the bike? I know about taping glass like the lights etc, or is it just turn up and ride?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 07 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Cheers Silver

They have loads of dates throughout the year, was looking at eater time, hopefully the weather will be slightly warmer by then

Will I have to do anything to the bike? I know about taping glass like the lights etc, or is it just turn up and ride?

No worries. Have a look at the trackday FAQ for advice about bike prepping etc Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57514

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo
Did you go to Snetterton?

Quote:
I'm intending to be doing Snetterton for the first trackday of the year (hopefully on the 19th Febuary),

I was there and nearly froze to the van in that biting wind.

I took some video of the inters group 2

If you were in there I may have got you on tape.
What bike were you riding?

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 23:02 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't get the R6 back together in time, and didn't really fancy getting killed on a 1978 Kawasaki which has no front brake.

ZZR-Souls
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:35 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sensible.
One guy got punted up the rear and then run over. They took him to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital with suspected internal injuries.
Trouble with Snetterton is it's only got 2 left handers and in that cold the left side of the tyre had no grip. Lots of fallers that day.

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on summer!

I only started riding last August so never really got time to attempt a track day before the weather turned and I actually worked out roughly how to ride.

I have read the FAQ(very useful) and got myself excited. I've definately reached a point on the road where I feel very restricted and if I push things I'm going to have a close encounter with a tree.
I love the thought of a 10m wide track to play with and learn what a bike can do. I think it will make things on the road a lot easier.
I can see it being bloody scary but ridiculous fun at the same time.
Just need the bloody weather to start turning. At the moment I'll make do with a couple of dry hours on a sunday morning.

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

akaDAVE wrote:
I've definately reached a point on the road where I feel very restricted and if I push things I'm going to have a close encounter with a tree.

A very good plan to do a trackday then!

If anything though trackdays actually slowed down my road riding, cos you become even more aware of the hazards on the road.

Trackdays are the best thing since sliced bread, i have only ever heard one person say that they didn't want to do another one. Be warned, they are addictive!!!!Wink

If possible do your first day with a mate (or mates) that you ride with, or ones that you trust not to go mental straight away.

Unfortunatly I have got to cut back on mine this year due to a house buying situation, but I will be back in full swing the year after Thumbs Up Hoping to do at least Donnington again this year,(are you listening Silver?) as it's my favourite track to date and I have'nt been on since they resurfaced it.

akaDAVE wrote:
Come on Summer

Yeah, summer makes all the difference..........

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=30426

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:33 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread me and some mates are doing our first one this year! we dont know which track yet but some great links and advice!

really looking forward to it now!

Thumbs Up cheers all

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealNinja wrote:
If anything though trackdays actually slowed down my road riding, cos you become even more aware of the hazards on the road.

Same here. I've tried to do one a month through the summer and it kind of gives me my "fix" so that I don't feel I have to go out and ride like a lunatic at weekends! Shifty

RealNinja wrote:
Trackdays are the best thing since sliced bread, i have only ever heard one person say that they didn't want to do another one. Be warned, they are addictive!!!!Wink

Very Happy Thumbs Up

RealNinja wrote:
If possible do your first day with a mate (or mates) that you ride with, or ones that you trust not to go mental straight away.

I try not to get drawn into any kind of "who's the fastest" debates, because they always seem to end in tears sooner or later. If someone passes me, I just let them go... which actually saved me at Cadwell, when the bloke stacked it in the next corner - I would have hit him if I'd got the red mist down!

RealNinja wrote:
Unfortunatly I have got to cut back on mine this year due to a house buying situation, but I will be back in full swing the year after Thumbs Up Hoping to do at least Donnington again this year,(are you listening Silver?) as it's my favourite track to date and I have'nt been on since they resurfaced it.

I'm listening! Very Happy I'm looking at trying to get to Donington at least twice this year, I love it. At the moment (although this may change due to availability / weather) I'm looking to get there on the 13th April with Focused Events (GP, Full Noise, £155). Jeanette also wants to do Donington on her first trackday.

I never rode it before it was resurfaced, but heard what everyone said about the bumps in certain corners. I can assure you it is now suuuuper smooth!

RealNinja wrote:
Yeah, summer makes all the difference..........

Laughing

Never been so wet! Bloody northern weather... Razz

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 22:49 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start my season as soon as i get the enigine running. Cool

Plan to do at least 5 between june and october. No doubt will be seeing/pwing silver at a track day near you soon. Razz

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
Start my season as soon as i get the enigine running. Cool

...or after you run out of excuses.

markcatate wrote:
Plan to do at least 5 between june and october. No doubt will be seeing/pwing silver at a track day near you soon. Razz

If you're fast, you're fast. If not, I'll point and laugh! Razz

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:36 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see myself getting so owned on the race track the first time. Probably get lapped by everyone. Laughing

At least i'll do it in a bit of style. Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2