BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you recomend BCF?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

zephyrgirl
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:11 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I only mention BCF to people after I have 'promoted' the other bike forums I'm on first.

If I come across another lady biker I recommend the female bike forum I use, if they are on a Zephyr or XJR I let them know about the owners clubs I am involved in.

I very rarely usher someone in the direction of the bizzarre world of BCF.

I told my brother about BCF a while back, but he has never posted - I'm not sure why, perhaps he feels a bit intimidated by the negative response he potentially could receive.

I think you need to be a certain kind of person to 'fit in' on here.

And, sometimes, I'm not sure if I 'fit in' myself!?

I still enjoy the forum though Wink

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:17 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should have a thread where everyone who dislikes this place as it is and moans like a bitch about ‘such and such’ a person, put their name down and then Korn can delete them from the member list for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

See now ive only been around for just over a year now realy...

But things have changed even in that short space of time.

I was attracted to this forum by a few things:

Arrow The activeness of the forum
Arrow The way people presented themselves
Arrow The maturity showed when posting

But mostly

Arrow The way that no one realy "attacked" me for being a noob, i first came here looking for information about my NSR. Since being here i know how many posts about NSR's there are around here, and how frustrating it can be to have the latest wannabe siging up here because he has a 125 thats shaped like a sports bike, that does 90mph, and thinking that gives him a right to talk crap about his immense bike... But no one here moaned, they helped me out with a few things, and even helped me on the way to making sure i got the correct bike for me when i passed my test, gave me support and tips for taking my test, and how to go about riding afterwards.

When i was first here there was a new post every other day about someone taking their test... this post would race to the top with people giving suggestions and advice, then congratulations when they have passed! It wouldnt stray from the top 5 posts... now-a-days they just fall to the floor with people bitching about how elite their rim-tape looks and how big their wheelies are...

Not the same, nice, environment it was even 14 months ago.

Ive recomended it to a mate, who has signed up... but he prefers ukbikeforums... and doesnt realy post here.

I feel remotely discouraged about advertising this to biker mates anymore, instead i have gone for GS500e.co.uk stickers for my helmet and bike.

Its a shame Sad Thumbs Down

And like shaun, if certain people dissapear from this forum, then so will I.

Im sure im not seen as a huge influence on this forum, but i have been around long enough to make quite a few good mates from this place, even in the year ive been here.

Dont think its that easy to "get in" to this place any more, for the new members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 12:46 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, there is a wealth of information to be had, and yes you do need to use the search function a little but this place is a great place to be. I mean come on, there is no other forum like this one, it /is/ unique. I have been on other forums, but to be honest they are just plain confusing or full of bitches like VisorDown, full of 12 year olds like 125ccsportsbike, just plain wank like meanbikes, or just plain boring (the rest of them). There is no other place that employs such power to the user, to be able to ban other members or restrict what they can do. Granted, it is abit flawed and ineffective at times but the majority of the time it works out.

These days, I find most of my time talking to members in IRC because they are the best and it is more of a free flowing conversation, they have advised me on lots and lots, if it wasn't for them I would be on an RS125, instead of holding a full licence and riding an ER5. May not seem much to you guys but at 17 I own my own vehicle, 500cc and looks and sounds the mutts in my opinion. And this is all thanks to BCF. Without BCF I would have never been to a bike meet and met plenty of decent people, and I wouldn't have got the bike I have, and such a deal that I got since it was Dodsi who recommended it and got £300 off the price. I wouldn't have got a £40 pair of gloves for £5. I wouldn't have got a free Haynes manual, or a slimline PS2. My 50 would probably be dead if it wasn't for some of the members.

But all those up points need a downside don't they. This downside comes in the form of everyone who proceeds to post absolute drivel and expect a round of applause. I can deal with someone who periodically posts a problem that they are having emotionally, I mean it's nice to have the help from people you consider your peers, but a post everyday about the same boring crap that we helped you with yesterday?? You are taking liberties, and /this/, is what is wrong with BCF. Not to mention the which 125/400 should I get, but those are to be expected.

I genuinely think a cull is in order, and I have a few people that probably agree, just a purge of useless members, but who am I to decide this?

I think people should think about what they say before they open their mouths, and speak only as they would in real life, not try to big themselves up in anyway, because if we ever do meet you, it will be somewhat of an embarrassment when you are revealed for what you truly are.

I bid you good day.

Last edited by phantomtek on 22:49 - 18 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
I genuinely think a cull is in order, and I have a few people that probably agree, just a purge of useless members, but who am I to decide this?

Precisely. The fact that Korn has banned only a handful of people and that basically nothing is out-of-bounds for discussion is one of the strengths of the forum.

To be honest, I think the posting standard took a nose dive during the middle of last year. Lots of new people joined or became active over a short period of time, and all started posting _lots_ of drivel. Normally this would be looked down on by 'established members', but the number of new posters was sufficient for this to be ineffective (basically they encouraged each other and did not notice everyone else ignoring them). I don't think anything can be done about this though... All things change with time, for better or for worse.

I would think very carefully before reccommending the forum to somebody, but this does not mean that I wouldn't reccommend it.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching for CBR125 information with google and came across BCF. I know I am bad poster of craps. I don't suggest BCF not to increase crap member like me.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend this Forum along with a few others.

Any Forum will have it's dickheads, but if you look hard enough there's always the infomation that you need.

A forum wouldn't be a forum without a bit of piss taking and banter in my opinion, it adds to the flavour.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 20:34 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
(basically they encouraged each other and did not notice everyone else ignoring them)

Spot on! Thumbs Up

I also agree with your comment about Korn not banning people, the freedom of speech and non-controlling Admin is part of what makes this forum good.

You're right about the amount of new members posting drivel that turned up suddenly as well, I do remember that suddenly the forum would just be full of crap posted by lots of new people. This happened over a period of about a week it seemed and it's been that way ever since.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:14 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What angers me the most is the fact that people (mostly IRC crews and the ever prevelant popular members) think that there should be a cull, this saddens me in the fact I bet if it was YOU on the end of the culling calls, you'd be upset. Yeah and I bet most of you say you don't care about what people think of you, but I bet all of you would still be affected by the proliferation of insults towards you.

This in my opinion is what has changed most on this forum, people have got less friendly and welcoming and are very selective about who they listen too.

It's a cruel world. Rolling Eyes
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawashima wrote:
I am bad poster of craps. I don't suggest BCF not to increase crap member like me.

Not quite sure what you were trying to get accross here, however I have to say I generally enjoy your posts Thumbs Up.
While your English often isn't great, it's obvious you do make a lot more of an effort that many on here; posts are well thought out and interesting usually.

Would I reccomend BCF?
As most will have noted one of my current pet hates, if it was to a Muslim person, no way at all would I want to be asociated with it.
For others, I would reccomend they post here to ask a question if I thought people here would answer, however I would also sugget they keep a thick skin about them.

As far as abusing new posters, I have sometimes been accused of this, however it should be noted that if I do give a tounge in cheek reply to a new poster I will also provide the relevant information at the same time. This information is sometimes ignored, but I don't feel too bad about it.
I do get annoyed by people that post directly abusive stuff with no explanation of why.

There's a lot of attitudes (note attitudes, not views) on here that I don't like, but sadly I think this is likely to crop up anytime you take a big chunk of British society and squidge them together.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:29 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally new to biking when I stumbled across BCF, and it's really helped me out.

I've met some cool people, got loads of help - hey, when I failed my 2nd test I was on the verge of giving up totally and people on here helped convince me to try again.

Yeah, there's a lot of shit flying around with idiots and abusive posts, but I think it's still worth wading through for the genuine top people that still hang out here.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3