Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you recomend BCF?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

So the forum has lost it's homely feel, I don't instantly hate new members because of it though, I'm still open to meeting new people but it's not as simple as it used to be, I used to make pretty damn good judgements of people from their posts because everyone was themselves and didn't try to play it big, these days you find most people post completely different to how they are in real life so when you do meet them you feel you still know nothing about the person.

Yeah can pretty much see your point. Thumbs Up Not that I feel the same as I'm pretty new, just when I joined up and searched on posts before posting topics, I could see a 'collection' of posters that seemed to know each other relatively well and you'd get the same members posting in each topic. The sort of 'homely' feel you get when you have met folk and as you say...you know them better.

Guess this just happens with every forum though...Thinking

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

been here a while, and id recommend BCF to anyone, obviosly going to get idiots saying there 50 does mach-5, but what forum doesnt.

Hoping to meet a few of you ugly buggers in the summer,

BCF for teh w!n!

Steve.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 00:54 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Shaun. He's totally hit the nail on the head. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 01:03 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would no longer recommend BCF to anyone.......

The forum has become shit to many wankers and stuipd n00bs giving mechical advice on things they know FA about, l,m only still here for the south-east ride-outs (top blokes there Thumbs Up )
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:12 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you spend too much time on the forum it can start looking a bit dull.

Its only natural that people feel comfortable with people they know and have met a few times.

Some people get surprisingly irritated with those they consider to be noobs and feel justified in being quite rude as they feel they are just voicing their opinion. Usually the noob haters arent as clever as they think they are and the more knowledgable people are usually above belittling people they disagree with.

There are some seriously knowledgable people on here and I dont just mean the obvious ones like stinkwheel and kickstart. People who will have the answer to one obscure question that no one else knows. There are people who are entertaining and there are people who like to have a good debate about any issue of the day in the news or whatever.

Im not so keen on the rudeness and prefer it when people type more than one line or one word.

Siggi was usually quite entertaining and good in debates, I wonder if he'll come back.

Id definitely recommend bcf for technical questions as workshop section doesnt seem to be visited by the entertainment lot who like needling people.

I think bcf is also good for just absorbing general knowledge of biking that can be useful, but you only really get that if you trawl through a lot of posts.

bcf is also good for general computer stuff as its ppl who are into computers and bikes. I didnt know about bittorrents or limewire before.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really; mostly because the only people I know who ride bikes are those already on BCF! Laughing I did point a friend here when her Marauder was running nastily, but I think it was just carb icing anyway so no real need to ask here.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 01:26 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
We should spend less time bithcing on the net and more riding together in the "real world" Very Happy.

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:29 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, but its cheaper

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:41 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
Why? Well I guess it could be the amount of shite posts the forum gets, or the uncalled for attacks from some members when someone posts a question which may not be simple to them, but perceived as simple to the keyboard warriors out there.

So ill take that as generally in my direction ..... and to be fair the post(s) i mentioned had incredibly obvious solutions to them and i dont think i was the only person to pick up on that, maybe the only one to be cuntish enough to create a thread highlighting that point

and far from being "keyboard warrior-ish" about it, if someone made a similar remark/request in real life i would answer it exactly the same way .... blunt and to the point

and yes, i do/would still recommend this site to people, if only so they may share in my glorious wit and humor

that is all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont reccomend this forum as I dont like to come across as a sad forum using cunt that I am. Would prefer to pretend I dont use a forum at all! Laughing

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:56 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
I dont reccomend this forum as I dont like to come across as a sad forum using cunt that I am. Would prefer to pretend I dont use a forum at all! Laughing

lol ...so true Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:37 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6jonny wrote:

So ill take that as generally in my direction .....

Wasn't aimed at anyone directly, was more to make people think which it would seem it has done.

Im actually really glad that people feel similar to me and have similar opinions of the forum in general. I mean I have met a lot of top people from this forum, some which no longer reside under the umbrella of the grand king Korns creation, but still I see and talk to these people as my "real" friends.

I'll never forget the first time I went to G's. This will be an experience a lot of the people from here have been through. Turning up to a total strangers house, meeting a bunch of strangers, going out and then been given a place to stay. Now to me thats what this forum was about. The love of it and the general good karma that flowed.
Shaun mentioned the same sort of thing earlier.

I know I don't post or visit the site half as much as I used to, but there are people from here I still wish to meet and there are the odd threads which do amuse me.
The amount of actual knowledgable, genuine people on this site will always give me that feel good, ready break glow and I hope that when I do contribute/help people its appreciated.

It would seem from all that have posted in here that we are all aware of the short falls of the forum been so large these days or possibly its just the short falls of human nature?

As such I have one thing to ask of you all.

Think before you post, don't try and be who you ain't and above all treat people how you want to be tret in return. Karma

Keep this place a place we're proud to recommend to others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:42 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know what all you lot are moaning about TBH, all the members who have some kind of history on the site are the ones posting in here and in threads where debate is healthy, the reason being is because of the slight predictability.
Whether you agree on points or not at least there’s some action.

I go into General chat and I’ve asked (recently) about tyres, new bikes, roads and laws, each and every time I’ve had posts from someone who is truly helpful and I’ve learnt quite a bit.
Some members will reply and make sense, some make a joke, others don’t have a clue, either way I got the info I needed.

I go into funny stuff and don’t mind the reposts, because I love seeing that kid hit a lamppost or that car taken out by a bomb etc.

I’ve sold a few things here.

I’ve posted photos of my bike with some nice comments back.

I had problems with my VFR and within an hour, 3 replies…..

Seriously, there have been times where I sat here and thought, meh, but in the end I’m not sad about N00bs getting gold blobs like old skool members and I don’t ‘need’ to go to another forum and make myself known there because I’m over shadowed by others. I have joined a few other forums, but the randomness of this place makes me come back.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:52 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you totally missed the point with your opening statement.

This isn't a question about newbies getting gold blobs, or the old timers having their little cliques etc. Its about would you recommend BCF to someone.

You do however go on to say what you like about the forum and as such I would assume you would therefore recommend the forum to someone.

Debates I don't mind, the things I hate are when people latch on to someone and just take digs for no reason. You of all people I would of thought would relate to this.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Personally the only reason I'm still here is because of the friends I made before the forum become full of shit, if they all left, I would without a seconds thought.

Spot on. Thumbs Up If it wasn't for the fact I'm in front of a pc all week long I'd only use BCF to check for rideouts when I can (the best thing about the site imo).

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here for a while now (mostly on the fringes) and have noticed that it has changed, people ('good' and 'bad') have come and gone; it must be even more noticable for those who have been part of BCF since the early days. Sadly, the posts from people I do like to read do seem to be on the decline.

However, this forum is good to me, it provides me with something to do that isn't statistics or research. Although there is a lot of narrow mindedness sometimes, this to me is just human nature, an internet forum is generally not a place I would try and challenge someone's opinion. So, I ignore the majority and take part in what I consider to be the worth while minority of threads.

Anyways, back on topic: Would I recommend BCF? I haven't because I don't have many mates that bike but I am a believer in it, there's a lot of people that I would like to meet on here so it can't be that bad.

I think some of us would do well to take a step back, remember that this is supposed to be fun and think twice before they act.

<phil waits nervously for the London to Brighton bike ride, he wonders if they will be nice and if they'll like him>

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:41 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I think all "seasonal activity" based forums have this bother at winter. More people are going to be getting out and about over the warmer months and that will be reflected in posts. Winter time means people not getting out, getting bored and writing crap.

I've seen this happen to a couple of local car boards in my time, its just one of those things.

And back on topic, I prefer to keep this place as my dirty little secret.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
<phil waits nervously for the London to Brighton bike ride, he wonders if they will be nice and if they'll like him>

As long as you don't show up on a competition bike and disappear into the distance while I can't get out of first gear I certainly wouldn't hold any grudges. Laughing

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recomend it to anyone looking to find info on bikes.

None of my friends who are into bikes. When I started out and decided to do the DAS course I had no background knowledge at all.
I have literally learnt all I know about bikes from BCF and reading countless issues of bike trader. I've learnt about everything from riding techniques to private buying and it's served me well so far.

I don't use any other internet forums so have nothing to compare it to but BCF is an excellent resource

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:53 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is excellent for bike and non bike information, it also provides me with some funnies. I try and post a bit back where I can be of help...however the bike knowledge of some on here puts me to shame and I consider myself to be not bad!

I would recommend it to my friends...however most of my biker mates don't have a computer!

I used to go on the forum that claims "it does not take it's self too seriously" however I found it to be not the case! Didn't seem to be very sports bike and dirt bike friendly. This forum is much better.

Last edited by spitfire on 10:57 - 17 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
byke95 wrote:

As long as you don't show up on a competition bike and disappear into the distance while I can't get out of first gear I certainly wouldn't hold any grudges. Laughing

You've got no worries there, I don't even own a bike!

Besides, I'm hoiping the missus is slow so I've got an excuse to hang at the back!

JeffT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:55 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still recommend the forum to people, via word of mouth and the big sticker on my bike, but I do explain that you have to filter through some crap to find what you want (and to ingnore the growing number of 50/125 riding 17 year olds that don't actually know the answers to you questions, but try anyway).

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that i'd recommend people to it anymore as it's mostly crap and what 125 and 400cc's that get posted on here too many times by n00bs and stagnant memebers alike who aren't bothered to use the search function.

The funny stuff is being a bit repetitive.

I've made all the friends i've made through BCF and have them on MSN Thumbs Up but regional forums still rock.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Do you recomend BCF? Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
So.... do you still recommend BCF?

Nope although I used to.

The adolescent dross posted by some members AND also by those that it would appear should know better far outweighs the obvious knowledge and humour that some bring to the forum I'm afraid.

A friend of mine used to watch Blind Date ‘cos he said it made him feel superior – maybe that’s why some old skool members stick around Wink

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:07 - 17 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way! I've made a few friends off this site, but tbh not many active people are from the S.W on here. I had to travel 150 miles to London just to have a good laugh, I don't get that on this forum. Far too many pointless posts. The only people that seem to get respect on this site and a reputation are those who don;t own a bike but just fuck about, whereas people who try and ask sincere questions get about 1 view and 0 replies, that's what fucks me off about this place.

A thread about "Have you ever got your dick caught in a slicer" will get about 100 replies, where as I have asked questions about bike alarms and got 7.

That's why I post somewhere else. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3