BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leg out

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:55 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Leg out Reply with quote

I've been getting back in the swing cornering supermoto style with the leg straight out takes some getting used to after ''test riding'' !

I dont think it makes much difference except it looks cool! Have any of you's tryed it and what do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved a couple of slips i've had with the ol' leg out.

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

only if it's needed, look a bit daft doing it round every corner on the street lol. usually if im drifting wide I'll put my leg out for co-ordination.

it worries me sometimes though, think i might fall off with my leg straight and break it.

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:27 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the idea of leg out (forward) is to put more weight on the front under heavy sharp cornering, i see loads of people sticking there leg out to the side which dont really do sheet. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:29 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep seeing 'ped bois doing this for cornering, and while wearing trainers too...

I'm worried that one day the foot will make contact with the floor and have the product of a korean sweat shop plastic welded to their feet...

... What Am I saying? I'm not worried at all! It would serve 'em right!

Spike_R
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 06:45 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

on supermoto you can jam your foot between the peg and frame if you dont take it off the footrest so it saves you coming off.
spiike

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 15 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it sometimes on me KLE.

Completely and utterly pointless, fucking funny none the less!

I have a quick 5 mins of the dakar on my way home from work. It's actually just a rather twisty north Cheshire country lane, but to me, for that moment, I'm in the desert! Wink Laughing

What's life without dreams eh?

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:06 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

carried my first pillion passenger legally today had the leg out once or twice but im not sure if ill make a habbit of it though Very Happy

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saw leg out as a safety thing. I assumed people were doing it because they were anticipating falling off and didn't want to smash their leg under the bike. Wouldn't make sense to do it on the road or at higher speeds because of the damage you'd do if your foot hit the ground.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:22 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told by a guy who races supermotos, that its so there is more weight over the front wheel

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:20 - 02 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also allows you to get a lower angle on a corner than you would be able to get with your feet on the pegs.

Like this.

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8898/windhamglenhelen036zv.jpg

Or this.

https://motochat.com/uploads/1134667452/gallery_2_1_48417.jpg

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 03 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also support the bike if any of the tyres decide to give way. like motogp riders save slides with their knees. occasionally.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:12 - 29 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looney wrote:
It also allows you to get a lower angle on a corner than you would be able to get with your feet on the pegs.

Like this.

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8898/windhamglenhelen036zv.jpg

Or this.

https://motochat.com/uploads/1134667452/gallery_2_1_48417.jpg

that would bloody hurt if he hit a bit of higher ground!

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:48 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
i was told by a guy who races supermotos, that its so there is more weight over the front wheel

ive been watching quite a bit of motocross racing on a tv channel called 'extreme sports channel'

I am now pretty sure the leg out serves the same function as the knee down. IE you can lean th bike close to the angle at which it will slip, and if it does, you correct with the knee/ foot down to arrest the slip.

This is what I had though was true originally and I now think the supermoto school guy who told me different was wrong.

so i agree with lilredmachine

Looney wrote:

maybe so, but i have seen motocross riders do it when their lean angle isnt enough for pegs to be on the floor, but they do dab the floor with a foot to prevent a slide

Last edited by colin1 on 16:47 - 13 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about moving the centre of gravity. Leg out and forwards moves the centre of gravity forwards and towards the side you are cornering. This allows a creater angle of lean and 'harder' cornering before you break traction with the front tyre.

Should be accompanied by hanging your arse off the saddle to the same side for maximum effect.

Ultimately, if you are doing extreme offroad type stuff, you can even shift some of the weight off the bike onto your foot and lay the bike down in a speedway style (speedway bikes only have one footpeg).

Do not attempt to ride like this unless riding a tuned to the limit, methanol burning, 500cc single cylinder bike with a single gear and no brakes on loose gravel sounds like your idea of fun
https://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/people/amit/postcard-speedway.jpg

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 01 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me sticking my boot down has saved a couple of offs for me, felt it gonna give way, stick the boot down and it sorta stabilizes it you could say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:47 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up the betterish bings @ philipston and i found my self doing it alot more than on the road. It doe's atleast make you feel more stable wheen yer super slick tires are sliding about! Laughing

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 11:29 - 05 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked about this with a mate who races supermoto.

It is to get you weight right over the fron of the bike through body positioning. However your leg would get trapped/you couldn't lean very far if your leg was in so you have to put it out. Can also help if the front tucks in apparently.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Me sticking my boot down has saved a couple of offs for me,

Saved one off, caused another after I stomped on the floor a little too hard and went over the other side and under a staionary bus Embarassed Shifty

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:47 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Do not attempt to ride like this unless riding a tuned to the limit, methanol burning, 500cc single cylinder bike with a single gear and no brakes on loose gravel sounds like your idea of fun

You mean like i do?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/ss4_142.jpg

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/ss5_142.jpg

Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

Its great fun! Trust me!

Dave Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:34 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was watching some dirt bikers in a field today and saw another use of leg out

on a tight turn, they would shift their weight off the back wheel onto the front wheel and their foot, theyd then spin the back of the bike round to exit the corner faster. They'd also do a long stride with their foot pushing the bike forward.

so leg out is multipurpose

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 10:48 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
i was watching some dirt bikers in a field today and saw another use of leg out

on a tight turn, they would shift their weight off the back wheel onto the front wheel and their foot, theyd then spin the back of the bike round to exit the corner faster. They'd also do a long stride with their foot pushing the bike forward.

so leg out is multipurpose

In a field at the swancote?...they were pit bikes.

Reading the above they sound like super humans with full size off road bikes.

simple

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:52 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

not super humans
and yeah they were off road pit bikes, but there are bigger motorcross bikes that do it

in another thread, someone described this thing that a bike did in a film, and someone said it was a motocross thing and described it

similar to what the pit bikes were doing but i understood it more seeing them do it

with a powerful motorcrsos bike, what they do is slow down for a sharp bend, have the bike leaned over and dump the clutch, and the back end swings right round. i watch a bit on satelite tv

obviously on the little pit bikes they didnt have so much power so it was more about the stride with the leg out, than much power from the back wheel. similar thing tho

watching those pit bikes made me wish i had got that dr350.

maybe one day when i become more conscientious about cleaning bikes

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 15 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

on an old moto-x bike just use a power washer colin.

particularly if it has had the electrics removed. Even if it hasn't you can still use one if you are careful.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2