Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wrote my car off! What next?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to Dear Auntie BCF... by Korn (10 Mar 2006 - 18:53)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cagiva Mito
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:44 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Wrote my car off! What next? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just a couple of quick questions.

On tuesday night I decided to take a corner too fast in the rain and lost control, resulting in my car rolling over into a field about 50mph!

I have heard from the repair shop where it was assesed and they said it is a right off, and to wait for my insurance company to contact me within the next few days.

Now I've never been in this situation before so I dont know how it works and have a few questions.

1.) Will they pay me anywhere near what my car is worth?

2.) How long will this take to sort out?

3.) How will this effect my future insurance? I mean will I continue paying what I am at the moment and then after a year it still drops?? (I'm 18 and been driving 4 months!!)

Any comments welcome!

Many thanks.

Sainty Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:27 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should pay you whatever it would cost to replace the car. Thats a direct replacement, same condition etc.

With no other parties in the picture it should be fairly quock to sort - a couple of weeks maybe.

Bend over and get ready to be shafted for the next few years with your insurance - and don't expect any lube!

Cagiva Mito
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to my insurance it cant go up a lot more can it? Im paying £1600 a year fully comp at the moment, I cant afford more than that!!

Is there any ways round it?

Sainty Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:33 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagiva Mito wrote:
With regard to my insurance it cant go up a lot more can it? Im paying £1600 a year fully comp at the moment, I cant afford more than that!!

Want a bet?

Quote:
Is there any ways round it?

Don't claim?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the car worth?

At a guess, I think the claim will cost you around £3000 in extra insurance, spaced out over the next few years.

I assume you are fully comp?

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the car worth much?

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Re: Wrote my car off! What next? Reply with quote

Cagiva Mito wrote:
Hi all,

Just a couple of quick questions.

On tuesday night I decided to take a corner too fast in the rain and lost control, resulting in my car rolling over into a field about 50mph!

I have heard from the repair shop where it was assesed and they said it is a right off, and to wait for my insurance company to contact me within the next few days.

Now I've never been in this situation before so I dont know how it works and have a few questions.

1.) Will they pay me anywhere near what my car is worth?

2.) How long will this take to sort out?

3.) How will this effect my future insurance? I mean will I continue paying what I am at the moment and then after a year it still drops?? (I'm 18 and been driving 4 months!!)

Any comments welcome!

Many thanks.

Sainty Cool

They should pay you what your car is worth. You can almost always get them to up the payout from their first offer though. Get an idea from Auto Trader etc. what a similar car to yours (age, condition and mileage) is selling for.

You should get an offer from the insurance company fairly quickly (within a fortnight), though if you're going to argue about it, it might take longer.

You won't have earned any no claims bonus and next years premium will be loaded by a percentage - though the initial premium will go down a bit because you're a year older and have had your licence a year longer. Don't expect it to be any cheaper than this year and it's likely to be a little bit more. Do a lot of rigning around when it comes to getting insurance again - using https://www.confused.com/ takes a lot of the repeat typing out of trying multiple online brokers.

Many insurance companies will transfer the policy to your replacement car (you contine to pay the same monthly amount until next renewal), though they are within their rights to cancel it once they've paid out on a write off (taking the balance owed out of your payment).

Cagiva Mito
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:52 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is (WAS!!) a Vauxhall Corsa SXI on a 52 plate worth about the £4000 grand mark!

I cant afford not to claim.

Guess it's one of those things, live and learn!!

How do u get them to up the payout from their first offer??

Sainty Cool

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:56 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagiva Mito wrote:

Write them a letter explaining that they havn't offered enough and enclose adverts for similar cars that prove your point. Look at dealer adverts, ignore private ones. You might not have to bother though - when Karens car was written off their first offer was a very good one.

Cagiva Mito
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Cool thanks for all your reply's guy's I guess I'll wait and see what they offer me!!

Cheers,

Sainty Cool

karen_moomin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the accident, at least you are ok.

Like McJam says, when my car was written off, I was very pleasantly surprised by their offer.

If I'd have sold my car I'd have been lucky to get £2k, yet they valued it at £2,700, which I accepted without question.

They take into account mileage too, so if your car was below average mileage they may up their offer a bit.

Realistically these things take about a month to sort out.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 09 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagiva Mito wrote:
It is (WAS!!) a Vauxhall Corsa SXI on a 52 plate worth about the £4000 grand mark!

I cant afford not to claim.

Guess it's one of those things, live and learn!!

Sainty Cool

I would try to avoid claiming because you will be fucked with insurance.

I'd go find a cheap roadworthy car for about £400 and use it instead.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a bit of luck you will be arrested and then banned for dangerous driving, and hopefully your insurance wil be declared invalid due to your reckless driving and you wont be paid out.
What if there had been someone walking along the road when you lost control?? would that just have been "One of those things"????
Knobhead.

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider

PostPosted: 20:17 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^Mr perfect there obviously never takes comp insurance cause he will never make a mistake or have an accident Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have comp insurance on my car. It covers me when some uninsured moron hits me. It doesn't make me drive like a twat because I know that I will be paid out when I write my car off.
Fully comp will not bring back the dead either..
As I said before. Knobhead.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 20:35 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you never taken a corner too fast by mistake??

Should get sorted ok. Good advice about the adverts, go for dealers like everyone as said.

My mums car was written off and they tried to give her 3k less than what it was worth. I had a look around autotrader we sent some adverts off and got the full value.

Pain in the arse though and i belive if you have an accident your premium goes up about 30%
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Er, No. I tend to look where i'm going.
I've only had 1 car crash in almost 24 years of driving.
That could hardly be blamed on me as it was a diesel spillage and I was driving under the speed limit.
I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver, I speed just as much as anyone else. I'd be the first to admit it, but If I dont know the road I treat it with caution. I look at signs, lamposts, kerbs. There are plenty of clues to show you were the road goes.
If you make a mistake you run a little wide. Rolling a car into a field is fucking reckless.
I've said it twice now. Here it is a third time. Knobhead.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 10 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS give the guy a chance. He was daft and foolish, so what. We have all made mistakes, I know I have.

Cagiva guy, its a no win situation you are in. Make the claim, Pay the premiums, or dont make a claim and lose out.

Unlucky, just take it on the chin and most importantly, LEARN FROM IT Thumbs Up

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 08:44 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
That could hardly be blamed on me as it was a diesel spillage and I was driving under the speed limit.
I'm not claiming to be a perfect driver, I speed just as much as anyone else. I'd be the first to admit it, but If I dont know the road I treat it with caution. I look at signs, lamposts, kerbs. There are plenty of clues to show you were the road goes.
If you make a mistake you run a little wide. Rolling a car into a field is fucking reckless.
I've said it twice now. Here it is a third time. Knobhead.

boring
owdamer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:

Would you still be saying that if he had killed someone??

What if your poor observation of the road conditions (diesel) had led you to kill someone? Smile

While I've never rolled a car or taken corners too wide in a car, I've known someone that did and was taking the corner at the same speed she had done many other times in the wet.
Obviously this time was too fast, maybe due to oil/diesel on the road or similar, but she ended up rolling into a field I believe.

m99dws
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
Quote:
FFS give the guy a chance. He was daft and foolish, so what. We have all made mistakes, I know I have.

You have been fortunate that any chances you have taken in your 24 years of driving had not resulted in an accident. Taking into account weather, other road users, road conditions etc. If just one of those had resulted in an accident you wouldn't be here typing in such a manner.

You've been lucky, he was unlucky.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Owdamer wrote:

What if your poor observation of the road conditions (diesel) had led you to kill someone? Smile

There was no indication of anything on the road. The conditions were good. the road was dry and there were no damp spots or anything. The first I knew was when the car started to drift rather than turn. I was driving under the limit because there is an adverse camber. Since I had my accident there have been several identical crashes in the same spot so there is obviously a problem with the surface.
How can you compare that to someone who
Quote:
decided to take a corner too fast in the rain
????????????

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:14 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you compare that to someone who
Quote:
decided to take a corner too fast in the rain

Easy. You both mis-read the road and crashed because of it.

Maybe he had a greater error of judgement than you. But we're talking about scale, not whether either of you made an error in the first place.

What if the road he was on should have been fine to take at that speed for a normally surfaced road, but the reason that he took it 'too fast' was because of a poor road surface he hadn't seen. Would that be 'ok' in your eyes?

jay_666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owdamer wrote:
Quote:

That could hardly be blamed on me as it was a diesel spillage and I was driving under the speed limit.......

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2