Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake shennigans/further work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:39 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Brake shennigans/further work Reply with quote

Well, the last couple of times I rode my scooter, I noticed that I was getting a pretty unpleasant grinding noise when I used the front brake. As I've signed myself off sick this week, I thought I'd take the opportunity to change the brake pads and expand my woeful mechanical skills.

Do ya think these really needed changing?! (pic attached)

Still, it's passed a pleasant hour or so, and it was pretty surprising to find out that under all the crap, I actually had a gold Brembo piston assembly - very bling, would go nicely with my fake carbon fork coverings, if they weren't all covered in crap too!

Now that I feel a bit more confident fiddling around with things, could anyone suggest some other low-tech maintainence I could have a go at on the scoot? It's a YQ100, and has done a few thousand miles since it's last service. I only really use it for an emergency stand in for my main bike, so it's an ideal workshop project.

So, come on technical bods, what should I have a look at next, once I've cleaned off all the crud from the rest of the bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:44 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a suggestion you could have a look at the rollers (in the centrifugal clutch).

Keeping a scoot at maximum for a length of time over a good few journeys tends to wear then smooth at one side (as they're in the same position against a moving surface). Quite easy to suss out once you get the cover off and you can marvel at the simplicity of the design Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:45 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at those pads, maybe fitting a new disk will keep you amused Wink .

Otherwise, change plug, clean air filter, check tyres, bleed brakes.

All the best

Keith

Jamie.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pad is supposed to have exactly what the name says "A pad" !!

Unless its just me, I cannot see any pad there Shocked

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:52 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
As a suggestion you could have a look at the rollers (in the centrifugal clutch).

Got any links to a useful webpage or an exploded diagram of that sort of thing?

Kickstart wrote:
Looking at those pads, maybe fitting a new disk will keep you amused Wink .

Definitely! I'll leave that until funds allow though, it's not very badly scratched, the rear brake is powerful enough that I've mostly been using that - although once the front pads have bedded in I'll probably look at pulling the drum apart and replacing that, how difficult will that be?

Quote:
Otherwise, change plug, clean air filter, check tyres, bleed brakes

Thumbs Up

Jamie wrote:
The pad is supposed to have exactly what the name says "A pad" !!

Unless its just me, I cannot see any pad there
Shocked

Fair point! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonnay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:

In the variator actually mate, the clutch is at the wheel end of the transmission casing and doesnt contain the rollers Wink

I wrote a guide to changing rollers and the drive belt on a scooter (a yamaha so should be the same principles.. well, WILL be the same actually), and that's here

Enjoy Smile Thumbs Up

Jon

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:48 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Jonnay.

What role do the rollers play, and would there be any benefit in getting fancy ones?

My scooter is a Yamaha Aerox YQ100 - so I assume it's already fully de-restricted? Much I can do to nudge up the top speed, or would that need a re-bore?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

<genericanswer>

Pass test and get a bigger bike

</genericanswer>

Smile

Makaveli_Rydah
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:02 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a YQ100 mate - has a sporty pipe and 125 rebore - gave me about an extra 8mph on the top end but basically killed off any real bottom end torque.

Other things that you should maintain yourself are....

Rear pads - exhaust off , wheel off , change
Rollers - front pulley off , variator unscrewed , pop the old ones out - new ones in
Belt - again front pulley off , belt off , belt on
Clutch - bell off , change , bell on
Oil ( gear box ) - small screw on the base of tranny case , open spill , put screw back in , open the screw on the rear top of the tranny case , refill .
Brake fluid - simple really , reservoir on the top right

It's a pretty easy engine to poke around in , just don't get too ambitious . Wink

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 21:23 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
<genericanswer>

Pass test and get a bigger bike

</genericanswer>

Smile

LOL

Piss off!

Bet you get more minors than I did! (1)

I did nearly fall off my 'ped as I rode to Tesco's, realising that I'd actually put up a thread on 'HOW DO I MAEK MI SCOOTER GO FASTA THAN 75MPH!?!!1' - after 20 months of riding 600cc bikes!

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 11 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw it off a cliff

Yes, I am going to continue with newb ped boi jokes all thread dammit, even though you do look like you could probably kill and rape me single handedly

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 01:03 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, there wouldn't be any raping involved - sorry to disappoint!

Is this the first thread in Workshop to involve rape?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 12 May 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, robby probably posted one on how to get the sidepanels off of a thai bride years ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1