Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ducati Vs Japanese Motorcycles

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:48 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jap VS Ducati?

Your write up is about looks and noise of the bikes……..and as it is an Italian Ducati, that’s an acquired taste.
I personally love the sound of a Duke, I love the looks, and I love the way they ride, but I don’t earn enough yet to take one on because I know for a fact they cost more to run than my Kwak.
More and more mechanics though are becoming Ducati trained, for example there’s one at 3 out of 4 of the largest garages in Cheltenham and they all say it’s not all that bad working on them.

I need a bike everyday, I couldn’t run a Duke because I earn less than 20K, I live in my own place and need to eat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
extreme3d wrote:
Wave.... you looked into the serviceing costs yet

Yea got given a good contact in dartford for £250 for my next service Thumbs Up

also you buggered up a little bit

Ducatis dont have an 8,000 miles service
they have a 600 6000 and 12000
or 1 or 2 years depending on which comes first.

Soz.. but you know what i meant Embarassed

But make sure that he/she's a proper ducati service agent. You will struggle to sell it on if it doesn't have a full ducati service history. £250 to me sounds too cheap to be true.

slash
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

and in terms of the engine being the heart of the ducatis........better carry a difribulator around with ya! Wink he he he

might need that lil bump start fro time to time lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Jap VS Ducati?
I personally love the sound of a Duke, I love the looks, and I love the way they ride, but I don’t earn enough yet to take one on because I know for a fact they cost more to run than my Kwak.

I need a bike everyday, I couldn’t run a Duke because I earn less than 20K, I live in my own place and need to eat.

you dont need to earn that much to buy a duke, i mean you can get a 996 for about 4k.

Servcing costs are blown out of proportion by horror stories off £1000 services. which are most likely exaggeration or bull or they simple 'forgot' to service the bike and it dropped a valve.

although you cant use them everyday, or i wouldnt reccomend it, i now use a moped which does over 100 miles to £5
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Klause
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 06 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2valve dukes are even cheaper. 900 monster for under 2grand easily.

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
Am i the only person in the world that thinks Ducati's just sound like wet farts? Confused

No. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colezxr
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:37 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
Dark wrote:
Am i the only person in the world that thinks Ducati's just sound like wet farts? Confused

No. Laughing

i think so too, but you forgot to add the babies rattle to the list Thumbs Up

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 00:39 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin wrote:
Dark wrote:

No. Laughing

Even my dealer admits this but you really need a new system to make them sound sweet.

About the service costs my dealer said about £170 for a normal serviceand upto £300 after 10k miles or something to check a load of shit, i wasnt even listening lol this was on a 999 also.

Dukes keep there money pretty well.

When wave comes to sell it i doubt he will lose any money what so ever for what he payed for it.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:

They sound good at idle (ignoring the rattle), but then they sound the same everywhere. Going to the shops, or hooning at 130mph... it sounds the same. There's nothing like an IL4 screaming like a banshee as it hits 14,000rpm... Very Happy

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:57 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere in here (cant be bothered to find it) someone pointed out the mv rip off looks of the 999 / 749 ... and how much nicer the 916/748 bikes are...while i agree entirely (especially about the old ones beeing styled much more attractivly!) i think i should point out that thyre also heavily influenced by a competitors bike in appearance. The single sided swing arm, the twin underseat cans, the twin lights, even the air intakes below them, and a jap bike did it first, the nr750

https://www.diseno-art.com/images/NR750.jpg

https://petiteducat.free.fr/748%20ouie.jpg

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:07 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mid 80s Cagiva Freccia C9 (designed by the 916 designer) had twin underseat exhausts. Air intakes there were quite common (hell, FZR600 has them). First chain drive bike on the road in Europe with a single sided swinging arm was the Aprilia AF1 (and came out the same year as the VFR400 with a single sided swinging arm).

All the best

Keith

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:55 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact is probably only 3% of ducatis have ever been near a race track.. (or will)

Just like 3% of 4x4's have ever been on anything more than their gravely drive..

They do make a nice looking bike but i'd rather have that gt550, i dont own a bike to impress anyone as i'd imagine most people on here don't.. vividly remember seeing 2 ducati owners both trying to bump their bikes seemingly because it had rained Rolling Eyes

Ducatis just scream to me..

its italian
looks better + cost more than yours so i'm superior
sounds like michael j fox carrying a box of loose change..

I'm glad they exist, but the bank manager looking down his nose at everyone else on the road 2 days a year is just a bit lame.. like 2 wheeled ferarris really :/

(i'm not referring the the very very few who ride reguarly instead of the annual tart about, but still think theres loads of equally fun, far better performing/carracterfull bikes out there, like jap cruisers piss allover harleys in every department and everyone knows it.. yet they dont seem to sell nearly as well)

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! I'm not alone after all, Ducati's do sound like bad flatulence! Cool

Putting a system on them doesn't make them sound sweeter either in my opinion, it just emphasises their fartness by making them louder Laughing

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:32 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i realise all the aspcts were done before seperatly, but as a whole the 916 is heavily influenced by the nr750, Tamburini's own words no less, i cant remember what article he said it in now, will have a look im sure i still have it somewhere Thumbs Up

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 12:59 - 07 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet wrote:
i realise all the aspcts were done before seperatly, but as a whole the 916 is heavily influenced by the nr750, Tamburini's own words no less, i cant remember what article he said it in now, will have a look im sure i still have it somewhere Thumbs Up

Agree, as the NR750 seems to be the bike that strung all those details together before the 916 was released (4 years or so earlier in fact).

cLaTTeReD
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:31 - 09 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
Fact is probably only 3% of ducatis have ever been near a race track.. (or will)

pmsl how can it be "fact" and "probably"

sorry that just amused me

Kit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i'm thinking about getting a duke monster 600 and i was searching the forum for related articles/threads, but I don't understand this arguement really.

So wave is saying that dukes are pure racing machines, but I watched moto gp on the weekend in which rossi came in second with a broken wrist bless him! and i don't remember there being one in the top 5? if dukes can't get infront of two injured riders then they can't be "all that and a bag of potato chips"

Seems everyone is baseing there opinion on what is the fastest best cournering.... blah blah. But if all bikes where like that we wouldn't be able to ride them day to day without seeing a cyropracter weekly...

But then again i would tend to say that the original post was pretty provakotive.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 00:05 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So wave is saying that dukes are pure racing machines, but I watched moto gp on the weekend in which rossi came in second with a broken wrist bless him! and i don't remember there being one in the top 5? if dukes can't get infront of two injured riders then they can't be "all that and a bag of potato chips"

Little bit of a problem there - Capirossi was also injured and Alex Hoffman was standing in for the injured Gibernau. Besides, there's a little bit of a difference between MotoGP race bikes and MotoGP-inspired road bikes.

Kit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:18 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

I don't know much about moto gp, i've only just taken an interest sorry miss quoteing.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it is not quite as fast as the other bikes, it is still impossibly fast. Like saying that the Minardi was a slow car in F1, it wasn't, it is still in mortal terms an extremely fast car. It was just relatively slow.

Same with that Ducati moto gp road bike, with 200rwhp and moto gp aerodynamics there is good reason to think that we are talking the first production roadbike to top 200 mph, it is very fast indeed. Just because the bike it is based on is not consistently fast in moto gp, there is no reason to assume it is slow.

I also find a slight air of arrogance amongst the Japanese manufacturers, the self imposed limit of 186mph, the self imposed 300bhp limit on road cars, there is a distinct 'we are better than you and we have to limit ourselves to stop us from crushing you' attitude. And how the hell does the skyline become so overrated when all it is a 1500kg wobbling mass that can be out accelerated by a small kitten.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:03 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit was imposed in the hope that governments wouldn't start to impose legislation banning bikes or introducing much harsher limits - makes sense to me.
I'd hope other companies also stick to it, though can understand it being ignored for massively expnsive 'specials.

lilredmachine wrote:
And how the hell does the skyline become so overrated when all it is a 1500kg wobbling mass that can be out accelerated by a small kitten.

Because a well driven one may well get down a twisty country lane faster than a well ridden bike.

Didge
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
Dark wrote:

Bugger Crying or Very sad

You've clearly not had a Grandad's oldie bullet 500 brigade drive past your house yet... after that even a Ducati sounds like a turbine Laughing

Nothing wrong with the sound of a turbine, they sound bloody awesome.
Anyway, back on thread, I've owned 2 Ducatis over the years, an old Darmah 900, and a '99 Monster 900. Both bikes were as reliable as fuck. Yes, modern Ducatis need to be serviced at the proper intervals, but that comes with the territory.
Changing cam belts, as has been mentioned, is cheap and easy to do with a couple of hex keys.
My Monster needed a major service every 2 years/12,000 miles, so in my case, every 2 years, I had to splash out £400 quid for the major service. Not really big money is it? The minor servicing, I did myself.
Ducati are a small company, and are known for their v-twins, why should they change? They sell well, are (despite the non-owners perceptions), easily as reliable as any Jap bike, and in the case of the air-cooled engines in particular, are a lot easier to work on than many Jap bikes.
At the end of the day, it comes down to choice. As I mentioned before in another thread, we all have our own particular tastes, and long may that continue.
I personally hate IL4s, and heavily favour V-twin engines. That's not to say IL4's are crap, it's just that they aren't for me. There are many others who feel like I do, so thank Christ for Ducati/Buell/HD and the other (usually) small bike manufacturers who exist and give us all a choice.

Slickfish
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati have only ever been any good at racing.
kind of makes me laugh how they get bigged up for the engine and all their superbike wins, when alot of them where when 4cly bikes had to be 750, so japs though rite then and made something called a SP1, now what happend the first season that was raced hhhmmmmmmmm. So Ducati got beat at their own game.
They are good bikes, but to get anything like the performance of a jap bike you have to pay alot more!.
Any of the current 600's will had the standard 749 its ass on a plate.
Just a very on sided write up bud, alot of Ducati riders tend to think they are better than people who ride jap bikes, me I don't care where your bikes made your a biker!.

I do like Ducati's, they look really nice, they do go well, and they continue to get the results racing.
But for the money their are better bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 12:39 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
although you cant use them everyday, or i wouldnt reccomend it, i now use a moped which does over 100 miles to £5

Let me get this straight. You can't ride your duke all the time, because it'll break. Ride it when you want to look good, and the rest of the time use a scooter.

Whereas my Jap 4 does around 1500 miles a month, and never skips a beat. Hasn't had "a service" in 3 years, and has nothing really wrong with it.

And Ducati's are better than Jap bikes because??? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 13:27 - 05 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they are better at what they actually are, sports bikes.
So much more focused then for example your SRad, you can use them everyday but just like a suzuki it will rust like hell and stuff just gets gumped up.
You do need to service them, it would probably go as long as a jap bike, but most owners will expect FSH and i am only to happy to get it.

its a matter of opinion but Italian bikes (especially ducati) always build a bike with more soul rather than the latest and greatest 1 more bhp and 1 gram lighter gsxr.
Its different, It works and its dam good Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4