Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ninja & Cbr RR?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Ninja & Cbr RR? Reply with quote

My R6 is gone so now i'm going to look for another bike, insurance is being sorted out & i'm getting some money together so my choice is between the (04)Honda RR & (04)Kawasaki Ninja 636.

Obviously looking for the best performance & reliability, i heard the RR was a bit tame compared to the other 600s & the clocks are ugly.

Noway i'm missing the rest of summer!

Cheers.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the styling of the CBR, by quite a bit really.

Test ride both, see what you prefer riding and what fits better.

Would have thought the Ninja would be a bit cheaper though.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do, i'm also 6ft 3'' & heard the RR is a bit smaller then the others. I plan to test ride both hopfully, i'm gessing there not old enough to know any noticable faults?

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot about a J2 ZX6 m8?

i know of a lovely one goin, catch me on msn for more details of it!!!

Just found the pic of it...
https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=279359505

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sit on a 06 RR today, fitted like a glove and im about 5" 7 Embarassed
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R6 felt like it was the right size for me, don't know if it would feel right any smaller.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:11 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Ninja & Cbr RR? Reply with quote

The RR is just as fast as the Ninja pretty much, infact an 'average' rider may be faster.
However I suspect it may 'feel' a bit slower than the more aggressive ninja, which should be more fun when ridden anger, I reckon.

There was some very good deals on brand new ninjas recently - £5.5k 0% over three years! Don't know if htat's still available, though.

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fast rider yet, only in straight lines whilst i'm learning. They will probably feel the same to me, but just heard that the RR was more forgiving which i wouldn't like as i'm used to mine.

I'm looking forward to a smooth ride, i know alot of 1st gen owners have the gear probloms & clunkyness of the R6, also having to double accelerate to get power Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:18 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the RR is a bit more forgiving in general, however this is linked to a smoother ride.

I did consider the RR a bit 'blander' than the ninja.

Last edited by G on 09:24 - 11 Aug 2006; edited 1 time in total

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been riding and what year R6 did you have?

If you don't mind me asking that is. Wink

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 months now & it was a 2000. I'm edging towards the Ninja a bit think. Both would probably feel better then mine because mine wasn't smooth. Smile

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a later model R6 it should be a lot smoother ride?

Just read the post about your accident, glad to see you are ok. It's worthwhile going back to the road where you had the accident and taking some photos of the junction to send off to the insurance. Don't forget to claim for your kit too.

Good luck.

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not keen on the 2004 R6, doesn't do it for me & i'd like somthing diffrent as there very similar, wouldn't mind the 06 but that's too exspensive.

I've got some pic of the road on my phone, they asked about all my gear too which was handy. Thumbs Up

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja! I've not ridden an 04 model, but i have ridden an 05 and an 06 and they rock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:27 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why people can say the RR's blander than the ninja, but I just think it's alot nicer to ride fast, it so forgiving etc that I find it alot less overloading to ride, hence It helps me to go faster.
If you get me, I know it will do this, I know it will do that, and it does, where as the 636, is abit more harsh, more on edge.
I found it skipping over bumps, and easily losing line in corners with bumps, that the RR soaks up.

Don't get me wrong the difference isn't huge, but for me the RR's my prefered choice, hence I own one.

But you do need to ride them both, and see which suits you.

I rode the 03 ninja, RR, R6 & GSXR - not all before I bought my bike though! Rolling Eyes , and I prefer the RR to the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 13:52 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall Joe having each model in quick succession.

Out of the latest models, despite being a 'Honda Man', it would be a tough decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:13 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
I seem to recall Joe having each model in quick succession.

I had an 04 RR and have the 05 (C model - the 04 is the B model). I really like both bikes but definately had to work the Honda more to get the same performance out of it. The ZX's handling out of the crate was good but very prone to shaking it's bars over bumps. However, once I got my suspension set up for my weight the handling and stability easily matched the RR.

My advice is to get a decent test ride and both and decide then Thumbs Up

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Honda is likely to be about £1k more for a similar bike.

You should pick up a low millage mint B1 for £3700ish privately which is peanuts for an 04 bike.

I have the B2 which is essentially the same and I love it. They are very aggressive bikes and can feel a little harsh at times on the road. A lot of people change the rear spring weights if it becomes an issue. Personally I get on fine with it and at 6' and 11stone it should only get better if you weigh a bit more.

I suspect the Honda will hold it's value better and may be more reliable, but you pays your moneys you takes your choice.

The 636 motor is very comliant as a road bike and has suprising amounts of torque for day to day overtaking.

The digital rev counter is a bitch to see in certain conditions, but thats hardly an important factor imo.

FFIW they rock on track Thumbs Up

Misc
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both sound like good bikes with no known problems as of yet which is good. I like them both, both look good, RR has the edge with the undertail exuast. It's a close one, think it will come down to what's available at the time, i'm picky & want the RR in black & 636 in green. & the test ride off course although they will probably feel the same to me. There both good in there own way.

both equally good looking (Only in these colours tho). Smile
https://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1628/1hc9.jpg
Cheers

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue is where it's at Thumbs Up

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:31 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new zx's may have changed but the 2001 J2's are not as easy to jump on to as the cbr's.

The cbr's are easier to ride, there is more of a power band, the zx is same power all the way through this makes the low end bite a lot more than I found the cbr did.

Personally I went for the zx over the cbr's I tried for the looks, for the fact that it felt more racey and powerful and price, the cbr's where about 800 to 1k more for the same age etc.

I'd say the cbr's are easier to ride but the zx more fun and more of a thrill. I'm only 5'9'' so size wasn't a problem on either.

Ian

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:39 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 05' ZX6R so not sure how that compares to the 04' model. Its got the same 636cc engine in it I guess so in that regard I can highly recommend it. Is really smooth if you want to overtake something at say 30mph as you can just easily cruise past it and also its pretty comfy and usable in town.

When I test rode it I was so impressed by it that I put down the deposit a couple of weeks after and didn't even bother test riding anything else as it seemed so f*cking sweet. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolfox1 wrote:
Well the new zx's may have changed but the 2001 J2's are not as easy to jump on to as the cbr's.

The cbr's are easier to ride, there is more of a power band, the zx is same power all the way through this makes the low end bite a lot more than I found the cbr did.

Which CBRs did you ride? The new RR Confused.

My J2 ZX6 definitely had more of a powerband than the new RR.
I found there was a first kick at about 7k, then around 10 it /really/ took off.

However, the newer bike I would say does feel completely different. It does have more midrange, but still has a definite 'powerband' to my mind.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Ninja & Cbr RR? Reply with quote

G wrote:
There was some very good deals on brand new ninjas recently - £5.5k 0% over three years! Don't know if htat's still available, though.

The price new is still £5499 (here) but I think the 0% finance via Kawasaki ended in July.

coolfox1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:40 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
Blue is where it's at Thumbs Up

very nice Very Happy

Wish I'd been able to afford the newer look one but given how sold I am on the zx I'm sure I'll have one in time.

Back to the power band thing, I really don't feel a band on mine, I get a chronic pick up no matter what revs or gear I'm in and from take off it feels the same all the way up to red line. Though I will admit it's rare I take it up to max revs, just don't really feel I need it.... well yet anyway. I ride it hard and fast but the bike to me has more than enough to give with only using 3/4 of it's ability.

I don't know the full history of my bike, it's been around for 5 years and only done 5k miles, maybe it ha been modded in some way, guess I'd need somebody that used to a zx to see if it feels the same. But don't know any bikers in real life.

Ian
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2