BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Note to self

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:34 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Note to self Reply with quote

Do not try and start a kickstart bike, with your hand.

My sore wrist thanks you.

Anyone else been attacked by their own bikes?

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Note to self Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Bikes fault my arse, you've got wankers cramp. Rolling Eyes

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeVFR wrote:
Nope.

Well that was a nice interesting contribution Luke!

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:48 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Re: Note to self Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Toby R wrote:

Bikes fault my arse, you've got wankers cramp. Rolling Eyes

I think that's the most hilarious and original response to the word 'wrist' I have ever read! Especially on the internet!

was actually from slappin yer ma when me tea wasn't on teh table Smile

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:53 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm here all week. Whistle

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 03:25 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I parked my bike on the hill, and left it in neutral, in a very wobbly position, and ran to my gate to open it, heard a grinding noise. The noise was from the sidestand, slowly coming up as the bike rolled forward, I ran towards the bike and grabbed it just in time, and in doing so it hit me square in the nuts.

Another time was when I tried to stop my bike on the same hill, this time leaving it in gear facing upwards so it wouldn't roll down again. Without thinking, because I'd been on the road a long time and it was winter, I simply let the clutch out to stall the engine and leave it in gear. The bike lurched forward, then backwards, right into my manberries and left me feeling sick and confused.

I don't think the bike liked me very much. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

was starting the old fellas norton and i got "spit back" for those of you who dont know its were the kickstart fires back up due to the sparkplug ingniting again.
Damn near shot me through the roof.

also the kickstart dropping and my leg hitting the ground with great force.

had the usual lecky shock and the bike falling on my on my other bikes.

Steve.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:15 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could start me RS250 by hand easily enough. Same with the CRM125.

Though I do remember having the cg kickstarter come off me foot, slip back and hit me in the shin a few times!

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another kickback victim Laughing

I got my shin skinned by my YZ250 kickstart on an unsuccessful starting attempt Neutral was wearing shorts Embarassed

Vin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot day, got home, ditched all the gear and put on some shorts. Went to put the bike in the garage and left some of my leg on the still very hot exhaust. Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried bleeding the rear brake for a couple of hours, it left bruises on the palm of my hand, and not forgetting trying to hammet the rear axle through and knocking the bike over onto my head Embarassed

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 11:45 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL kicked back many times hard enough that I briefly thought I might have broken my foot.

All part of the fun of riding a big single with no electrics Smile

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kick backs hurt, an evil KX500 had me limping for a week Sad

Essex_Mike
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:16 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

.i haven't experienced kickback with my tzr125 yet. n hopefully won't have to Shocked

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my electric start was broke on my bike i had to kick start it and having shorts legs dont help with this kickstart.

i parked on a hill and left it in gear, i had to take it out of gear and go round the other end to kick it, but it seemed ok, after about 5 attempts i lost the rag with it, kicked it hard and it came off its stand, i was still holding on to it and it rolled off and crashed withme ontop of it. Embarassed petrol and everything was pouring everywhere. and people where coming out helping me pick it up Embarassed Embarassed

i got the kick start fixed as i refused to go near it until then and i got one strong leg from it.

Zanith
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:37 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall any moments of being attacked by the bike as such, but i remember a nasty incident a few years back when i had the 125.

I had just finished work and had finished putting on my helmet and gloves, starts the bike up and then begins to pull off. I swear i've never hit the ground so fast in my life Shocked i'd only left the bloody disk lock on Embarassed . Work friends checked to see if i was ok, i was but the mirror on the left side was smashed and my pride even more so.

What sucked even more was i just had new mirrors the earlier week where i had my first spill in the rain Sad .

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:43 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already learnt not to attempt the kick start with my hand, as i end up with scrapped knuckles from catching it on my foot peg.

I have also had the kick back thing on the back of my leg when my foot has slipped off leading to a very sore calf muscle.

O the joys of not having electric start Confused

Essex_Mike
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:50 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so can someone explain what kickback is, n why it happens. as im a bit confused lol Rolling Eyes

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickback on a CG is fucking vicious, dread to think what it's like on a _big_ single...

Dragonfly
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

also leave nasty bruise on your shin when kickstart comes back at you Crying or Very sad well mine flicks back with violent force anyway.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 14:14 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mate of mine, when I was at school, suffered a cracker..

Superdream 250, with a dodgy spark-plug lead meant it would sometimes fire on one cylinder.

no problem for him, he'd just give it a gentle nudge with his foot, and it would be pushed on propery...

except for one day, when it was very wet...

He started the bike, cough-cough-cough, he nudges the plug with his foot as usual...

and *POW*, he leaps off the bike, it falls over and he's just standing there, doubled up.

The sparkplug earthed via his wet shoe to the only other earthed point on his body.. being the zip on his jeans.

Poor bugger got a HT spark zap thru the nads.

laugh??? we nearly shat! Laughing

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not proper kickback, thats just the mechanism returning to the normal position, on older bikes such as nortons and such im pretty sure it was the engine that knocked the kickstart back, so you would be launched a few feet in the air if you tried to keep it in the downwards position Laughing . Ive tried using the kickstart with my hands and with a bare foot, started it once by hand, but it was bloody painful since i scraped my knuckles on the peg anyways. Mind you this was on the 50cc RX! The kickstart on my old BSA was just a lost cause, i think it started from a kick less than 10 times in the time i had it, that bike taught me how to bumpstart Wink

Essex_Mike
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:37 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, thank god for bump starts. Cool

Yoshi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:19 - 12 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

TS250 does it sometimes, it's a bit of a git to start, think I need to check out the carbs/fuelling as it ain't running quite right.

It's a crazy nuts machine. Having ridden the 400 I was in the "it's just a little 250" mentality, and snapped open the throttle in first... Christ, front wheel shot up!

Best £200 I have ever spent.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1