Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

stripping electrics on a honda c90

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:06 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: stripping electrics on a honda c90 Reply with quote

i've been offered a cheap honda c90 to rag around a field, is it possible to remove all wiring and battery and just run it on the kick start, if not what parts of the wiring loom can i remove?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:12 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why remove it?

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:14 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lighter and less to go wrong. going down the rat bike theory of if you don't need it, don't have it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:19 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh grasshopper, you have much to learn in the field of zen motorcycling.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it.".

It works now. No garauntee it will work after being messed with. Wait 'till it breaks (which is frankly, highly unlikely with a C90) THEN tear it out.

-Ali-
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:22 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ahh grasshopper, you have much to learn in the field of zen motorcycling.

"If it aint broke, don't fix it.".

It works now. No garauntee it will work after being messed with. Wait 'till it breaks (which is frankly, highly unlikely with a C90) THEN tear it out.

i'll consider it, but i'd still like to know whether it would work

xxxrated
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:28 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it will. but if you want to be lighter take a dump before riding.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I built one for fun-class drag racing last year, mine had 3 short wires on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the wiring. Depends to an extent on which C90 you have? What year? Round or square headlamp?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was a cub90 I do believe the early models MUST have a battery fitted to run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ive been thinking abouyt getting a cub for a while...well few weeks...im going through this faze again where i want a rat bike like the purple helmets use...anyway if its for field use you whould do what they do and bung a motorcross front end on to make the ride a little smoother, and leave all the electrics be more reliable with them in place
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 22:04 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a butcher's at some of these - should be able to work out what bits aren't needed.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooow the goodies that you can get for a c90 ( or Cub...) you can get different cams and 110cc kits for fairly cheap. I believe the Purple Helmets people run 110cc kits. https://www.monkey-bike.co.uk/Docs/main1.htm Thats a site that sell "performance" parts for them (click the little tuning parts logo, top left)

And it should run all day, great little bike, My friend has one at his house in Sweden, he uses it to drag around a petrol lawn mower, works a treat Laughing

hazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i mean btw, also to add the 110cc kits require the crankcase to be machine out a little but can show speeds of up to 100 MPH!!!
3 Honda NC50's(Sold)-->'72 Puch Maxi S (Sold, want it back!)--> '90 Yamaha RXS 100 (Stolen)--> '87 Honda Cub 90(Sold) --> '95 Kawasaki Eliminator (Sold) --> '98 Bandit 600 (Sold) -->'07 SV650S (Current)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 31 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be careful mixing and matching the C90 engine parts I had three to strip and use and they all had something different. The C70 had hotter cams but the cub90 has s ballbearing camshaft. The ATC70 has the biggest valves BTW. You can put an ATC70 head on a C90 barrell and the lot onto a C70 engine for a bigger bore high-compression engine if you like but you have to use the c90 oil pump drive and you have to turn the skirt of the piston down for the longer stroke crank of it will hit the crank webs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1