Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DT125 fuel consumption

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: DT125 fuel consumption Reply with quote

Calling all guys with DTs and 2 stokes in general! I´m slightly worried about my fuel consumption... currently I have to fill up every 110ish kilometres, which is only about 60 or 70 miles. Is this normal or slightly rediculous?

I'm ragging it, but not abusing it. I don't tear around at 70mph, always let it warm up, don't leave the choke in, and it's not leaking out. So what can I do to improve my fuel economy? thanks!

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work out the MPG first.

So you're getting 70 miles from brim to reserve? How much fuel you putting in to fill it up again?

My cagiva 125 gets 180-220KM / 10L.

-> 50 to 62MPG.

Anything less than 45MPG and i'd be worried.

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn your crazy english counting systems, lol. I have no idea how many litres are in a gallon, so I've done it in european and google helped me out with the conversion.

I am currently doing about 7 litres per 100 km/60 miles.
(100 km) / (7 l) = 33.6020835 miles per gallon Shocked Shocked I hope that conversion was wrong.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or ~40MPG if you work it out right.

Might be a bit low.

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thanks. I've heard DT owners on here talking about they do 100 miles on one tank, etc, so it it probably is quite low. Should I get a mechanic to check it out or is there anything I can do?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double check your figures. keep a few reciepts from filling up. Do a whole tank of trying to make it last i.e. not using the power band.

Should hit 60MPG when taking it easy.

First step of looking into the mechanical side would be to check teh spark plug against THIS and see if the jetting is too rich.

Then pull the air filter out and make sure it's clean. If someone has put in a larger carb jet to "make it faster" then that will use more fuel. Same with the power valve, sometimes DT's are jammed open to make them "faster".

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 30 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention the carb jet thing, when I bought it the dude said that when the exhaust derestriction was removed, they enlarged the jet for some reason which was beyond my grasp. I'll look into it.

I'll also try to make this tank last and see what comes of it. thanks.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get around 110ish miles from a tank with reserve left. Tank is 10.5L total capacity? and reserve is about 2.5L. So i get 110 miles out of 8L which is roughly 2 gallons. so 55mpg Very Happy I do tend to keep my DT in the powerband though and I ride swiftly Smile

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 06 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I filled up the other day. Results: I filled up at 110 km without reserve, consuming a total of 7.5 litres.

40 MPG Neutral and this was taking it easy!

The plugs are fine, maybe SLIGHTLY more black than the brown it should be, but not much. The mechanic said I shouldn't touch the oil valve, because it was fine. The carbs and oil tubes have been recently cleaned. Have I just got a lemon of a bike?

Ah well, petrol prices just went down in spain. under a euro a litre now, so I can't complain, lol.

----
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
OK, I filled up the other day. Results: I filled up at 110 km without reserve, consuming a total of 7.5 litres.

40 MPG Neutral and this was taking it easy!

The plugs are fine, maybe SLIGHTLY more black than the brown it should be, but not much. The mechanic said I shouldn't touch the oil valve, because it was fine. The carbs and oil tubes have been recently cleaned. Have I just got a lemon of a bike?

Ah well, petrol prices just went down in spain. under a euro a litre now, so I can't complain, lol.

if you want more advice try here
https://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=66365&subForumID=181429&p=2
its a dtr 125 forum so there should be plenty of answers for ya there and more dt owners to compare with...
hope this helps...
dave..

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 08 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
I always get around 110ish miles from a tank with reserve left. Tank is 10.5L total capacity? and reserve is about 2.5L. So i get 110 miles out of 8L which is roughly 2 gallons. so 55mpg Very Happy I do tend to keep my DT in the powerband though and I ride swiftly Smile

is that standard or deristricted as i ve just got one and derestricted it in the exhaust and powervalve fully opened should i get bout same as you? cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 10 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have done is the earth the wire for the powervalve. Exhaust is still restricted (expansion pipe definately, but cant remember if the tail can is.. not that it makes much difference).

update. done 140 miles the other day. went into the reserve obviously but still made it to the petrol station when I started to worry about getting stranded..

I have an 04 DT mind. A few things have changed since the older ones.. The older ones were faster and had less restrictions. Mine even has a cat. A mate of mine told me I was talking shit till I showed him.

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I'm interested in your results lee, because you have an older one like me. My exhaust is derestricted, but not sure about the rest. I was unable to find the white tab inside the speedo, and have not touched the intake manifold yet.

I think I'm just gonna take it to a better mechanic than I have now... to check the jet thing, get a general check up, check the oil leaking from my gearbox (is this normal? not leaking much but it's oily) and get the handlebars tightened. still...

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats crazy. i get 50mpg from my fazer 600 if i had a "runaround" 125 id want more than that!
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I know. Another thing that's been on my mind: As I roll down the hill to my garage with the engine off, you can hear a faint metallic scraping sound, as if the brake callipers or something was gripping the wheel. I suppose I should get this checked out..?

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble wrote:
yeah, I know. Another thing that's been on my mind: As I roll down the hill to my garage with the engine off, you can hear a faint metallic scraping sound, as if the brake callipers or something was gripping the wheel. I suppose I should get this checked out..?

You do mean with the clutch pulled in dont you?

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

In neutral, does it matter whether it's in or not? When in gear I can barely push it, lol.

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

treble that noise could just be your chain scraping the swingarm have you checked if its too slack also what years your dt as i didnt know about a white tab thing in the speedo mine stops revving at 9000rpm wont go any higher that might be what it is Confused where bouts in the speedo is it cheers

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dtr125.co.uk/

That's where I got the info about derestricting it. My bike is 2003 but you might have the older version, not sure now. Each restriction is different for the 4 kinds of dtr that have existed...

Mechanic time tomorrow. Hope they don't rip me off Razz

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really buy a dt125 as a run around. For a start it's a 2 stroke, so will consume nearly twice as much fuel as a similar size 4 stroke. However 40mpg does seem a tad low, it is currently on par with my dr350 (though my tank is about 9 litres including reserve Laughing ) at 45 ish.

You may just have a particularly thirsty DT, there are many different types and the differences between years are large. They are also run in differently depending on the owner. Sometimes you'll get a bike that tops 80 and then another which won't crack 65.

treble
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 13 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitch of a bike then!

Even so, the spanish DTs seem to guzzle more fuel than the english ones. Maybe you guys have highter quality petrol? lol. At least it isn't slow... I got the bike for pure fun, not fuel consumption, reliability, and all the other sensible reasons people with 4 stroke 125s can name... It was a choice from the heart, not the brain!

Besides, 2 stroke is a dying breed. I had to own one before they all turn into dinosaurs Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even so, the spanish DTs seem to guzzle more fuel than the english ones. Maybe you guys have highter quality petrol? lol. At least it isn't slow... I got the bike for pure fun,

Well, there you go then. If you don't care then don't care! As fun bikes go, you got one of the best. My family has american cars, you always get the question of what the gas mileage is, usual answer is it doesn't matter, if you want to drive somewhere in one, you pay up!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1