Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which (Reliable) Supermoto?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

sub4sec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:41 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Which (Reliable) Supermoto? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Since i`m looking for a new trackbike, and will sell my roadbike i`ll have some money left for a supermotard. I`m not 'in to' supermotards and as a result of that dont know which bike is suitable to my needs. Basically i`m looking for a realiable - not too expensive - sm. (I`ll probadly park it outside). I doesnt have to be a hardcore bike, but i like to have a some power (even if this means a bit more weight).

A friend of mine has a couple of husqevarna`s, but these are expensive and unreliable. I`m not looking for this kind off bikes, i really want it to be reliable and don`t want to spend to much on it. It has to deliver some fun off course. Any ideas on sm`s that suit my needs? Any input is welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:49 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ baghira street moto/mastiff is well put together, lots of powder coating, stainless and quality fittings. Cycle parts are top-notch, finish is good, lots of trick bits fitted as standard (marazocchi forks, WP shock, grimecha brakes).

The XTZ660 engine isn't as 'full on' as many but is enough to put a grin on your face as is the way of big thumpers. It is certainly well regarded in the reliability stakes.

That said, I did blow mine up, but as far as I know, I'm the only person to have achieved this. They sent the engine back to Germany to find out what the hell happened (primary failure of a conrod, taking most of the rest of the engine with it).

sub4sec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, there arent many MZ`s around here though. I`d like to buy the bike second hand. And i`d like a 4 stroke over 2 stroke as well, forgot to add that.

Any other bikes you recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dischord
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll have a tough time finding a factory built supermoto bike that meets your requirements. If it was me I would keep an eye out on ebay for offroaders that have already been converted, it's a popular thing these days so shouldn't be hard to find one. Look out for -

Honda XR400
Suzuki DR 350
Kawasaki KLR
Yamaha TTR / WR

all should be great fun and last forever really!

Check out my vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/KTMSparky/videos

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:11 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few factory built ones now, but all still quite expensive.

Have you played with trail bikes generally?
I was quite suprised how much grip road biased tyre on my DR600s trail sized wheels had.

Only thing I'd want to sort really was the weak front brake in that case.

Generally with these bikes, you've got to have quite a lot more weight to get decent power from a more reliable bike. Ie something like the KLR650 could sit at about a ton, but was 160kg or so dry weight - which starts to beg the question what it offers you over a road bike.

You could always buy my track and road SV650s of me, then get some long forks for the road SV [/spam] Razz

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub4sec wrote:
thx, there arent many MZ`s around here though. I`d like to buy the bike second hand. And i`d like a 4 stroke over 2 stroke as well, forgot to add that.

Any other bikes you recommend?

There's a few out there if you look on biketrader and fleabay. Depends what "not expensive" means I suppose.

They are a 4-stroke by the way.

It's the only one I've ever ridden other than my KLE conversion which I suppose cost around £2000 to buy and convert. Would have been cheaper and easier to get new rims built onto it rather than fit cast alloy wheels with the benefit of hindsight.

this is my old MZ street moto:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/mz.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:34 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

You could always buy my track and road SV650s of me, then get some long forks for the road SV [/spam] Razz

Yeah, you could fit a KTM fromt end and jack up the rear like my mate did Cool .
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/simmer%20dim/svlerwick.jpg

sub4sec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda XR400
Suzuki DR 350
Kawasaki KLR
Yamaha TTR / WR

Those are 2 strokes rigth? I think i`ll try to find a converted off road bike, prodably easier to find Smile

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:46 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub4sec wrote:
Honda XR400
Suzuki DR 350
Kawasaki KLR
Yamaha TTR / WR

Those are 2 strokes rigth? I think i`ll try to find a converted off road bike, prodably easier to find Smile

No, they are all 4 strokes!

Get a DRZ400, they are a good mix of fun and reliability, bit heavy but not compared to some other more reliable supermotos.. good off road and okay on, bit underpowered but hey supermotos arent made for speed!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:47 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub4sec wrote:

All 4 strokes.

Personally, I'd go for the 600cc + bikes, as you're saying you want something with a bit more go.

My DR600s would hit just over 90 and aren't that highly tuned.
The KLR650 (about 30kg heavier) would just hit 100, but definitely wasn't as agile.

sub4sec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
sub4sec wrote:
Honda XR400
Suzuki DR 350
Kawasaki KLR
Yamaha TTR / WR

No, they are all 4 strokes!

Get a DRZ400, they are a good mix of fun and reliability, bit heavy but not compared to some other more reliable supermotos.. good off road and okay on, bit underpowered but hey supermotos arent made for speed!

Nice, always thought there were a lot of 2 strokes. I`ll go and checkou the DRZ400. Fun and reliability is what i`m looking for.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the DR350 presently, good fun with some onroad biased trail style tyres on. Haven't had any problems, frequent oil changes and following the maintenance handbook = key. Only prob i have is that it is near lethal in the wet. Will hold a good 70 cruise at about 6500 rpm (9500 red line), with room to get to about 85+ should the need arise. Also if you are using frequently on the road then you may want the larger tank... Mine is 9 litres, and lasts about 80 miles.

sub4sec
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s a small tank, but it`ll be enough since i wont use is for commuting or something. 85 is enough for the things i want to do on it

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just having a poke on Ebay for something to spend cash on...

A Honda NX650 dominator is claimed to have put down 32bhp on the dyno. Considering that a DRZ 400 will do the same (or more) it should make you realise just how softly tuned the engines are.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:05 - 01 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That honda supermoto is a travesty. Why they chose to put the dommy engine in a factory supermoto is totally beyond me.

Should have used the crf450. Less weight, more ponies.

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a suzuki engined CCM R30.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1