BCF: Bike Chat Forums

which KTM

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:16 - 11 Oct 2006    Post subject: which KTM Reply with quote

Quite fancy a KTM next year but I need one for commuter use maybe once or twice a week. Then trail riding at the weekend.

Thought about the 200exc (autolube model) what do you all think?

I assume the 4 strokes are a bit high matainance for every day use?

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were worried about reliability, so want to go for the 2 stroke?

Disclaimer
Do not buy one for commuting. You will be changing the oil after every long journey and expecting it to go bang shortly (the joys of riding with 2 fingers over the clutch). both the 2t and the 4t versions of high end supermotos need rebuilding regularly (obviously the 4t is more expensive to rebuild). you will have a top end of about 100, with the possibility of sitting at high rpm for extended periods of time on the motorway. Unless you are commuting through a city it will be a money pit. If you are commuting through a city then there is no better tool.

In terms of KTM, the larger engined (+ 600) models 4t wise are almost sensible, fun to ride and maintenance isn't to bad either. The smaller (around 450cc 4t) motors are too highly strung for realistic use on the road, screwed for power that the 600s have naturally. You may want to check out one of the softer street motos, such as the duke, as they are more biased towards road use. You lose some of the edges but it will definetley spend more time on the road.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:15 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'd agree that you want to avoid the EXC models for daily use.

While they aren't as tuned as the full on mx bikes, they're probably still a bit too much for daily use.

I believe the 200 uses most of the engine from their 125mx bike - with a larger cylinder to produce similar power in a lower state of tune.

I would like an EXC or Gas Gas EC for fun use, but no way I'd ride it every day.
Hopefully will have one at some point if I can sort my back out.

Considered something like the Honda CRM or Kawasaki KMX in 200-250cc varieties?

I've got a CRM125 which I'd be happy enough to commute on, as it's based on an NSR125 engine.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:33 - 12 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM off-road bike service intervals are measured in Hours.. not miles. They are competition machines, and need to be treated accordingly.

That being said, they are incredibly easy to work on compared to the Jap bikes.

If you're looking for a trail bikt, I'd suggest looking at the 250 EXC-F (formerly the 250 EXC Racing) which is the 4-stroke, road-legal trail bike (top speed about 60 if you thrash it). if you're looking for something for on-road, then the 450 or 650 would be better, although off-road and in soft-stuff it can take a bit more skill to keep traction on the bigger bikes, as their power can easily cause you to spin the wheel.

If you're also thinking about enduros and rallies, then bear in mind it's becoming more common for 2-strokes to be banned from entry, as their peaky power delivery means they can chew up soft ground more.

A friend of mine has had his exc-250 for a few weeks now, and it's a lovely machine.

a
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 233 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1