Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which supermoto?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Which supermoto? Reply with quote

ok will only be using ti for a weekend blast machine so which is best to go for?

Been looking at the CCM R30, DRZ400sm and as I'm not up to supermotos I don't know anymore lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:51 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Re: Which supermoto? Reply with quote

Sorry, did start replying to your other thread, but got distracted.

You haven't given a budget, but I reckon a good start is a KTM525 - this hasn't got as harsh service intervals as full on MX bikes; yet weighs 20kgs less than the DR and CCM; should have more power with a broader spread and has an extra gear.
Also some models come with both electric and kickstart.

To me something that seems a bit more in keeping with the supermoto ethos rather than more of a 'comuter moto'.

Believe they do supermoto versions as standard, but there's usually a few converted ones around as well.

Oh and I hadn't realised you could get a DR-SM for £2k; at this sort of price, maybe not such a bad deal; though I'd still go for something like the KTM.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have no budget really G as the RSV will be sold to fund it and all brand new ones are coming in no more than 5-6k. I want a proper supermoto and not a commuter and because I don't know alot about them I'm asking you wise men/women, it has to stand up to abuse though Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it in the family...

The current hot ticket is the Aprilia SVX 450 twin. Nice and light, compact and powerful. 6k brand new, but i reckon you could pick one up somewhere cheaper.

https://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4079/dscf0157mn0.jpg

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:44 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 525 is lighter and isn't far off on power comapred to the Aprilia either; and I believe the 525 makes peak power lower down.
The aprilia isn't too light, though is supposed to be quite a good package. Service intervals still aren't too great - it also has it's roots in a competition bike.

Husaberg do pretty decent supermotos, though I seem to hear about them going bang a bit.

If you want a real man's bike...
https://www.atkusa.com/ProductsIntimidator.aspx
Thought they did a supermoto; I'm sure someone would convert one for you Smile.
And yes; that's a 700cc 2 stroke! Can I have a go if you get one? Pleaaaaassseeee? Razz

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear god, that things a beast. Yes, lets be having a go if someone buys one of those Shocked .

Anyway, the Aprilia is obviously a decent package as it beat down the rest and won the supermoto championship this year. So it's performance is no at all in question or doubt. I also would hesitate at calling any bike that weighs 120 kilos wet heavy.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:46 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, winning a world championship doesn't always translate to a fast road bike, though it is often the case.

120kgs may not seem so heavy, but saying 20% heavier than some of the competition (proper converted comp mx bikes) sounds a bit worse - definitely not the sort of thing that would look very good on big sports bikes.

Apparently though the Aprilia has quite long service intervals for a fairly competition orientated machine; many recommended that you service it more regularly.

As I said, I believe it is supposed to be quite a good package, but to me sounds like it's not quite along the supermoto ethos - stupidly light with a big bulging midrange.

Seen the Aprilia get fairly annihilated by SV650s on track. Could almost hold it's own in the corners, but was left on the straights.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop arguing like girls and help me Twisted Evil

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:04 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy my SV650 race bike (with V5) and have a better bike for road use than any of the other supermotos, but with the easy to use wide range of torque.

Sorted Wink.

Razzy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop trying to sell me your crap G Laughing

Seriously, I don't want an sv Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 216 days between these two posts...

pantyliner
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:57 - 08 Jun 2007    Post subject: supermotot Reply with quote

WHats up all! After years of riding my R6 (and now being married) I am looking for a new ride that has more comfort and a better back seat for a weekend ride, these Supermotos look pretty cool anyone know a site that rates them all??

Faraz
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the drz400 is a good one and wheelies in every gear Cool

Faraz Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:01 - 10 Jun 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faraz wrote:
I heard the drz400 is a good one and wheelies in every gear Cool

No way a stock DRZ is getting it up in every gear I'd have thought - maybe doing wheelies through the gears, but any bike can do that with a decent rider pretty much.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 317 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1