Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NOT THIS AGAIN!!! *SOLVED*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tom_N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:42 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: NOT THIS AGAIN!!! *SOLVED* Reply with quote

I have been having bother with my Aerox 50 sometime now. It all started when the rubber hose that runs from the airbox to the carb came off. The bike wouldnt run with the airhose off but when i put it back on it always worked. This morning i went out to the bike and went up and down my lane a bit. All of a sudden the bike splutterd and stalled. I looked at the rubber hose and it was off. I put it back on and secured it very tightly with some wire. I went to start the bike again but it wouldnt go. I have been at it all day trying to start it but with no luck. Has anyone got any suggestions to what this could be or what to do to fix it.
Cheers and sorry for the big long paragraph.
Tam Thumbs Up

Last edited by Tom_N on 00:04 - 10 Nov 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ddracer
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the simple stuff like fuel and no wires have been knocked off by the hose coming loose?

Tom_N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:55 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i looked around for wires loose and cant see anything. What do you mean by fuel? I had the carb out and was examaning the jets and they seem fine. Is there a switch to turn the fuel off on a aerox as this may be the problem. Also i no i shudnt do this but when i twist the throttle to try to encourage it to start it makes a popping noise. I have run out of ideas and need any advice even small little things as they may of slipped my mind.
Cheers
Tam Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:57 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed_Freak1711 wrote:
well i looked around for wires loose and cant see anything. What do you mean by fuel? I had the carb out and was examaning the jets and they seem fine. Is there a switch to turn the fuel off on a aerox as this may be the problem. Also i no i shudnt do this but when i twist the throttle to try to encourage it to start it makes a popping noise. I have run out of ideas and need any advice even small little things as they may of slipped my mind.
Cheers
Tam Thumbs Up

by fuel he means is there petrol in the tank, duh Rolling Eyes

Tom_N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
by fuel he means is there petrol in the tank, duh Rolling Eyes[/quote]
Cheers thats great help. Of course there is fuel in the tank!!! Rolling Eyes
Any other sensible suggestions?
Cheers
Tam

meooo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fuel is pumped to the carb by a vacuum pipe from the carb.
So there is no fuel tap.
Was there any fuel in the carb when you took it off?
did you re-fit the (very small) vacuum hoses to the carb correctly? (one has something to do with the oil pump, the other the fuel pump)
Have you got any spark?...did you just foul the plug trying to start it?
Is the carb seated properly to the inlet manifold (straight)? this is the main cause of the air pipe coming adrift.
Check the reed valves......they can snap and cause this problem.
(they are @ the other end of the inlet manifold bolted to the crankcase.....you'll need a special torx socket to remove them)

Tom_N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

meooo wrote:
the fuel is pumped to the carb by a vacuum pipe from the carb.
So there is no fuel tap.
Was there any fuel in the carb when you took it off?
did you re-fit the (very small) vacuum hoses to the carb correctly? (one has something to do with the oil pump, the other the fuel pump)
Have you got any spark?...did you just foul the plug trying to start it?
Is the carb seated properly to the inlet manifold (straight)? this is the main cause of the air pipe coming adrift.
Check the reed valves......they can snap and cause this problem.
(they are @ the other end of the inlet manifold bolted to the crankcase.....you'll need a special torx socket to remove them)

Cheers for the reply. There was petrol in the carb bowl and she is sparking good. I have heard something about an airlocked or sumthing happens and that may cause it not to start. As for them little pipes where abouts roughly are they located on the carb? I cant check the reeds cos i have not got that tool. I may leave it to a mechanic if it isnt going to be expensive.
Cheers
Tam Thumbs Up

befdelta7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the spark plug isnt loose that has happened to me before, that caused the engine to die and not re-start

also what you could do is if the plugs tight is push the kick start down with your hand if it moves freely down and doesnt get hard to push then there is no compression, which means your piston and or rings are knackered (top-end rebuild and repair). that can and would be the cause of runing the engine lean or in your case running the engine without the airbox hose onto the carb. its happened to me twice before.

(((if you take the spark plug out the head of another scooter and push the kick start down you get the same effect as described above... having no compression. )))

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 08 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i as going to suggest piston and rings, when my honda sfx 50 rings got chewed, i tried rolling down a hill and pressing start button(electric and don't even ask about the hill thing)
so i took it round to garage who said there was no compression, so i ordered the rings got re-bore etc done cos that was the fault, taught me a lesson or two, now my NS may be facing same problem soon Sad

faith183uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:04 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the plug out, pour a small amount of fuel directly into the barrell (via the plug hole) put the plug back it and give it a try.
If it fires up then you have a fuel starvation problem.

Check the breather hole on the fuel tank too, if it is blocked then the bike wont start as the fuel cant flow. Quick test is when you open the tank cap it would hiss as air rushes in.

faith183uk
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:05 - 09 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a basic compression test, take the plug out, put your thumb over the plug hole and try to start the bike. If it blows your thumb off the the hole then compression is strong.

Tom_N
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 10 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i decided after trying all of everyones suggestions i would buy myself another plug. I out the plug in pressed the starter and it started and runs brilliantly again. I am really angry at myself for not checking this as it would of saved me alot of time and hassle. Anyway cheers for all your suggestions. Been great help.
Cheers
Tam Karma
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1