Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does this look like a good buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:02 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Does this look like a good buy? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Zxr400er posted a topic on a ZXR400 in Exchange & Mart selling on eBay and I would like your opinions, as I’m a total novice when it comes to buying bikes, and I have not long been on the road (passed my test but only been on the road for 3months in total) I do not know that much about bigger bikes.

As you might know I’m on a CG125 but am looking to upgrade to a 400 and restrict it pretty soon.

Now to the point of this topic... Does this bike look worth it? And why is it so cheap for everything it has had done to it? What are your opinions on it? The bike is only 7miles away from me and well within my budget.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4508195535&fromMakeTrack=true

Your help is always much appreciated

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, it does look well used, the paintwork looks very shabby. All really depends on what you want out of the bike - do you want to restore it to its former glory because if you do, then it'll cost you.

zxr400's apparently need engine attention at the 36-40k mile mark. New brake discs will set you back a fair bit, I'd say in between £100-200 for a new set.

its definetely got potential, I LOVE the paint scheme, I nearly bought the same bike myself 2 months back but it was in better condition. Remember, it is a 13 year old bike and its an import so bear that in mind when it comes to parts.

I wouldn't really want to pay more than £1200 for it. Again, its got potential, it just looks like this guy has used it as a workhorse...

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money do you have to spend ?

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:23 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it would cost a bit then and could potentially cost a fair bit in the not to distant future? Sad

I have a budget of £1500 max for the bike, and I just want a sports 400 preferably a CBR or VFR, but would settle for a GSXR of ZXR. I am not bothered if it is cosmetically damaged.

It would be used for fun and commuting. Like most people I would like a bike that’s reliable and does not need much work doing to it. But then I suppose anything can go wrong on any bike without warning.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he has said it needs something that will cost £50, but then theres the warped discs and they will cost you minimum £100 for new ones.

It looks an alright buy just don't buy it if you think you can fix the cosmetic side of it cheaply. Well, I suppose you could if you resprayed it but is that an option you really want to consider?

Don't take my opinion as gospel, hell no, wait until a few others pop in who know more than the morsel of knowledge I have on zxr's Smile

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £1500 you could get a much better bike.

Looking about for £1500, theres VFR400's and some ZXR400's on Autotrader and eBay, much better and newer than the tatty example on the above link.

Bare in mind with the one you posted, if thats what the paint looks like think what the engine maybe like inside! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:41 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking around (infact ive been looking tooooo much, if thats possible Very Happy ) Its just hard trying to find a decent bike, in my budget that isnt that far away. Sad

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 29 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to travel abit to get a decent bike.

Its better to travel 40 miles to get a cheap decent bike rather than 4 miles for a shed Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 01:20 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's only done 27,000, got another 10,000 miles out of her at least, it's had some engine work done already so I think it's an investment. Might be wrong tho. Razz

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if it's your first bike, you will probably not want a bike to worry about or have the hassle of having to fix it/spend more £££ on it.

I had a few minor problems (to fix) with mine, when I got it, and it really pissed me off. These problems meant the bike was not rideable/reliable and meant I was stuck far away from my house sometimes. Was 100% on the test ride. Rolling Eyes

However mine was cheap, and the problems were easy to fix. Now its runs fine. (fingers crossed)

Save up a bit more, or spend your £1500 on a bike in better condition. For the sake of say £400 would will get a bike in much better condition with no worries/hassle (hopfully).

You will easily find a (decent private sale) sports 400 for around 1500. Bearing in mind you can haggle so if one is advertised for say 1600/1700 you can probably get if for 1500, if you are nice and good with words. It helps to have a keen eye to spot any wear and tear item that mean the price can be lowered.

take somene with you who knows about bikes to assess the bike before purchace.

I'd spend a bit more and get a nice one. This is my opinion and what I would do.

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about over there, but those bikes go for about $3,100 new in these parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:09 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's really good i'd give Graeme France a ring, im saving up now Thumbs Up

Has a very good reputation from 400gb website and his prices are good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 195 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1