Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to remove a helmet from an injured person

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: How to remove a helmet from an injured person Reply with quote

Following on from this thread

Here is one recommended way of removing a helmet from an injured motorcyclist, should it be necessary.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh, dont do it, dont open urself up to acusations of blame, leave it to the proffesionals, paramedics and doctors.

My opinion anyway.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
tbh, dont do it, dont open urself up to acusations of blame, leave it to the proffesionals, paramedics and doctors.

My opinion anyway.

You wll cause more damage, leave it alone, would you want a stranger fiddling with yours, best intentions and all that?

Only remove if airway comprimised

Fadel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:51 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, you could end up doing more harm than good Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

culpan
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:57 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope looks like a bad idea to me, helmet could be the only thing holding the skull together. And what about spinal damage, just not worth it in my opinion

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting one of these and training how to use it is probably the best idea
Hats Off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to the medics. I'd be pretty pissed off if some good samaritan paralysed me by trying to be helpful.

NSR-Rulez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

as all the above have said don't remove it, major possibility that it will cause more harm than good.

look on https://www.performancemotorcycleparts.com/ on the visor sticker section there is a sticker that says

"IN CASE OF ACCIDENT PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE MY HELMET"

A bloody good idea in my eyes.

NSR-Rulez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:27 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In the original link it also indicated while doing this you have the collar and things available to put on straight away.

Unless the patient is definitely going to die then I recommend you dont even try, wait for the professionals.

I think FreshAl has the right Idea.

St Johns to a first aid for motorcyclists course which inclueds using the hatsoff kit.

https://www.sja.org.uk/essex/Emergency_Aid_For_Motorcyclists.htm

tgabber was going but it got rescheduled I dont know if he has done it yet.
I was thinking of doing something midlands way.

Regards
C

sanchezz_182
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:28 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if the rider has crashed an in K.Od and has swallowed his own tounge, would you then??

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

culpan wrote:
Nope looks like a bad idea to me, helmet could be the only thing holding the skull together.

Now that's something I just don't believe.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchezz_182 wrote:
what if the rider has crashed an in K.Od and has swallowed his own tounge, would you then??

Its impossible to swalllow your own tongue

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Quote:

My opinion anyway.

You wll cause more damage, leave it alone, would you want a stranger fiddling with yours, best intentions and all that?

Only remove if airway comprimised

That's why I said "if necessary". However if the rider is unconcious, the airway is compromised.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:38 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea. Thumbs Up thanks for the file mate Wink

It never hurts to know. Like he said if the rider is unconcious, the airway is compromised. If it was a friend I would like to help them.

What if the ambulance is 30mins + away Shocked

DynaMight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist and rip.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:51 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
What if the ambulance is 30mins + away Shocked

If they are breathing OK then you are not going to do any more good by removing their lid. Only real things you need to remove it for are if they are not breathing or if they are dieing of starvation, and I would hope the ambulance would be close enough to make the 2nd point irrelevant.

All the best

Keith

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:

That's why I said "if necessary". However if the rider is unconcious, the airway is compromised.

WTF, I am a cardiac nurse well versed in dealing with cardiac arrests, why would an unconscious patient have a compromised airway? Do you stop breathing when you are asleep?

A compromised airway would comprise of facial injuries, loose dentures, vomit, sweets, foreign bodies etc.

The only time the lid should come off is when they stop breathing and you have to start CPR

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with St John's. On their first aid courses you are advised to only remove the helmet if there is a risk of death. The same goes for moving them. A first aiders primary job is to preserve life.

Teaman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm with St John's. On their first aid courses you are advised to only remove the helmet if there is a risk of death. The same goes for moving them. A first aiders primary job is to preserve life.

you ONLY remove the helmet if the casulty isnt breathing,,
if you dont there gonna die anyway.

you can remove a helmet by yourself but its easyer if theres two of you,
Ive been taught how to do it by the police on a bikesafe but I hate to think I might have to do it one day
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
dmahon wrote:

WTF, I am a cardiac nurse well versed in dealing with cardiac arrests, why would an unconscious patient have a compromised airway?

It is generally accepted that a GCS < 8 requires definite airway intervention to prevent aspiration pneumonitis, to insure adequate oxygen delivery and to avoid hypercarbia. If a patient is responding only to painful stimuli or is unresponsive/unconscious, the GCS is or has a high likelihood of being less than 8. A definative airway means intubation (nasotracheal or orotracheal), or if necessary, a tracheostomy.

If you don't believe me I'm happy to provide references (or just read the ATLS manual in your hospital library) but here is a quick example anyway.

Last edited by syl on 15:27 - 25 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is generally accepted that a GCS < 8 requires definite airway intervention to prevent aspiration

This is a definition of a coma, yes intervention is required.

If you are up on ALS then why argue? You should know how to protect a persons airway, if they are breathing, why remove the lid?

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is generally accepted that a GCS < 8 requires definite airway intervention to prevent aspiration pneumonitis, to insure adequate oxygen delivery and to avoid hypercarbia. If a patient is responding only to painful stimuli or is unresponsive/unconscious, the GCS is or has a high likelihood of being less than 8. A definative airway means intubation (nasotracheal or orotracheal), or if necessary, a tracheostomy.

What nationality are you? Some different terminology in there Very Happy

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Quote:

What nationality are you? Some different terminology in there Very Happy

British. I did just cut and paste the first couple of lines of that paragraph from an American site (ATLS is, after all, an American invention), but I don't recognise any different terminology in there myself. Confused

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
orotracheal

Usually called Endotrachael tube here in blighty

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

dmamon, I think your profession gives you a great advantage but for most people I think it need to be more considered action.

Ie you talk about protecting the airway but if they were not actually having a visible problem I would not have a clue, I certainly would not try an intubation unless I was really convinced they were going to die before help arrived.

I mean its one thing watching them with a pen knife and bic pen on TV but the idea of doing it Shocked

I think I need some training - On the plus side most of daily bikes have a first aid kit now with those foil blankets for the less severe injury.

Regards
C
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2